PDA

View Full Version : vinyl tiles

dingledangle
15th June, 2011, 05:42 PM
hi guys,i want to put vinyl tiles down in the bathroom but am getting conflicting reports on what to put them on eg:mdf,plywood or hardboard,anyone got any advice,cheerz

Shady
15th June, 2011, 05:45 PM
ive used them in bathrooms and just put them down on floor boards straight away..no probs. in the toilet, the floor wasnt as even and so i used foam underlay, glued it all down with spray mount and vinyled over the top

amos1955
15th June, 2011, 05:50 PM
use 6mm ply nailed/stapled at 150mm(6in) centres

Stuart 0366
15th June, 2011, 09:20 PM
Yup, 6mm ply.

thered
17th June, 2011, 09:58 AM
ive used them in bathrooms and just put them down on floor boards straight away..no probs. in the toilet, the floor wasnt as even and so i used foam underlay, glued it all down with spray mount and vinyled over the top

~~~~in cowboy

Shady
17th June, 2011, 10:00 AM
lol thats not cowboy-ish.. thats innovative :D

trent1579
18th June, 2011, 10:42 PM
ive been a floor layer for 15 years,so i will advise you correctly

1.what type of vinyl tiles are they? luxury i.e amtico or karndean or cheap ones from b&q wickes?

2 normally i would board out the area with 6mm ply,you can either use a compressed staple gun,you can use a maestri 3000 electric stapler or you can use ring shank nails do not use normal nails you will end up hitting pipes/cables

3 its important to get the joints of ply as flush as possible to each other,and also make sure the nails/staples are not protruding the floor make sure everything is flush

4 if there are any gaps between the ply use gripfill or ardex feather finish depending what tiles you have

5 find the centre of the area,and using a straight edge draw a cross ,so you have 4 quaters now loose lay the tiles to see were they fall and that the tiles are equal size at the perimeter you may need to adjust the tiles to try and get everything as even as possible

6 once you have established the layout,draw round the tile closet to the door,this will be your starting tile,now pick up all the tiles you loose laid so the area is clear if you are using spray glue/cheap tiles work into the room from the tile you drawed around . if you are using luxury tiles glue each quater of the floor markings two furthest from the door first(so you will be in the room working to the door.

7 make sure your knife is sharp when cutting,the cut tiles should be done last.pm me if you need any advice

Shady
18th June, 2011, 10:45 PM
ive been a cowboy diyer for 18 years....my ways cheaper ;)
all vinyls shite anyway

maca
18th June, 2011, 10:48 PM
Better still move home :)

trent1579
22nd June, 2011, 07:07 PM
not all vinyl tiles are shite!,some are, as with anything there are a lower end market and higher end

majority of shops or new builds use vinyl tiles i.e amtico or karndean or altro, vinyl tiles are very popular