PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S 2

McMav
15th June, 2011, 02:23 PM
Just got one its lush thats is all :D :D :D Away to learn more about it :)

walloffire
18th June, 2011, 09:11 PM
keep us posted!

McMav
20th June, 2011, 12:58 PM
Well sofar so good. Battery life for my usage is about 2-3 days on a charge :) Thats calls some surfing, photos and ebook reading. Not rooted or custom rom'd it yet. That will happen though in the future.

tshirtman
22nd June, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well sofar so good. Battery life for my usage is about 2-3 days on a charge :) Thats calls some surfing, photos and ebook reading. Not rooted or custom rom'd it yet. That will happen though in the future.

2 - 3 days???? I'm lucky if i get 18 hours from mine, I've been playing with mine for 4 weeks now and no matter how i try different power saving modes I still get less than a day, my data cable goes everywhere with me.

McMav
24th June, 2011, 12:08 PM
you must be a very heavy user.

Bumgarner
5th July, 2011, 07:47 AM
you must be a rich man :D

andy1weir
5th July, 2011, 09:43 PM
i have to admit im not a fan of the samsungs, they feel too cheap ,plasticy, jst my imo , but i also get around 2 days from my x10i

MrFug
6th July, 2011, 11:36 PM
I have to say, I find the battery life on this phone absolutley shocking. I got 57 minutes 'screen on' time from my last full charge. 57 MINUTES!!!!

I've given it so many chances, and tried every firmware revision. I'm currently using VillainROM 1.4 (supposed to be the best for battery life). The battery was calibrated after I installed the ROM.

Needless to say, I'll be replacing this with an iPhone 5 the minute it's released.

happy_highlander
7th July, 2011, 03:23 PM
I have to say, I find the battery life on this phone absolutley shocking. I got 57 minutes 'screen on' time from my last full charge. 57 MINUTES!!!!

I've given it so many chances, and tried every firmware revision. I'm currently using VillainROM 1.4 (supposed to be the best for battery life). The battery was calibrated after I installed the ROM.

Needless to say, I'll be replacing this with an iPhone 5 the minute it's released.

Have you checked the battery usage to find out if it is the android os that is over 30% if it is and you are on a gingerbread based rom then you have the classic gingerbread bug. The usual quick fix is to turn the phone off wait till it vibrates then switch it back on. There are also a few known files that can be frozen to help with this bug these are samsung account and software update there had also been talk of the sns account having a leak but it is not something I have frozen so can't confirm if it will be ok to freeze

tshirtman
8th July, 2011, 12:28 PM
I've ordered this

2X 1800mAh battery+Charger for Samsung Galaxy S 2 i9100 | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2X-1800mAh-battery-Charger-Samsung-Galaxy-S-2-i9100-/300567195413?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesP ouches&hash=item45fb336f15)

Canker_Canison
8th July, 2011, 04:15 PM
Here's a little news that got me a little excited....

We just reported that the Samsung Galaxy S II has been selling at a rate of 1 every 1.5 seconds and the Korean based manufacturer recently celebrated the 3 millionth unit sold (even without a U.S. launch)-a feat that took all of 55 days. So you can imagine what the conversation was like in the Samsung boardroom when someone came up with the idea of making a version of the device that runs on Windows Phone 7 instead of Android.

The Samsung SGH i-937 has been appearing on the Bluetooth SIG which has started speculation that this is the Samsung Galaxy S 2-the hottest smartphone currently known to man-but with Microsoft's mobile OS on board. Because it has the same exact profile as a Mango flavored Windows Phone 7 stack and has appeared on a list of Windows Phone 7 devices playing games from Occasional Gamers, it can be deduced that the SGH i-937 is a Windows Phone 7 powered handset. Add to this the fact that the model number is just 10 above the Samsung Galaxy S II, and you might have enough circumstantial evidence to start a decent rumor.

Maybe the wrong section to dribble & drool over the possibility of Windows 7 running on the S II. But at the moment I'd take windows over android, the speed it goes at on a 1GHz snapdragon is amazing... dual core could be ground breaking.

MmmBoost
21st July, 2011, 07:16 AM
Holy shit......I had no idea the battery life would be quite so short.

That was one of the weakspots of this phone for sure, but I didn't think it could be as bad as my 3 year old iPhone 3G. LOL!

