PDA

View Full Version : what you think of this sim only deal ?

Saltire
25th June, 2011, 01:55 AM
I thought this deal looks great for the wife >>>>>

Sim Only deal summary (http://threestore.three.co.uk/DealSummary.aspx?tariffid=2668&offerCode=1SO10D005&id=1183)

She hardly ever calls anyone, so the call minutes is not greatly important.

She likes to text, but we are talking about maybe 20 texts per day at most I would say.

But, the internet thing has became quite important as she has just got a new HTC widlfire S model and wants to be able to use the facebook and send/receive emails while out on the go etc, but at home the phone automatically connects to the wireless broadband in the house, so in house its cool, out of the house its not so good as shes on a pay as you go sim just now.

But I thought for ?10 per month, that three deal looked great, what do you think ?

I have checked the coverage for both mobile use and internet use on 3 at our address and it says perfect for indoors or outdoors.

Let me know what you think a.s.a.p please.

Thanks.;)

Dreamer
25th June, 2011, 02:02 AM
seen one from giff gaff looks good. UNLIMITED internet for ?10

https://giffgaff.com/orders/unlimited-web?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ps-brand&utm_term=giff-gaff

different packages available on pay as you go
it is an 02 network but no customer support. it has a forum for help

southpaw
25th June, 2011, 02:02 AM
Have a look at giffgaff. For a Tenner a month you get 300 x network mins. Totally unlimited text and totaly unlimited and uncapped data. You can grab a sim from link in my signiture with a free fiver

Dreamer
25th June, 2011, 02:03 AM
Have a look at giffgaff. For a Tenner a month you get 300 x network mins. Totally unlimited text and totaly unlimited and uncapped data. You can grab a sim from link in my signiture with a free fiver

Great minds think alike shoupaw lol. I'm just a faster typer but I like your style.. you can make ?5 per referral and it just costs the new customer the same whether they do it from the giff gaff website or from your referred sims.

I know dk do not allow advertising for private profit but at the same time this looks like it is a case of either

-02 get the original custom for free

or you can help a friend out by giving them a referal sim and you and the new sim owner get ?5.

the only problem I can see there is if there were mulitple people advertising referal sims.. which is a possibility

I would far rather you got ?5 for giving me a sim than 02 getting my custom for nothing!!

That is correct isn't it.. there is nothing hidden is there.??. I only ask because me n hubby may be looking to get 2 sims ourselves although I would be getting one and referring my hubby lol

Saltire
25th June, 2011, 03:28 AM

ok thanks guys,

I see that giffgaff uses O2 signals, so I went onto O2's coverage checker website and this is what it says for both voice,text,email,data, and also for Mobile Internet (see attached pictures).

What does this mean in theory for someone like my wife's usage as I described in 1st post, I dont want any breakdown in connection nomatter what shes doing on the phone in the house nomatter whether she is connected to our sky wireless router or if that is off she would be using the phone on its own, so it really does need to be good reception for what she is using it for, as I said, its Vodafone we are with just now and all coverage is perfect and everything seems to work fine, but far far too expensive ?? Maybe you guys can make out what this all means ?

Basically the coverage checker says for voice,text,email and data the signal is "Good indoors and outdoors", BUT for Mobile Internet it says according to the map "Good outdoors" (but not good indoors).

I dont quite understand that as you can see in the pictures it says mobile internet isnt that bad, but according to the actual map it says good outdoors only, hmmmm ???? You can clearly see that the arrow pointing to me is in the beige colour area and that means "outdoors". ??;)

p.s
sorry I had to edit out the roads and names in the map but you can still see what I mean anyway.

southpaw
25th June, 2011, 04:31 AM
Yeh dreamer. Nothing hidden. I get a fiver and the link clicker gets a fiver, however if you go direct to giffgaff you get nout.
I think gg is the best provider out there were unlimited actually means unlimmited. And even without buying goodybags the rates are dirt cheap

Saltire
25th June, 2011, 06:43 AM
I know that I have not gave people much time to respond, its just that I am trying to get this sorted out a.s.a.p, so I am sorry for pushing for answers.

Anyhows, Post 5 of this thread, can you read post number 5 and give me an answer, anyone ? please.

thank you :)

Saltire
25th June, 2011, 09:30 PM
anyone any ideas ??? (see post 5), cheers.

Saltire
25th June, 2011, 11:06 PM

ok mate, ordered two sim cards using your link, cant complain if the signal isnt up to scratch, theres no contract , so no big deal :)

Few things I cant understand are, I was planning in getting the wife the ?10 per month goody bag which it says gives you 250 minutes of calls, is that only calls to other giffgaff users or is that to any uk mobile networks and landlines ?

Other thing I was wondering about is the unlimited texting and unlimited Web, are those texts just to other giffgaff mobiles or to any mobile network ?

And I notice it mentions something about from the 3rd July the Web access wont be free, it will be 20p per day for 100MB (which is fine for the wife) is that the case ?

Then it mentions

"Mobile Internet:
Mobile Internet is free until 03 JUL (with a fair use of 100MB a day). After that date it will be charged at 20p a day. If you use less than 1MB/day you'll pay less than 20p and if you go over 20MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB."

This is all kind of confusing to me as I am not used to phones that use the internet etc, and neither is the wife.

I was thinking it was as simple as topping up with the amount you want, for example ?10 or ?15 and that was it, text like mad to any mobile network, make all the calls you want up to your talk allowance limit and go on the internet/facebook/google etc etc etc, and thats it.

