PDA

View Full Version : Acer diseases

jcgrumbles
3rd June, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hello everybody, can anybody help me with this disease I've just found on my acer? I think it's Canker, but I want to find out for definate before I buy any chemicals - thank you

chroma
3rd June, 2011, 06:49 PM
Looks like it JC, im not an expert though and don't know which strain, so i cant tell you if you'll need a fungicide or a bactericide to eradicate the blight :/

As far as im led to believe some are caused by fungus and some are caused by bacteria, and need different gunk to get them shifted. Some cant even be treated and need the tree to be chopped to prevent spreading to other plants :(

Like i said though im no expert!

jcgrumbles
3rd June, 2011, 11:09 PM
Cheers chroma, I will take a copy of picture to nearest garden centre and ask them what they think, I will let you know what they say, regards Grumbles

Itsme
4th June, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hello everybody, can anybody help me with this disease I've just found on my acer? I think it's Canker, but I want to find out for definate before I buy any chemicals - thank you

Not a disease but an insect pest called Scale insects.
Can be controlled organically or chemically.

See here:

Garden pests - how to get rid of scale insects on plants | Problem solving | How to | BBC Gardeners' World (http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/garden-pests-scale-insect/)

I have just sorted this on my own pot grown acers, with a product called "Bug Gun" (contains imidacloprid)

jcgrumbles
4th June, 2011, 09:53 AM
cheers itsme,that article was interesting,those sneeky bloody ants,taking the insects underground and hiding them to bring up later on,no wonder theres always loads of them in that corner of the garden,im off to the garden centre for some ammunition...

Itsme
4th June, 2011, 11:51 PM
Happy to be of assistance.