PDA

View Full Version : Bench cables for Cat Cummins and Detroit

muz79
3rd June, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hi all,

I've been soaking in all the great info everyone has to offer on the American engine manufacturers. I've learnt a HEAP!

By far the best forum to share/learn.

I would like to aquire bench programming cables to suit Caterpillar 70 pin ecm's, cummins select/select plus, cummins isx CM570 and CM871 and Detroit DDEC III and IV to suit my fleet. I have the skills to make them but time is the issue as I spend most of it on the road!

Can I purchase these anywhere? Or would someone be prepared to make them for me?

Thanks and keep up the good work :top:

Muz

Emgo
3rd June, 2011, 01:19 AM
Hi all,

I've been soaking in all the great info everyone has to offer on the American engine manufacturers. I've learnt a HEAP!

By far the best forum to share/learn.

I would like to aquire bench programming cables to suit Caterpillar 70 pin ecm's, cummins select/select plus, cummins isx CM570 and CM871 and Detroit DDEC III and IV to suit my fleet. I have the skills to make them but time is the issue as I spend most of it on the road!

Can I purchase these anywhere? Or would someone be prepared to make them for me?

Thanks and keep up the good work :top:

Muz

I'm only working with Detroits at this time. I got my harnesses from a truck salvage yard. That's easiest and quickest way to make a bench interface. DDEC III and IV harnesses and connectors are plentiful. DDEC V is little harder to find. The part numbers for the connectors and pins are in the first few pages of the Application and Install manuals for each DDEC level. If you can't find the harnesses at a salvage yard I can post the part numbers in this thread, just let me know.

I would guess the same would apply to the other manufacturers. Hopefully some other DK members will let you know about the other engines.

Emgo

TheMecanico
3rd June, 2011, 06:05 PM
Is the same?

Emgo
3rd June, 2011, 11:09 PM
Muz,

I forgot to say that you will need the Diagnostic connector out of the cab in order to connect to your USB link or what ever translator box you are using. I would use the 9 pin if it's available to you because it has J1708 and J1939 capabilities.

TheMecanico, I don't understand your question or comment "Is the same?"

Emgo

superc0
4th June, 2011, 05:59 AM
hi friends i find this , who have the schematics for this type of bench cables?
who can help us?

superc0
4th June, 2011, 06:05 AM
here go more.
the prices of this from 275 to 900 dlls, to expensive for me.

Khein
6th June, 2011, 03:13 AM
here go more.
the prices of this from 275 to 900 dlls, to expensive for me.

Yeah, that is too expensive.
I have been looking for something like that but they are allways this expensive. I was thinking on making one on my own but the idea of taking one out from an old truck is really great, thanks for that!

S-GERAT
6th June, 2011, 08:49 AM
Is a good idea take out the one of an old truck. Anyway you need the connectors of the ecm and I don't know if it can be obtanied standalone for make a bench cable for yourself.

With having the ecm connectors the rest is very easy, I made one for Cat and I only must search in the wiring diagram the pins that supply power to the ecm and the ones that make the communication with it.

I make a wiring diagram for my Cat bench cable but I can't find it at the moment. If I find it I post it here.

Regards

Emgo
6th June, 2011, 03:02 PM
The DDEC IV view is from the front of the connector. The DDEC V view is from the rear of the connector.

Power harness

Connect C and A to battery plus +
Connect E and D to battery minus -

Vehicle ECM connector

Ignition wire "cavity B3" to battery +

It's best to install a fuse in the power wire and some type of switch in the ignition circuit because DCT or DDRS will only read the ECM program while it's in boot mode which is only about 30 seconds after the ignition is connected to battery + . If you have a switch it's easy to cut the switch off and then back on to get back to boot mode.

Diagnostic wires "cavity C1 is minus -" "cavity C2 is positive +"

The diagnostic wires will connect to the diagnostic connector. I used a 9 pin connector from a wrecked truck. I have included pinouts of the 6 and 9 connectors. Either one will work. Use the J1708 or 1587 pins. That is the way Detroits communicate. If you are using a Nexiq UBS link you will also need to supply plus and minus 12 volts to the diagnostic connector to power the translator box. I don't know abut other translator boxes.

