PDA

View Full Version : Splitting the cable questions - PLease help

notoriouseddie
18th December, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello all,

I've got a starview in the family room but want to split the cable so that we can keep the original V Box up and running in one of the kids bedrooms.

Here's my questions:

1) I have a lot of excess cable left over by the VM guys - can a good length of this cable be cut out to which I can add my own connectors (a sort of DIY cable) or do I have to buy a splitter for the original cabling and by my own extra cables?

2) if the answer to the above is No, I need to buy a new cable, then am I right in saying that its F-type cable that I need

I hope that all made sense. I was tempted to to cut into the cable last night as I've done before with Coax cable but then thought I better not in case you can't just simply pop on a new plug on each end.

Thanks guys.

aftermath
18th December, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hello all,

I've got a starview in the family room but want to split the cable so that we can keep the original V Box up and running in one of the kids bedrooms.

Here's my questions:

1) I have a lot of excess cable left over by the VM guys - can a good length of this cable be cut out to which I can add my own connectors (a sort of DIY cable) or do I have to buy a splitter for the original cabling and by my own extra cables?

2) if the answer to the above is No, I need to buy a new cable, then am I right in saying that its F-type cable that I need

I hope that all made sense. I was tempted to to cut into the cable last night as I've done before with Coax cable but then thought I better not in case you can't just simply pop on a new plug.

Thanks guys.

best leave it m8, in case cable come out in the future they might know you been tampering with their stuff.

I would buy a splitter kit from ebay, email the seller, and tell him length of cables e.t.c, you will get a kit for about ?10 everything you need.

dank76
18th December, 2008, 08:05 PM
they do a cheap splitter kit on flee bayTV EXTENSION KIT.TV Aerial Cable,Splitter,Socket etc on eBay, also, Aerials, TV Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 19-Dec-08 18:30:00 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TV-EXTENSION-KIT-TV-Aerial-Cable-Splitter-Socket-etc_W0QQitemZ270317744334QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Con Elec_TVAerials_RL?hash=item270317744334&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting)

hope this helps

nellyscossy
18th December, 2008, 08:08 PM
you will need a splitter and then two patch cables (a length of cable with an f connector on each end)
cable in on one end and then one outlet each for the boxes

notoriouseddie
18th December, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys - I've noticed that the ebay splitter package is coaxial cable? The input required for the V Box is f cable - can I just use coaxial cable with F connectors or would it be better to buy two separate F cables?

Thanks again

bigballblue
18th December, 2008, 08:21 PM
the excess cable they left u mate will do the job fine

dank76
18th December, 2008, 08:31 PM
f connecters are only a couple of pence