PDA

View Full Version : loft install

amcfad
17th December, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hi all, are there any downsides to setting up a dish inside a loft space ? if not anyone got any ideas for a good set up.

Cheers andy

p.s i stay in glasgow does being so north make a difference ?

krazylegz
17th December, 2008, 10:36 PM
not possible to install in a loft m8 as satellite needs clear view of the sky

opsmonkey
17th December, 2008, 10:45 PM
the only inside install you can have mate is a dish in front of a window..

a satellite dish will work through glass but its efficiency depends on the type of glass and the dish size. eg.. for Sky Digital you'll probably need at least a 60cm dish to compensate for the signal loss in the glass as opposed to a 43cm one outside..

being so far north will impact a bit but you'll still get a lot of good sats..

.: JaCkPoT :.
18th December, 2008, 12:24 AM
You could install it on a pole and stick it out of the loft window if it has one..;)

opsmonkey
18th December, 2008, 12:35 AM
You could install it on a pole and stick it out of the loft window if it has one..;)

how rich are your parents..? not everyone has a loft conversion young man ;)

anyways loft windows only open to a max of 45degs.. you couldnt get a dish out of that lol

18th December, 2008, 12:57 AM
Our loft was converted before we moved here lol.. Just snap the hinges.. That should do the trick.. lol

amcfad
18th December, 2008, 08:21 AM
thanks guys, the loft in question is shared with neighbours, just trying to get my own dish setup as i am unable to attatch dish to outside of communual building ! bah humbug ! need to get another cunnning plan, any ideas ? :banghead:

benny/9
18th December, 2008, 11:45 AM
thanks guys, the loft in question is shared with neighbours, just trying to get my own dish setup as i am unable to attatch dish to outside of communual building ! bah humbug ! need to get another cunnning plan, any ideas ? :banghead:
is it part of your agreement or is it a listed building etc:that stops you from fitting a dish to the outside wall? my brother lives in a block of flats and he fitted a dish to the wall outside one of his windows he is three floors up, or if your building has a flat roof can you not get a dish fitted on the roof

Neil
19th December, 2008, 10:52 AM
You can install a pole that goes through a 'false' slate on the roof. This keeps the roof weather proof but allows the pole to be fastened inside the roof space.

19th December, 2008, 10:03 PM
thats clever..... but wouldn't that mean the pole would be very wobbly???

opsmonkey
21st December, 2008, 12:36 AM
thats clever..... but wouldn't that mean the pole would be very wobbly???

no mate i think it would attach and be on a ground mount in the loft, then go up through the roof..

You can install a pole that goes through a 'false' slate on the roof. This keeps the roof weather proof but allows the pole to be fastened inside the roof space.

can you provide a link to such an example.. ive never heard of this.. or is it a home made jobby

cauliflower69
22nd December, 2008, 02:19 AM
Does anybody know about the things that you can use to install an aerial to a roof not the chimney.

Thanks for any help.

22nd December, 2008, 03:13 AM
Never come across anything like that before.. Either way i doubt it would be strong enough to hold a motor and a wind affected dish either....

alunfennell
22nd December, 2008, 03:19 AM

I had a setup like that, but with high winds it rattled every so lightly because the support beams are holding the pool at the base it moves & also been on the roof there is no shelter from Wind, Snow , Rain, I ended up moving it off the roof and putting it onto a Sheltered wall on the side of the house and the reception has been improved especially in inclement Weather, my advice keep it off the roof if you can.

Regards:
Alun

Walkinmyshadow
22nd December, 2008, 04:51 PM
no mate i think it would attach and be on a ground mount in the loft, then go up through the roof..

can you provide a link to such an example.. ive never heard of this.. or is it a home made jobby

As a Carpenter can i say if you get the pole done properly you should have no worries about "wobbling", What you basically need is a pole to go from the floor of the attic room and to protrude out of the roof at least a metre, the pole itself would need to be about 40mm in diameter and fixed at the very bottom, middle and as near to the top of the pole as possible inside the roof, This "false slate" as you call it is known as a macflash, its basically a sheet of thin metal about 40 cm square with a rubber sleeve in the middle that allows the pole to protrude through it, Most builder providers stock these, but make sure the sleeve is suitable for the pole diameter otherwise it will leak, if the shop hasnt got the correct side in stock it can be ordered in

22nd December, 2008, 05:43 PM
I knew you would need to have more than one thing keeping it steady...