PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Astra CDTi tuning

Canker_Canison
30th May, 2011, 08:55 PM
I don't visit the garage very often & my knowledge is limited to general mechanics on vehicles I have owned. But I'm looking at changing my car & need some info on re-mapping & using tuning boxes.

I'm looking at the Astra estate 1.7 CDTi, I'll be trying to get the 100bhp model, but have to accept it may end up being the 80bhp model due to time & money limitations.

I'm aware there are tuning boxes that plug into the common rail sensor that adjust the readings sent back to the ECU. Generally giving a 20% boost to the BHP.

But what sort of increase would I see from a re-map?

Would I be able to use both re-map & tuning box if the mapping on the box is changed to match the new re-mapping output?

What sort of output could I expect to see from the 80bhp model once re-mapped & will it cause any problems when the MOT is due? i.e. CO2 levels.

Canker

bazare
30th May, 2011, 09:28 PM
forget about tuning box. it's the work of the Devil himself. If you want a happy engine go for a good chiptuning. the 80hp z17dtl engine can be remaped safe to 105-107 Hp. The 100hp version engine z17dth can be easily remaped to 130 hp and if you want more than this the safe limit for clutch and turbo is about 138Hp. All info refer to stock setup.

rappttor
30th May, 2011, 10:25 PM
dont use tunning boxes, basically just alter the readings of the sensors just to trik ecu to inject more..but you cannot calibrate with just a few resistor to optain an specific AFR.
easily said your engine will always be dephased too much fuel/low air-low air/to much fuel, and the area optimised will be just for short period of time. the driving experience can be good, but the engine will not have the same feeling !

the easy way as bazare said, is just to resoft it, and i think you can find some guys here to do it wright for you...the car will run just fine after without damaging it.

Canker_Canison
30th May, 2011, 10:33 PM
Does the same hold true for the 1.7 DTi engine?

75bhp is just way to low for me, so what would a remap do to the output?

Just not really happy with the injector system, never had diesel before & understand common rail injection. Better the devil you know.

I've also been looking at the Ford Focus estate 1.8 TDCi.

rappttor
30th May, 2011, 10:44 PM
dti is out of disscusion...
between an opel cdti and a ford tdci, i will always go with ford, although i drive vw...but thats just me :)

ipejasinovic
30th May, 2011, 11:01 PM
I've also been looking at the Ford Focus estate 1.8 TDCi.
Buy a Ford and you buy the best. Drive the first mile and walk the rest.

bazare
31st May, 2011, 11:35 AM
c'mon guys :) I drive an astra G y17dt remaped from 75 to 105 hp. Is not that BAD! Average fuel consumption is incredible low. After remap at 80km/h in 5th gear I have consumption = 3.4l / 100km. For me a full fuel tank = 1100km. Indeed stock car with 75hp is annoying to drive but after remap is pretty OK!

Canker_Canison
31st May, 2011, 01:44 PM
What would the cost of a remap be on the 1.7 DTi?

That's with a reliable map & someone who knows what they are doing, not your M-H-M wanna be lol

I'd prefer to have around 130bhp, but gotta look at other options, like the underpowered pile of junk DTi.

bazare
31st May, 2011, 02:11 PM
It very much depend on the local tuner ... probably between 100 and 300 euro.

rappttor
31st May, 2011, 02:17 PM
just decide what type of car you want, and the rest will be much easier :)

mishu_b
31st May, 2011, 02:23 PM
or if you have a tool (ex. Galletto cheapest one) you can buy a good map and flash your car by your self.

if you do not have a tool you can borough one for couples of hours.

all the best

rappttor
31st May, 2011, 03:01 PM
btw: dont listen to bazare, his a fanatik of opel, he loves his car more than his wife.

subtil
2nd June, 2011, 12:11 AM
forget about tuning box. it's the work of the Devil himself. If you want a happy engine go for a good chiptuning. the 80hp z17dtl engine can be remaped safe to 105-107 Hp. The 100hp version engine z17dth can be easily remaped to 130 hp and if you want more than this the safe limit for clutch and turbo is about 138Hp. All info refer to stock setup.

Dear bazare,

For the 100hp version I have tuned it more then 140hp no problem to clutch or turbo. I like the engine it's not that bad. I don't realy like the engine noise ;) that's all

bazare
2nd June, 2011, 08:31 AM
for me 138 hp is enough.

Canker_Canison
2nd June, 2011, 12:10 PM
A local sales manager we have had mobile phone dealings with has come up trumps for me.

Gotta wait a few weeks for the car to come in part ex. But he's found an Astra 1.7 CDTi (unknown bhp but taking it will be the 80), 2002, tidy car with no rust. 12 months MOT will be put on, unsure on TAX...........

Laughing me nuts off at the price. No worries on funding the remap.

Just need to find someone to do it.