PDA

View Full Version : Rooting

SouthernComfort
5th June, 2011, 04:10 PM
Getting root access or "rooting your phone" is the process of modifying the operating system on your device to grant you complete control over it using Super User or SU.
The term root comes from the Linux operating system where root is the most privileged user on the system (Administrator in windows OS).
Rooting does not mean installing custom ROMs, while users are required to root to install custom ROMs, a custom ROM is a modified, usually much improved, android OS. A user may root their phone to unlock it's features while remaining stock otherwise.
Rooting will, in almost all cases, invalidate your warranty, manufacturers and resellers frown upon it, it has the serious potential to render your phone non-functional "brick" which should be considered.
There are various methods to root your phone, many are phone specific so it is best to Google your phone model : Root to see which method best suits you.
Most of the time rooting is a simple process, with most of the hard work done for you, using 1-click Root Apps, many of these apps offer temporary and UnRoot options.

There are many benefits to rooting your phone, the main one being full access to system files. With root privileges users can:

? modify system files
? remove unnecessary files and applications "bloatware"
? install custom ROMs, custom themes, custom boot images
? create system backups
? move apps and cache to external sd
? enable features otherwise disabled including "phone tethering"
? run special applications
? disable/remove unnecessary system processes
? "overclock" cpu using "smart profiles"
? manage system processes, internal memory and startup services.

Rooting does not affect your ability to install applications, though many require it.

Consider rooting a method to unlock your phones full potential, have fun.

Shamonee
29th May, 2012, 09:13 PM
Or in Australia the term "rooting" is something completely different

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

porter1
19th January, 2013, 11:39 AM
how risky is it using a htc one x,it was rooted when i got it but went for repair and lost it,is is a simple process ,cheers

plamen.1973
22nd May, 2013, 10:23 PM
How to root Sony Xperia U ST25? I did it before,but I flashed with new ST25i_6.1.1.B.1.54 GENERIC - user_Sony.tft and now I can't root again .
Please help?Thank you.