PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 11.4 Laptop

rod
9th June, 2011, 08:08 PM
Guys I have installed ubuntu 11.4 inside windows in my laptop and I have got some questions.
1 - I wonder if the pc is slower or does not change anything.
2 - If you ever want to uninstall what should I do?
3 - What is the advantage of having both on the same pc?
4 - Can I see windows files in ubuntu ex. photos, videos ...
5 - Is there a program similar to ccleaner.
6 - Do you have antivirus installed?
7- Is possible to add the battery options like the one on windows, like (power save, maximum performance and balanced)

Thanks

timza
9th June, 2011, 10:31 PM
Guys I have installed ubuntu 11.4 inside windows in my laptop and I have got some questions.
1 - I wonder if the pc is slower or does not change anything.
2 - If you ever want to uninstall what should I do?
3 - What is the advantage of having both on the same pc?
4 - Can I see windows files in ubuntu ex. photos, videos ...
5 - Is there a program similar to ccleaner.
6 - Do you have antivirus installed?
7- Is possible to add the battery options like the one on windows, like (power save, maximum performance and balanced)

Thanks

are you having a dual bootup?

spondulick
10th June, 2011, 12:23 AM
if you installed inside windows you can remove like any prog from add and remove.i have it installed on an old sat a50 laptop and running more stable and certainly quicker than xp,however mine was a clean install onto hard drive.there is an antivirus installed and a firewall,plus a power management option, if ur dual booting u r better off looking for more info.

Egren71
11th June, 2011, 12:25 AM
It's like Spondulick says, it all depends on how you installed it. If you installed it like an application within windows then some of the answers are different to if you installed it as a dual boot system.

1a If installed in windows it it will run slower than windows as it is running both operating systems
1b If installed as dual boot then it will be faster than windows as it is less demanding
2a If installed in windows then uninstall like a windows application
2b If dual booting its more complicated
3 you can try one without ditching the other. Some programs are hard to replicate easily on Ubuntu Itunes being one although there are others.
4 Yes
5 What is ccleaner? A registry cleaner, Ubuntu doesn't have a registry so no need for cleaner and if you want to delete your browser history then Firefox(Ubuntu's default browser) can be set to do that automatically.
6 Again,internet wisdom says there are no Ubuntu viruses (http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/8261-note-to-new-linux-users-no-antivirus-needed) around at the moment so no Antivirus is needed. Of course this may change in the future and there are some Antivirus programs available for Ubuntu. Virus Scanner is the one that is available in Ubuntu's Software Center and if you want one that you might recognize from a windows environment then AVG (http://free.avg.com/us-en/download) do a Linux antivirus program. Even if you don't install an Antivirus program for for your Ubuntu, it is worth installing one if you use you Ubuntu for e-mails as it could catch viruses in emails that you forward to your windows friends.
I am not sure if you need an antivirus program if you run Windows apps in Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) as i never use windows apps in Linux. Wine is also in Ubuntu's Software Center.
7 Yes you can do power management in Ubuntu.

These answers are all from what info i have found when i asked most of the same questions when i switched from Windows. And are all true as far as i know but i may be wrong. The only one think you can't prove is the antivirus one. Absence of virus detection doesn't mean absence of viruses. By the same token just because your antivirus program on windows says your system is clean it doesn't mean that you don't have a virus the the program doesn't know about. So common sense on the web pages you visit is still a good idea. The benefit of Linux is that if a program wants to install it should need the admin password so if you didn't ask something to install and something is asking for your password then be suspicious.
I dual boot because on rare occasions i need Itunes, mainly when i kill my iPod and need itunes to fix it.

Hope this helps and i haven't rambled to much.

Furax
18th June, 2011, 06:09 PM
If you are just playing around you might want to either try the live CD which makes no changes to the HDD or this - Downloads - VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) which will allow you to run ubuntu whist booted in windows.

Windows will not be able to see Ubuntu's file system, Ubuntu will be able to see Window's file system.

If you already have windows setup on the laptop it can be a bit tricky for a newbie to repartition the disk to make room for Ubuntu. Also it can trash the boot loader so windows does not boot (theres no risk of dataloss/damage when this happens.. its just a bit of a pain to fix for a newbie)

mogwhy901
2nd July, 2011, 04:11 PM
i would try installing ubuntu to a small pen drive in ext2 format with no switch file and use the vacant space on the regular drive for storage. (if your a newbie linux user i would try pclinuxos via pendrive, )