PDA

View Full Version : Been offered TiVo from virgin media. They worth it over v+?

colin mckenzie
29th May, 2011, 09:07 AM
As above really. Any advantages over v+ if so what?

gmb45
29th May, 2011, 09:16 AM
ditto, they offered me 500gb hdd tivo ?49 + ?40 installation + ?3 month service charge, the 1tb box ?149 and the same as above, the tivo has lan connection to access a certain amount of stuff from the net, ( it is a hd box as well ) this is about as much as i know about it atm, dk member cgscott has one of these boxes i think, it might be worth pming him and asking him to post in here about its capabilities, i would like to know more about it before i decide give vm more money.

thered
30th May, 2011, 10:40 AM
from what i can see basically its the same as the V+ with a bigger harddrive and an option to browse the web

i have internet i have V+ HD already

another thing to make you think you need it but you dont

http://tivo.virginmedia.com/

but i am old and miserable i have a ?10 mobile phone that phones and texts and that is it

what else do i need a mobile for ?

an app that lets me scan prices in shops

what wrong with ~~~~in asking

the world is full of pretentious fools who are kidded into thinking they must have everything they dont need

Kalipo
30th May, 2011, 10:56 AM
From what i see.. and have looked into..

It will have its own dedicated 10MB connection for browsing sites like Youtube etc etc. (these come as APPS). There will also be a feature to backtrack the tv so you could technicaly watch something from yesterday withing pressing the red button lol..

There is much more but i wont list them all..

But i will mention the feature which lets you record from your mobile when your out and about.. :)

Finally caught sky up :P

gmb45
30th May, 2011, 11:02 AM
From what i see.. and have looked into..

It will have its own dedicated 10MB connection for browsing sites like Youtube etc etc. (these come as APPS). There will also be a feature to backtrack the tv so you could technicaly watch something from yesterday withing pressing the red button lol..

There is much more but i wont list them all..

But i will mention the feature which lets you record from your mobile when your out and about.. :)

Finally caught sky up :P

why not list them, i and many others would be interested to find out as much as possible about this box :)

oneman
30th May, 2011, 02:07 PM
Main differences are completely redesigned interface that is supposed to be quick and speedy, especially about the catchup and on demand services. TiVO is widely regarded as the best UI out there.

Personalised suggestions which learns the type of programs you enjoy

Wish list, so enter the name of a show and if its ever on it will record it, you don't need to know channels, dates, times

Remote setup of recording via internet (finally, sky has had this for a while) or mobile phone app

playback of recordings to other devices in the house, not sure of specifications as this is coming later this year

features is own 10mb link thus not effecting your regular broadband (not sure what this offers)

'Open' platform to allow 3rd party companies to write their own apps.

There is a bunch of other stuff as well that you can check on the VM forms and website. Some of the features are not working yet.

Personally I am going to hold off for now, I am expecting better pricing in the run up to xmas.

oneman
30th May, 2011, 02:29 PM
why not list them, i and many others would be interested to find out as much as possible about this box :)

There is a good initial review here complete with screen shots,

Virgin Media Powered By TiVo TV recorder & set top box review - Trusted Reviews (http://www.trustedreviews.com/Virgin-Media-Powered-By-TiVo_TV-recorder---set-top-box_review)

There are a couple of items it missed like remote recording activation and playback on remote devices both of which I look forward too. I believe there is a wireless keyboard / remote that is in the works as well.

what would be cool is if could play back content from USB devices and better still stream from network.

Kalipo
30th May, 2011, 07:09 PM
I phoned vm after i posted this morning..

The women said ive got too many boxes and that i can't have anymore.. so...

I phoned the staff account number which i should of done initialy anyway..

She said i couldnt have the 5th box because the signal would be too much.. i proceeded to tell her that all the house is pre wired with all the rooms having their own cables.. and the lounge having 2.. There is also an amp in the electricity cupboard. which whacks out the required signals.. i told her all the outlets where connected and all signals where -5 which is the perfect signal level for 50mb broadband and all other services..

She said ok you can have it but you will have to fill out the application through the staff boiler room..

I'm ex member of staff and dont have access.. so,... i cant have the new box.