I also don't trust cheap chinese batteries. I tried replacing my batter with a high-output one from ebay and it was worse than my 2-year old battery

rabies
26th July, 2011, 10:10 PM
heres something for you all to try, charge the phone when its switched off, also hold down the bottom big button (when its on), press the task manager button, then the ram, then press clear memory, only use wifi/blutooth when needed and get a black desktop picture. ive had 3 days out of my battery doing this.

happy_highlander
26th July, 2011, 10:20 PM
Here's something else to try......Use your phone all day as the epic piece of kit it is then plug it into the wall at night when your asleep and like me you will get weeks out of your charge

darkgenx
27th July, 2011, 10:21 PM
heres something for you all to try, charge the phone when its switched off, also hold down the bottom big button (when its on), press the task manager button, then the ram, then press clear memory, only use wifi/blutooth when needed and get a black desktop picture. ive had 3 days out of my battery doing this.

3 Days. . Wow, i'll be lucky if i get to pass a day without charging my SGSII..

Canker_Canison
28th July, 2011, 02:00 PM
Turning off the data services & 3G network will also make a difference.

Only do this if you don't need the data services active all the time. i.e. auto retrieval of emails. Or if you're a cock-slave to faceshite.

episkeptis
3rd August, 2011, 01:36 PM

2-3 days? fantastic!

MrFug
3rd August, 2011, 11:19 PM
Android is going to have to pull it's socks up with iOS 5 and windows mobile 7 (7.5?) arriving soon.

tshirtman
6th August, 2011, 08:32 PM
has any one done a system update recently, a workmate told me yesterday he has just updated his SSG2, (on vodafone) and it has caused a lot of problems,
his voice command doesn't work anymore,
I did ask if he had seen any improvement in battery life since the update but he said there was no difference.

happy_highlander
6th August, 2011, 09:43 PM
has any one done a system update recently, a workmate told me yesterday he has just updated his SSG2, (on vodafone) and it has caused a lot of problems,
his voice command doesn't work anymore,
I did ask if he had seen any improvement in battery life since the update but he said there was no difference.

I done an update for the wife a couple of days ago and everything is working perfect including a massive improvement on battery (on orange)

lexiscon
8th August, 2011, 07:19 PM
turn off the wifi and bluetooth when not needed. they drain the battery quick.:flowers:

rabies
8th August, 2011, 08:55 PM
get an app called APNdroid, it allows you to turn your 3g/gprs on and off when needed.

happy_highlander (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/196489-happy_highlander/) where did you get your update from?

happy_highlander
8th August, 2011, 09:17 PM
get an app called APNdroid, it allows you to turn your 3g/gprs on and off when needed.

happy_highlander (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/196489-happy_highlander/) where did you get your update from?
Straight from kies still on 2.3.3 build number XWKF3 baseband XXKE7 but I have heard a rumor that there is an official update for certain phones to 2.3.4 I'm gonna plug the wifes phone in and have a look to see if hers is one of the versions that is getting the update. I'll let you know.

McMav
10th August, 2011, 11:36 AM
I updated my orange sgs2 yesterday to PDA:KG3 PHONE: KG2 CSC:KG3(ORA) through kies official orange release.

rabies
11th August, 2011, 07:35 PM
kies, i can never get that thing working, my phone just hangs forever.

tshirtman
11th August, 2011, 08:08 PM

what do you mean, your phone just hangs,
when you turn it on, it should give you a URL to put into you pc browser,
your PC may hang but your phone shouldn't.

happy_highlander
11th August, 2011, 10:02 PM
what do you mean, your phone just hangs,
when you turn it on, it should give you a URL to put into you pc browser,
your PC may hang but your phone shouldn't.

that's kies air. He means the full plug your phone in by cable version

happy_highlander
11th August, 2011, 10:07 PM

Your phone hangs because the drivers have not installed properly. With your phone not connected to the pc go to the drivers section in kies. I think it is in the drop down bar at the top. Click install drivers then when you plug your phone into the pc it should reinstall the drivers again but this time it will work if it doesn't keep repeating the steps until it does

Vixen
15th August, 2011, 03:31 AM
Well I have had this phone for a week and I must say I love it. The battery lasts me about 24hours which is the same as my last Nokia. The only small problem I have found is that if you turn the notifications off then when you get a text the sound has muted and also the vibrate. So you have to put up with a text message that you receive scrolling along the top of the phone. But other than that I LOVE IT.

Canker_Canison
15th August, 2011, 12:54 PM
Upgraded to the S2 a week ago, free of charge.

SIM free & 10% off my billing.

The speed is awesome. The screen shocked me even more. My previous phone had an OLED display & looked great, but this is even better. It's hard to describe just how it adjusts to the media that you're using. But films look gritty & real, where games are colourful & crisp.

