PDA

View Full Version : First question lol htc desire hd

mickydibble
3rd June, 2011, 11:04 PM
Hi guy gals everyone welcome to the new android section :)

My question I have been burning to ask is:
Can I root my htc desire hd , and is it worth it ?
Interested if it is similar to iPhones and jailbreaks etc.... Meaning if I hack my htc am I still Ok on contract etc. Etc. Thnx Micky.

Or should I start , any info please thnx micky

Thnx devilfish ;)

mast
4th June, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hi

Good question this, I was gonna ask the same question when I receive my desire hd on Monday.

From reading elsewhere though I think you can and rooting it is worth it but dont take me literally as I dont know that much about it.

Dont know where you would stand contract wise though.

SouthernComfort
4th June, 2011, 03:32 PM
Read Carefully

How To Permanently Root HTC Desire HD [Complete Guide] (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-permanently-root-htc-desire-hd-complete-guide/)

mickydibble
4th June, 2011, 05:35 PM
Read Carefully

How To Permanently Root HTC Desire HD [Complete Guide] (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-permanently-root-htc-desire-hd-complete-guide/)

anything i should know about if on contract cheers micky

SouthernComfort
4th June, 2011, 07:20 PM
anything i should know about if on contract cheers micky

Rooting will, in almost all cases, invalidate your warranty, manufacturers and resellers frown upon it, it has the serious potential to render your phone a non-functional "brick" which should be considered.
There are temporary root options available to test.
My personal opinion is that the benefits far outweigh the cons but it's your phone.

MrFug
4th June, 2011, 09:01 PM
It's worth noting that Android phones DO NOT need to be rooted to run cracked apps.

mickydibble
4th June, 2011, 10:28 PM
It's worth noting that Android phones DO NOT need to be rooted to run cracked apps.

Exactly the answer I was looking for lol

Explain more please ;)

happy_highlander
5th June, 2011, 10:09 AM
I am in the same situation. To root our not to root. One of the biggest advantages that I can see is the ability to remove bloat ware from the stock rom and in turn increase the battery life and give me control over what I want to run in the background on my galaxy s and not samsung cause they don't half put some junk on there. This of course is just a starter before learning more and installing a custom rom that will show what the phobe can really do

SouthernComfort
5th June, 2011, 04:43 PM
The biggest benefit to rooting your phone is the ability to run custom roms. Stock roms are usually filled with junk from the manufacturer/reseller and are designed for a mass market. In turn this means delays in the latest updates/ features and a detrimental impact on the phones true capabilities.
Many 16 year old kids know more about the Android OS than the people selling it, as it's mainly open source this isn't a problem as they are free to experiment. There are also tons of highly experienced Developers working on Android's development.

Rooting basically gives you full control over your phone/tablet.

For applications, copy .apk to your phone, allow unknown sources, install.

mickydibble
5th June, 2011, 06:07 PM
The biggest benefit to rooting your phone is the ability to run custom roms. Stock roms are usually filled with junk from the manufacturer/reseller and are designed for a mass market. In turn this means delays in the latest updates/ features and a detrimental impact on the phones true capabilities.
Many 16 year old kids know more about the Android OS than the people selling it, as it's mainly open source this isn't a problem as they are free to experiment. There are also tons of highly experienced Developers working on Android's development.

Rooting basically gives you full control over your phone/tablet.

is that it "For applications, copy .apk to your phone, allow unknown sources, install." where to get .apk from? and is that for desire hd, surely i have to check version/build/software etc

SouthernComfort
5th June, 2011, 08:07 PM
is that it "For applications, copy .apk to your phone, allow unknown sources, install." where to get .apk from? and is that for desire hd, surely i have to check version/build/software etc

That's it, unless the application requires root.
You can browse apps online, in the market, torrent sites, nzb's, speciality sites. Most are free, the rest you can buy or check the usual places. Most apps will run on any device unless otherwise stated.

Only roms, kernels, fixes etc are device specific.

MrFug
5th June, 2011, 09:48 PM
There is an Android app similar to Installous on iPhone. You can get it at Applanet (http://www.applanet.net).

mickydibble
5th June, 2011, 10:09 PM
There is an Android app similar to Installous on iPhone. You can get it at Applanet (http://www.applanet.net).

Very interesting mrfug ,very nice...only on my iPhone at mo but it says download on pc. I then presume you put it on mem card and run through phone?any more info as I'm not at pc cheers mate ;)

tshirtman
6th June, 2011, 03:57 AM
applanet is down and has been for past 2 weeks, and no word when/if it will be back up

mickydibble
6th June, 2011, 01:18 PM
applanet is down and has been for past 2 weeks, and no word when/if it will be back up

wondered why i was just getting a blank screen with apps,game etc but no results,holy shiner !!!never mind then haha cheers m8

AbsoluteFire
8th June, 2011, 10:58 PM

Unless you have a stock Motorola Atrix where the unkown sources option is removed. :(

bill4676
15th June, 2011, 11:42 PM
irooted my h*c desire with cm7 download from rom manager
I've not got not the hd version" would think be the same as