PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ET and Com adapter 3

Khein
2nd June, 2011, 03:54 PM
I really need help with this.
I need to connect to a machine tomorrow and my com adapter 3 is not working. I have bought a few weeks ago but this is the first time im using it.
ET 2011 is installed ok because I tried an old comunication adapter 1 and I can connect to the ECM, but when I connect the new comunicatino adapter 3 I cant make it read the ECM.
This is what I did. I installed the com adapter 3 drivers that come with the adapter in a cd. It didnt work so I installed the new drivers I get from here, but it continue not working.
Here are some pictures that I taked.
The problem is that the notebook dont recognize that the com adapter 3 is connected. See picture 3 where even com adapter 3 firmware tool dont find the adapter connected.

Please I need some cllue where to find the problema or wich configuration im missing. I need to have this working for tomorrow.

Thank you a lot.

CbIHTON
2nd June, 2011, 11:15 PM
mate did you tried at cat machine ?
because its not work without machine

Khein
2nd June, 2011, 11:31 PM
mate did you tried at cat machine ?
because its not work without machine

Yes I have and the problem is the same

CbIHTON
2nd June, 2011, 11:41 PM
which brand notebook are you using IBM (lenovo)

CbIHTON
2nd June, 2011, 11:42 PM
142 Error
Please perform the following steps:
1. Confirm that the communications adapter is connected to a power source (e.g. ECM). Verify that the vehicle key is turned on and that the communications adapter is powered.
NOTE: If the communications adapter is connected, but is not receiving power, then the communications adapter is faulty.
2. Confirm that changes register on the Communications Adapter's status lights when attempting communication.
3. Verify that all cables are securely plugged into the computer, the communications adapter, and service connector.
4. Verify that all Preferences are correctly set. If changes are made, connect again.
5. If using the black Communications Adapter II (CA2), then verify that the Caterpillar Communication Adapter II Toolkit is installed on the PC.
6. Confirm that the Com Port that is associated with the Communications Adapter is working. Reset the Com Port if necessary.
7. If Palm Pilot software is installed and active, disable that software.
8. If an infrared port in active, disable that port.
9. If there is a modem, or another device, on the same Com Port, or a counter Com Port (i.e. 1 & 3, 2&4) then disable that device or move it to another port.
10. Verify that the Com Port is set up correctly in the Device Manager in the Control Panel as well as in the PC's BIOS.
NOTE: Standard Com / LPT port settings are as follows:
Com 1 = 03F8 IRQ 4
Com 2 = 02F8 IRQ 3
Com 3 = 03E8 IRQ 4
Com 4 = 02E8 IRQ 3
LPT 1 = 378H IRQ 7
LPT 2 = 278H IRQ 5
WORKAROUND: Use the printer port.
If the printer port does not work, please perform the following steps:
1. Access the BIOS
2. Note the current parallel port setting.
3. Change the setting to bidirectional/ECP/EPP until a setting is found that resolves the issue.
NOTE: If using an IBM Thinkpad laptop, access Thinkpad Configuration in the Control Panel to change parallel port settings. Try EPP setting first.

mozzie
3rd June, 2011, 03:00 AM
I need to connect to a machine tomorrow and my com adapter 3 is not working. I have bought a few weeks ago but this is the first time im using it.
ET 2011 is installed ok because I tried an old comunication adapter 1 and I can connect to the ECM, but when I connect the new comunicatino adapter 3 I cant make it read the ECM.
This is what I did. I installed the com adapter 3 drivers that come with the adapter in a cd. It didnt work so I installed the new drivers I get from here, but it continue not working.
The problem is that the notebook dont recognize that the com adapter 3 is connected. See picture 3 where even com adapter 3 firmware tool dont find the adapter connected.

Please I need some cllue where to find the problema or wich configuration im missing. I need to have this working for tomorrow.

Thank you a lot.

Find best way is to run the version comms III software
install (from here) and straight after its finished installing
insert the usb cable from the adaptor .Run the comms III
toolkit from windows start menu and it should pick it up.

First time you connect to an ecm with it ,sometimes needs
a trigger ,download from Dearborn ,there adaptor validation
tool v1.9 and use that to see if communicating.
Once it works with the validation tool is ok after that.

Also has been two changes to usb to adaptor cables.
If you are using the original cable -- you may never
connect!

Khein
3rd June, 2011, 01:20 PM
Find best way is to run the version comms III software
install (from here) and straight after its finished installing
insert the usb cable from the adaptor .Run the comms III
toolkit from windows start menu and it should pick it up.