Don't know why people are having problems with the battery. I've been playing games, watching films, surfing the net, downloading apps when I'm bored & showing it off to friends all the time. I still get over a day out of it running 2.3.3

If you want to try the 2.3.4 release, you can download it from samfirmware.com along with the .PIT file & Odin3 flasher.
You don't need to use Kies to update the firmware, Odin is faster & the software available is generic. So no more bloatware network dribble.
Just make sure you can get your phone into download mode by pressing the vol down key & home button while turning on (it might be vol up key & power. Or vol up home & power).

MrFug
15th August, 2011, 06:35 PM
What 'screen on' time are you getting, canker?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

happy_highlander
15th August, 2011, 07:07 PM
Upgraded to the S2 a week ago, free of charge.

SIM free & 10% off my billing.

The speed is awesome. The screen shocked me even more. My previous phone had an OLED display & looked great, but this is even better. It's hard to describe just how it adjusts to the media that you're using. But films look gritty & real, where games are colourful & crisp.

Don't know why people are having problems with the battery. I've been playing games, watching films, surfing the net, downloading apps when I'm bored & showing it off to friends all the time. I still get over a day out of it running 2.3.3

If you want to try the 2.3.4 release, you can download it from samfirmware.com along with the .PIT file & Odin3 flasher.
You don't need to use Kies to update the firmware, Odin is faster & the software available is generic. So no more bloatware network dribble.
Just make sure you can get your phone into download mode by pressing the vol down key & home button while turning on (it might be vol up key & power. Or vol up home & power).

2.3.4 is stupidly fast canker I have it as a base on my sgs and have went from a quadrant score of 1609 on a 2.3.3 base to 2044 on 2.3.4 custom rom from the same dev just next version up and battery life is better...for me anyway

IceT71
15th August, 2011, 07:11 PM
hi!
i am lucky to have one 2 :)

:celticscarf:

Canker_Canison
16th August, 2011, 11:48 AM

I'll check at the end of the day. Usage is usually around the 50% mark, but never bothered to check the actual on-time.

cunny
16th August, 2011, 08:48 PM
2.3.4 is stupidly fast canker I have it as a base on my sgs and have went from a quadrant score of 1609 on a 2.3.3 base to 2044 on 2.3.4 custom rom from the same dev just next version up and battery life is better...for me anyway

Whick firmware pack did you use? i have downloaded 2, 1 without a PIT file, other has 4 files when odin wants only 3.

Dont matter i zoomed in on the guide to see hwat files went where :)

Canker_Canison
16th August, 2011, 10:21 PM

Not a full working day gone by yet, but here's what I've got on usage...

Battery - 35% after 13h 45m

Display - 38% - on time 2h 33m

Voice calls - 18% - with 46m

Aliens (game) - 11% - after 33m

The rest are all between 7%-2%. I have been going through a load of the functions today, so there was a load of starting & stopping apps, videos & gallery. Also sent a stupid amount of text's today. But this will still see me through the day without any problems.

happy_highlander
16th August, 2011, 10:22 PM
Whick firmware pack did you use? i have downloaded 2, 1 without a PIT file, other has 4 files when odin wants only 3.

Dont matter i zoomed in on the guide to see hwat files went where :)
My one wouldn't have been any help anyway m8 as I already had the bootloaders installed from the previous custom rom I didn't need to flash a full rom and just used the darkyrom installer app and cwm to flash the zip file

tshirtman
16th September, 2011, 08:52 PM
I dropped mine today, from a hight of around 4 foot onto concrete,
I don't have any protective covers on it, it landed on it's top end (headphone socket end), then it bounced onto it's back, and I'm glad to say it's tougher than it looks, only damage done was a small scratch (hardly noticeable) on the top left corner.

happy_highlander
16th September, 2011, 09:22 PM
I dropped mine today, from a hight of around 4 foot onto concrete,
I don't have any protective covers on it, it landed on it's top end (headphone socket end), then it bounced onto it's back, and I'm glad to say it's tougher than it looks, only damage done was a small scratch (hardly noticeable) on the top left corner.

Lucky ~~~~er

MrFug
17th September, 2011, 02:52 AM
I drop mines, on average, about 5 times per day. I'm not stress testing it, I'm just a dick with butter-fingers. So far it's just sustained some light damage to the top left corner.

Those screens are GorillaGlass and it takes a fair bit to crack them.

talalarayed
14th October, 2011, 10:03 AM
Nice phone

Canker_Canison
14th October, 2011, 03:58 PM
Waste of a post.

Update on the battery life.

Had a boring day on wednesday, so hammered my phone.

Played a game for 5 mins or so, watched 40 mins of a film I was part way through....

Then started reading Alien 3 with Aldiko

Total screen time 5 hours 15 mins using about 70% of the total power used.

Still had 28% battery remaining after 17 hours.