PDA

View Full Version : Virus removal help required

Googley
21st June, 2011, 10:24 AM
I helped a "friend" get their laptop back up and working and she doesnt know much about pc's etc but the first thing I said was get an anti-virus put on and she ignored the advice. Her 18 yr old brother came along and went onto adult website which downloaded a virus thats screwed up her laptop. Tried safe-mode and last know good configuration without success, cant get into system restore as everything keeps reverting to a page ASKING FOR A PASSWORD which she keeps putting in but it wont accept it. I can only think the virus has destroyed her original password. Shes not computer literature so trying to give her telephone help on a step by step basic - well we all started somewhere. I have tried downloading Hirens CD and test it on my laptop so I can post it to her but I cant seem to get the right progam to remove any viruses. Plus can I download Avira onto CD and then post it to her. The laptop is running XP FYI. Its not set up to factory reset as a bit old.
Any advice would be appreciated as need to help her fast to sort some legal stuff.
Thanks a lot
Googley

barrowmanandrew
21st June, 2011, 10:31 AM
i would donwload malware bytes and update it, then stick it on a usb stick and post it to her.

get her start up in safe mode and run it, see what it finds.....