1st June, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hi
Need to solder a 3 core flex cable to a male kettle type plug
Whats the correct method to do so
Ie what do you solder first etc
Any help much appreciated

xant14
1st June, 2011, 09:13 PM
go down the tip... ~~~~ing loads about, borrow one from your amp to boil your kettle, then plug it back in the amp for your archers hour

satsmo
1st June, 2011, 09:14 PM
Why are you soldering it? Is it a moulded kettle plug?

If so I would advise you to not solder it and go and buy one, (euro type plug), with screw terminals as per a standard plug.

If you really need to solder it then use a 1.5 flex and follow the standard colour code and then use plenty of insulating tape or use a connector block instead and tape that also. But I would do above as said before either of these.

I think I may be getting you wrong though or am I?

cablefreejunkie
1st June, 2011, 09:16 PM
go down the tip... ~~~~ing loads about, borrow one from your amp to boil your kettle, then plug it back in the amp for your archers hour

Xanti i dont need a kettle lead :stupid:

cablefreejunkie
1st June, 2011, 09:26 PM
Why are you soldering it? Is it a moulded kettle plug?

If so I would advise you to not solder it and go and buy one, (euro type plug), with screw terminals as per a standard plug.

If you really need to solder it then use a 1.5 flex and follow the standard colour code and then use plenty of insulating tape or use a connector block instead and tape that also. But I would do above as said before either of these.

I think I may be getting you wrong though or am I?
What i have is a non moulded male 3 flat pin plug looks like kettle lead its off a camera crane
Im working on afilm set
The plug needs to be soldered onto a three core flex
Basically 3copper wires onto three metal pins
Hope that makes sense

satsmo
1st June, 2011, 09:33 PM
Kinda but a pic would help if possible?

Otherwise at a guess earth is the centre pin, live will be bottom left and neutral will be bottom right. This is with the pins facing you.

If you get it wrong you will trip the RCD that's if that is wired correctly :)

cablefreejunkie
1st June, 2011, 11:02 PM
Kinda but a pic would help if possible?

Otherwise at a guess earth is the centre pin, live will be bottom left and neutral will be bottom right. This is with the pins facing you.

If you get it wrong you will trip the RCD that's if that is wired correctly :)

Looks like im confusing peeps
Im fine with polarity etc just not great at soldering
Do i put solder on copper and metal put two together then hold iron on top ? Its the method i want to know

satsmo
1st June, 2011, 11:12 PM
Yes that's the basics of it. Put a small bit of solder, (tinning), on copper and a small bit on the metal and hold together with the iron tip, that's it.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm

racin-snake
1st June, 2011, 11:14 PM
try to tin both parts with lots of flux favouring the end that needs most heat the put then together add some more solder and hold it till it sets
biggest problem will be heat control
but basically tin both and apply more solder and decent flux is vital

cablefreejunkie
1st June, 2011, 11:17 PM
Yes that's the basics of it. Put a small bit of solder, (tinning), on copper and a small bit on the metal and hold together with the iron tip, that's it.

Soldering Guide (http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/solder.htm)

I knew we would get there in the end
One last q
Do you let the solder go off on both copper and metal b4 holding together and re melting the solder together ? Or should it be soldered together immediately ?

satsmo
1st June, 2011, 11:19 PM
Let it set but that will only take a second or two either way. Ideally as racin said the flux remaining on the tip from the tinning process will help when making the final joint.

racin-snake
1st June, 2011, 11:22 PM
yea let the tinning set then its just the solder you need to melt
to to add more to stick the two parts
(i think thats what your asking )

as satsmo's said takes two sec's then hold till it sets as heat might take a while to dissipate

chroma
2nd June, 2011, 01:51 AM
I thought they where just crimps to be honest Cable.

You sure the pins don't come out of the housing and just get crimped with a set of pliers? then slide the lot back into the housing?

cablefreejunkie
2nd June, 2011, 03:20 AM
I thought they where just crimps to be honest Cable.

You sure the pins don't come out of the housing and just get crimped with a set of pliers? then slide the lot back into the housing?
TBH the plug they gave which was a new one from maplins i think, the ends of the pins in the housing all had a little round hole in them so maybe yes they should be crimped and then a very small nut and bolt to fix the crimp to the pins
Deffo not a boot lace crimp and you have to take the top houseing off to remove the pins

chroma
2nd June, 2011, 03:35 AM
They dont like making things simple and straightforward any more do they?
I'm sure they hire two teams of designers nowadays, one to cook up problems to solutions and another to cook up solutions to problems, then pit them against each other...

matrixabc
9th June, 2011, 07:00 PM
if the parts you are soldering to are thin then it souldent be a problem, as said above solder the wire ends then apply solder to the metal, then heat the metal again until the solder melts then dab some more solder and then quickly push the soldered wire end to the metal and hold till the solder on both becomes fluid and froms one rounded mass be careful that the pin you are soldering to doesent get to hot and melt the plastic housing.

when applying solder the the wire end try to get as much on as quikly as possible and dont hold the heat on any longer then nessesary, just until you see it is asorbed by the wire. best way is to heat up the wire first then aply the solder when the wire is hot.