PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive via Homeplug?

mareas123
1st June, 2011, 07:53 PM
:stupid:Hi Guys

i don't know if it's possible but one of you will. i have various devices on my home network. a few weekends ago i set up 2 ip cctv cameras and i have these working fine and can access them on the network. The default recording place for the images from the cameras is my external hardrive plugged into one of my pc's. i have homeplugs all over the hous eand what i what to do is plug an external hard drive into a homeplug that is hidden away in the loft and record the cameras onto that so that, in the event that i am burgled they don't take the evidence!

i have a new 2tb western digital drive that plugs in to the mains but only has a micro usb to usb connection on it i.e. there is nowhere to plug a lan rj45 into that would then connect to the home plug.

Can i get a micro usb to ethernet cable and would this work?

I've confused myself now so i hope someone can help!

Cheers

Mareas

oneman
1st June, 2011, 11:04 PM
TP-Link TL-PS310U Single USB2.0 Port MFP Print and Storage Server: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

rlanc
11th June, 2011, 08:17 PM
If you were ever thinking of upgrading your system, can recommend QNAP NAS - they have built in support for IP camera surveillance recording.