Good luck, if you have other questions I will try to help.

Emgo

Emgo
6th June, 2011, 03:08 PM
This is for DDEC V. They about the same except the pin numbers and locations are different.

The DDEC IV view is from the front of the connector. The DDEC V view is from the rear of the connector.

Power connections

Connect V61, V62, V65 and V66 to battery plus +
Connect V63, V64, V67 and V68 to battery minus -

Ignition wire "V15" to battery +

It's best to install a fuse in the power wire and some type of switch in the ignition circuit because DCT or DDRS will only read the ECM program while it's in boot mode which is only about 30 seconds after the ignition is connected to battery + . If you have a switch it's easy to cut the switch off and then back on to get back to boot mode.

Diagnostic wires "V57 is minus -" "V56 is positive +"

The diagnostic wires will connect to the diagnostic connector. I used a 9 pin connector from a wrecked truck. I have included pinouts of the 6 and 9 connectors. Either one will work. Use the J1708 or J1587 pins. J1708 and J1587 is the same. That is the way Detroits communicate. If you are using a Nexiq UBS link you will also need to supply plus and minus 12 volts to the diagnostic connector to power the translator box. I don't know abut other translator boxes.

Emgo

Emgo
6th June, 2011, 09:03 PM
Here is the link back to the DDEC VI and X Application And Install Manuals. I have not made cables for these yet but you should be able use the information in these manuals and the method I used for IV and V to make interface cables for DDEC VI and X.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f166/detroit-diesel-workshop-manuals-84848/index6.html#post1040338

Emgo

je69
15th July, 2011, 04:39 AM
thanks bois its a usefull thread

je69
16th July, 2011, 02:55 PM
:driver:hello DK friends, it just advice get a small batery charger and mounted to the bench and get small motorcicle 12v batery that way you have no problems interuption of power its wath I do if its usefull it thanks bootom

parin
25th April, 2013, 05:27 PM
Upper is my old setup that I made from this link for cummins isx cm870-871 TUCRRC (http://tucrrc.utulsa.edu/CumminsWithoutWiring.html)
Lower my New cummins setup came out 700$ with power supply not to bad.
Does any one know who sells bench cable for DDEC 5 and 3-4 please let me know I would like to have nice clean new one instead of making one my self.

Z71
26th April, 2013, 01:58 AM
the best solution, I buy one and operates at 100% and I did everything I want, change the cat detroit cummins eliminates the egr valve and ect ect. 2012Newest Version NEXIQ 125032 USB Link + Software Diesel Truck Diagnose Interface and Software With Seven Cables Free Shipping-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012Newest-Version-NEXIQ-125032-USB-Link-Software-Diesel-Truck-Diagnose-Interface-and-Software-With-Seven-Cables/552153517.html)

parin
26th April, 2013, 02:58 PM
Nexiq is ok for diagnostics but not for programing they still don't have solutions for there hardware for programing connection,

parin
26th April, 2013, 04:03 PM
hi friends i find this , who have the schematics for this type of bench cables?
who can help us?

Where can I find them to buy ?

Z71
26th April, 2013, 10:22 PM
I diagnostics program and regularly with Nexiq and everything okay, even made ***8203;***8203;a Cat last night, and again on a Saturday night in Detroit and is regularly to eliminate the egr and not without any problem

superc0
30th April, 2013, 12:00 AM
you can buy it here:

MAWK INDUSTRIES: CAT (http://mawkindustries.com/cat.htm)

hoochyates
28th May, 2013, 09:33 AM
Does anyone have the diagram for cat ecms or a diagram for a DDEC II that allows BOOT Code access?

Emgo
29th May, 2013, 03:15 AM
Does anyone have the diagram for cat ecms or a diagram for a DDEC II that allows BOOT Code access?

I think Juanincho knows how to put the DDEC II ECMs in boot mode. PM him, maybe he can help.

Emgo