First time you connect to an ecm with it ,sometimes needs
a trigger ,download from Dearborn ,there adaptor validation
tool v1.9 and use that to see if communicating.
Once it works with the validation tool is ok after that.

Also has been two changes to usb to adaptor cables.
If you are using the original cable -- you may never
connect!

What do you mean in the last parraf? Im using the originals cables that came with the adapter. The kit I bought is 3177484. Im using 3177485 adapter with 3177487 usb cable (pc-adapter) and 3278981 9 pim cable (adapter-machine).
Is this right or I need to change something?

Khein
3rd June, 2011, 05:18 PM
I find a solution (at least partially).
I install drivers in other notebook and connect the comm adapter and it recognize it in the toolkit.
Why cant I connect using the other notebook, a IBM thinkpad?

CbIHTON
3rd June, 2011, 09:33 PM
I find a solution (at least partially).
I install drivers in other notebook and connect the comm adapter and it recognize it in the toolkit.
Why cant I connect using the other notebook, a IBM thinkpad?
why you dont read what i m wrote !
please go BIOS and change settting tp EPP pr sumthink like that please read what i wrote

Khein
4th June, 2011, 06:36 AM
why you dont read what i m wrote !
please go BIOS and change settting tp EPP pr sumthink like that please read what i wrote

Sory but its difficult to understand all this in english (I speak Spanish) and I really didnt understand you.
Can you tell me more detail how to do that please?

alcoholahmed
4th June, 2011, 09:47 AM

Thank you a lot.

I had the same problem few months ago and I just installed the microsoft office 2007 and everything goes smoothly...

mozzie
4th June, 2011, 09:48 AM
What do you mean in the last parraf? Im using the originals cables that came with the adapter. The kit I bought is 3177484. Im using 3177485 adapter with 3177487 usb cable (pc-adapter) and 3278981 9 pim cable (adapter-machine).
Is this right or I need to change something?

The problem with first cables is something
to do with shield wiring.Some people peel
back outer layer and cut the shield.

New cables are only approx $25 US so if want
to get on with just get a new cable.

Been two cable changes since then.

353-5083 CA3-USB PC <== first fix but still have
problems with spark ignition
engines.

370-4617 CA3-USB PC <== ships with latest

CbIHTON
4th June, 2011, 11:40 PM
restart your notebook and go to BIOS " del key or F2 or f12"
then change your port settings like image or try different combination
http://www.kabinet.cz/stuff/hw/motherboard_MSI_MS-6786_ver2_Quasar2/Support%20Packard%20Bell%20Quasar%202%20Motherboar d%20BIOS%20Screens%20-%20instr_bios_quasar2%20-%20BIOS%20-%20IMEDIA%201601_B%20-%20PB13202101_soubory/bios_quasar2_peripherals_superio.gif
(http://www.kabinet.cz/stuff/hw/motherboard_MSI_MS-6786_ver2_Quasar2/Support%20Packard%20Bell%20Quasar%202%20Motherboar d%20BIOS%20Screens%20-%20instr_bios_quasar2%20-%20BIOS%20-%20IMEDIA%201601_B%20-%20PB13202101_soubory/bios_quasar2_peripherals_superio.gif)

Khein
6th June, 2011, 03:07 AM
http://www.kabinet.cz/stuff/hw/motherboard_MSI_MS-6786_ver2_Quasar2/Support%20Packard%20Bell%20Quasar%202%20Motherboar d%20BIOS%20Screens%20-%20instr_bios_quasar2%20-%20BIOS%20-%20IMEDIA%201601_B%20-%20PB13202101_soubory/bios_quasar2_peripherals_superio.gif
(http://www.kabinet.cz/stuff/hw/motherboard_MSI_MS-6786_ver2_Quasar2/Support%20Packard%20Bell%20Quasar%202%20Motherboar d%20BIOS%20Screens%20-%20instr_bios_quasar2%20-%20BIOS%20-%20IMEDIA%201601_B%20-%20PB13202101_soubory/bios_quasar2_peripherals_superio.gif)

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow.

stewars
6th June, 2011, 06:17 AM

Thank you a lot.

El cable de comunicacion esta mal cambialo por el siguiente 370-4617

Suerte

Khein
9th June, 2011, 01:03 PM

I have try out ALL different combinations (they are like 30) and the comm adapter 3 didnt work in any of them.
Any other idea of wich configuration can I change or try?

Khein
15th June, 2011, 09:54 PM
any clue with this?