PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring

allycoops
10th June, 2011, 01:14 PM
Wife want's laminate flooring, budget doesn't stretch to real wood unfortunately.

Biggish area circa 34metres2

I've seen 7mm stuff,now I was thinking of getting 12mm is this stuff any good, seems a decent price. Good Make etc ??

Krono Original Floordreams Aberdean Oak Laminate Flooring - Krono Original - Laminate (http://www.factory-direct-flooring.co.uk/laminate-flooring/krono/krono-original-floordreams-aberdean-oak-laminate-flooring.html)

It's to go in a lounge area on a concrete floor.
Anybody dealt with this company before?

also anybody know of anywhere I can get decent silver foil backed underlay cheap online

what does this mean,

Please Note: Amounts do not include any wastage.
Please tick the box if you have read and agreed to this:

do I have to order more to compensate for wastage??? sorry Bit thick when it comes to this,lol

cgscott
10th June, 2011, 01:26 PM
12 mm is a good depth for laminate. Also you might want to glue it down onto the floor. Will last a lot longer as if its not glued the movement when you walk on it causes it to buckle over time etc.

Wastage is just your cuttings. Anytime ive layed a floor you stagger them obviously so if you stagger them half plank in theory you wont get a lot of wastage. Thats based on a square room. If the rooms L shaped or has larger shape then you need a little bit more.

If your going to pick the floor up and you over order most places take full packs back anyway so theres no harm in ordering 2 much. I always measure then say 2 packs on top for good measure.

If your ordering on the internet for delivery see what theyre policy is on returns.

Shady
10th June, 2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f25/15-off-b-q-4-days-only-211093/

printoutable voucher for b and q here, if its any good to you ;)

gmb45
10th June, 2011, 01:52 PM
if cg means glue the laminate to the floor be carefull with this regaurding if you have claim on your home insurance for any reason, if its glued to the floor it comes under home insurance if its laid loose you can claim on contents insurance, if cg does mean glueing the laminate to the floor, i wouldnt as it needs room to expand and contract, as for wastage there shouldnt be much unless you ~~~~ a few planks up, if its a square room measure it dead on both ways, then divide this by how much is in a pack to see how many packs you need, if its L-shaped measure it in to parts big square bit and the L bit that comes off then add together and divide as above, when you get it leave it in the room its going down in to climatise to the room temperature for a few days, and dont forget to leave 10mm all way round when laying it for it to expand, or it might buckle up.

teds
10th June, 2011, 02:38 PM
when you lay a laminate floor you should leave a 12mm gap around the edges,you use beading to hide the edges as the laminate expands and shrinks,they only buckle when there is no expantion gap,so no need to glue them down.

allycoops
10th June, 2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks Lads,

I'm gona get a guy to lay it. I can't get the 12mm on that site as they don't have enough in stock.Think its clearance. so it back to either 7mm or 8 mm. I take it both will be OK and suitable for a living room floor (concrete) It's L shape so will measure both parts as suggested and order a couple of packs for wastage.

Prob go to b and q ( thanks shady and OP for voucher )or Storeys or similar.

Maybe this. Any good???

B&Q - BevelLOC Light Oak Effect Plank Laminate Flooring B&Q Online (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/fragments/skuPopup.jsp?fh_secondid=11348271&action=detail&accessMethod=DisplayName&skuId=11858481)

Going to get the silver foil backed underlay and beading also.

Thanks again Guys. Top Notch

gmb45
10th June, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks Lads,

I'm gona get a guy to lay it. I can't get the 12mm on that site as they don't have enough in stock.Think its clearance. so it back to either 7mm or 8 mm. I take it both will be OK and suitable for a living room floor (concrete) It's L shape so will measure both parts as suggested and order a couple of packs for wastage.

Maybe this. Any good???

B&Q - BevelLOC Light Oak Effect Plank Laminate Flooring B&Q Online (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/fragments/skuPopup.jsp?fh_secondid=11348271&action=detail&accessMethod=DisplayName&skuId=11858481)

Thanks again Guys. Top Notch yeh 7-8mm be ok, most of the manufactures give you a 10 year garuntee against normal wear and tear, so it will last a good few years m8. you wont need 2 packs for wastage, i would just get 1.

oneman
10th June, 2011, 03:19 PM
Be careful about wastage. Its unlikely that the flooring is exact width of the room so will need to trim some boards length wise. Depending on the top of interlocking system used you many not to able to use the spare leftovers so budget enough boards for this.

Also don't forgot to budget for underlay.

Personally laid a pergo floor about 8 years ago and it looks as good as new even with with 2 kids trying their best to damage it.

Kalipo
10th June, 2011, 04:48 PM
I purchased my laminate flooring last year.. laminated 3 rooms that we knocked into one to create open plan..

We put half the room down and it started to go tits up.. the boards wouldnt snap in the full length of the board.. (it'd pop out). So we took it up and layed it again.. we didnt get quater of the room done and it went tits up again.. same problem.. scratched my head for a day and worked out 1 board from each pack wasnt square.. we took them back and contacted the manufacturer but they wernt interested that we lost money and man time.

daithi
11th June, 2011, 02:12 PM
i bought krono swiss flooring in 7 mm presume this is same brand
and its fine all floors were leveled beforehand with floor leveler
as for real flooring a friend has it down cost a fortune 59 euro a yard or there abouts and theres some right ~~~~in scratches in it
and he has no kids yet lol
will be wrecked whenever he does

BRASS EAGLE
12th June, 2011, 01:55 AM
DONT GO FOR THE CHEAPEST MATE BELIVE ME i done one for my son and it was out of B&Q it was there economy pack ,It was a C@@T to fit ,get at least the 8mm stuff,,There are diffrent under lays there is one for concrete floors its about 5 to 6mm thick and its like velt,thats the best stuff,all these flooring come with instructions,and you wont be long in learning when you see the price some of these guys take to lay it.LOL no really my wife can even lay it, Shes got it all through the house,looks great but i would prefer some carpet,In the winter it makes the house feel cold,and another thing its a dust and stoor collector,but its really up to the individual

oneman
12th June, 2011, 12:08 PM
another thing its a dust and stoor collector,but its really up to the individual

Everyone says this, just have a think about where the dust would be if you had carpet. It only takes a minute or two to sweep a room with laminate and don't even mention what kids do to carpet.

trent1579
12th June, 2011, 03:43 PM
I am a floor layer,if you need any help pm me,

where is the laminate going to be fitted? you dont need to splash out on 12mm laminate for a domestic property! 12mm laminate is generally used in commercial buildings/public buildings for heavy traffic ,7mm 0r 8mm will be fine.

you should be looking at a AC3 laminate at the most,or anything under AC1 or AC2 depending on the area.
check out the link for a better understanding of AC numbers
AC Ratings Explained (http://www.fastfloors.com/content_11/AC-Ratings-Explained.htm)

jcgrumbles
13th June, 2011, 10:30 PM
done a few floors at home mate,its easy,just take your time and leave as big a gap as your trim will let you cos its surprising how much this stuff moves,if its too tight your floor will "wave" all over the shop,and another thing,if your concrete floors not too clever it might be worth investing in a bag of self leveling screed,when its all level it makes a world of difference

gregk
13th June, 2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks Lads,

Maybe this. Any good???

Thanks again Guys. Top Notch

Hi. I've fitted this floor about two weeks it's not too bad to fit and actually looks good. Out of 25 sq meters there was about 3 or 4 planks that were chiped , they got used for cuts in around chimney.