PDA

View Full Version : Asus Eeepc?

davidharvey75
24th April, 2008, 12:26 AM
Just wondering if anybody has got one or has heard of any god/bad points of this laptop. I think the 2nd generation of them are coming out now. Double the ram, 3 or 5 times the storage, and either linux or windows. Would only be using it for surfing/streaming.
Worth it or not, let me know what you think please.

1st Generation Asus Eeepc (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5100674/Asus-Eee-PC-700-2G-Celeron-Mobile-800MHz-512MB-2GB-7-Linux-Laptop-Notebook-White/Product.html)

2nd Generation Asus Eeepc (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5429229/Asus-Eee-PC-900-Win-W-Intel-Mobile-1GB-12GB-8-9-Windows-XP-Laptop-Notebook-White/Product.html#)

thommo
24th April, 2008, 11:21 AM
dont know about the ones you listed but from my own experience i wont touch asus or acer again.

nothing but trouble with the pair of them with stuff ive bought.

dont let me put you off as im sure others will say there ok. just me personally.

the lappy im using now is a good lappy its acer but it broke after a few months, in warranty but acer didnt want to know. they rarely release spare parts and it took me 6 months to find the part and it cost me 60 quid from canada.

balls to that with paying a load for it and still in warranty. i had to pay though and take it apart myself screw by screw and fit the part. all working fine now but i shouldnt have needed to.

asus not had a lappy off them but there motherboards on pc's are the pits, so i hope they build lappy's better.

my opinions of the two brands so dont let it put you off if you really want one from either maker but me i wont touch them again..

im sure if you listed what you want from a lappy the guys on here would find you some examples to choose from.

davidharvey75
24th April, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks thommo.
It was really just the size and the relative cheapness of the 1st generation one that had made me take notice, the 2nd generation at ?329 is getting into a decent full size laptop and would probably be a better buy to get a normal lappy than 2nd generation.
Thanks again for the input.

thommo
24th April, 2008, 12:03 PM
dont know mate im sure theres better informed people than me to tell you, i just put my point across about what i feel about the brands.

sure one of the others will steer you right into a good one.

Shadow
24th April, 2008, 12:47 PM
Not sure about there laptops but i have always used the Asus motherboards in my pc. Never had a problem with them.

checked the spec and if u are just surfing/streaming do u realy need a solid state hard disk? The first with only 2gig of storage is very low. No room downloading for torrents/music the second with the 12gig would be better but still very cramped.

Solid state drives are still in the realm of server side storage atm, u realy dont need the access speeds for what your planing.