BUT, then it seems to mention if you go over your limit you have to pay the standard tarriff etc, I just cant understand how you can go over your limit if its pay as you go, for example, my vodafone pay as you go just now, If i go over the limit the phone wont work, it wont send texts or make calls or go on the internet, so what the heck is it that giffgaff are on about, I really dont understand all this at all :(

Hope you or someone else can take a bit of time out and explain all this to me please, anyone ???? :beer:

Saltire
26th June, 2011, 12:00 AM
ok mate, ordered two sim cards using your link, cant complain if the signal isnt up to scratch, theres no contract , so no big deal :)

Few things I cant understand are, I was planning in getting the wife the ?10 per month goody bag which it says gives you 250 minutes of calls, is that only calls to other giffgaff users or is that to any uk mobile networks and landlines ?

Other thing I was wondering about is the unlimited texting and unlimited Web, are those texts just to other giffgaff mobiles or to any mobile network ?

And I notice it mentions something about from the 3rd July the Web access wont be free, it will be 20p per day for 100MB (which is fine for the wife) is that the case ?

Then it mentions

"Mobile Internet:
Mobile Internet is free until 03 JUL (with a fair use of 100MB a day). After that date it will be charged at 20p a day. If you use less than 1MB/day you'll pay less than 20p and if you go over 20MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB."

This is all kind of confusing to me as I am not used to phones that use the internet etc, and neither is the wife.

I was thinking it was as simple as topping up with the amount you want, for example ?10 or ?15 and that was it, text like mad to any mobile network, make all the calls you want up to your talk allowance limit and go on the internet/facebook/google etc etc etc, and thats it.

BUT, then it seems to mention if you go over your limit you have to pay the standard tarriff etc, I just cant understand how you can go over your limit if its pay as you go, for example, my vodafone pay as you go just now, If i go over the limit the phone wont work, it wont send texts or make calls or go on the internet, so what the heck is it that giffgaff are on about, I really dont understand all this at all :(

Hope you or someone else can take a bit of time out and explain all this to me please, anyone ???? :beer:

Ahh, I get it now after reading it again a few times, lol

?10 goodybag rates

Calls, texts, call forwarding and video calls to giffgaff

Free

Calls to other UK mobiles, landlines and call forwarding (per minute)

8p after the inclusive
minutes in goodybag

Texts to other UK mobiles and landlines

truly unlimited

Voice mail (per call)

8p after the inclusive
minutes in goodybag

Mobile Internet

truly unlimited

Free phone numbers (starting 080 & 0500)

Free

One thing I still dont understand though is the new thing that happens on the 3rd July with the mobile internet, the thing about 20p per 1MB ???? hmmmm, maybe someone knows ? Thought it was free ?

Saltire
26th June, 2011, 09:50 AM
Doesnt matter guys, ive been reading on the giffgaff forums and the amount of problems they have with speed and connection issues etc etc etc, its defo a no go for me, I will leave it well alone, plus the fact I prefer to have a customer service centre you can call up for help, you cant do that with giffgaff, so nah, its a pity, it is/was a good idea though, but even the free internet is coming to an end too in a few days time, its true when something sounds too good to be true it usually isnt true, BUT, I know there will be 1000's of happy giffgaff users out there, but I cant be bothered with the hassle, especially as Ive said the reception is not 100% for my area.

On the upside, i have ordered the sim cards, and i hope you (southpaw) get your benefit from that, and i will give it a go, i will top it up and try it out when I get them and see what like it is, but if I hit any problems It will be the bin instantly for the simcards, lol.

I thank you guys very much for letting me know about this offer and i mean no offence at all to you, I can only praise you for trying to help, thank you. :)

Dreamer
27th June, 2011, 01:41 PM
even the free internet is coming to an end too in a few days time

When I was reading up on the giffgaff website I noticed that too but it turns out that this is an offer of free internet which everyone gets just now with any giffgaff sim. If you opt for the ?10 goodiebag or above you still get the unlimited internet offer.

I had a trawl around their forum too and some people were having speed issues because they had not set up their phones correctly. As for the signal issue it is the 02 network so anyone would need to check o2 network coverage for thier area.

Saltire
27th June, 2011, 09:05 PM
When I was reading up on the giffgaff website I noticed that too but it turns out that this is an offer of free internet which everyone gets just now with any giffgaff sim. If you opt for the ?10 goodiebag or above you still get the unlimited internet offer.

I had a trawl around their forum too and some people were having speed issues because they had not set up their phones correctly. As for the signal issue it is the 02 network so anyone would need to check o2 network coverage for thier area.

thanks mate.

please see post number 5 of this thread about the coverage in my area and tell me what you think when youve read it, thanks mate.

Dreamer
7th July, 2011, 01:27 PM
thanks mate.

please see post number 5 of this thread about the coverage in my area and tell me what you think when youve read it, thanks mate.

maybe you could call 02 or drop them an email and ask them. or check on the giff gaff forum.
I'm not sure myself what kind of mobile internet reception you would recieve. I'm not sure why the signal needs to be stronger for mobile net??

Saltire
7th July, 2011, 08:48 PM
maybe you could call 02 or drop them an email and ask them. or check on the giff gaff forum.
I'm not sure myself what kind of mobile internet reception you would recieve. I'm not sure why the signal needs to be stronger for mobile net??

I have asked O2 to send me out a couple of free PAYG sim's so that I can check the signal using them, its the only way ya can raise a complaint with O2 as they take nothing to do with giffgiff apart from giffgaff using thier transmitters.

Saltire
8th July, 2011, 07:00 AM
Yeh dreamer. Nothing hidden. I get a fiver and the link clicker gets a fiver, however if you go direct to giffgaff you get nout.
I think gg is the best provider out there were unlimited actually means unlimmited. And even without buying goodybags the rates are dirt cheap

Hi mate, just letting you know that I have so far found giffgaff ~~~~in great man, and thanks for letting me know about them, thanks is due when thanks is due, so thanks mate.

i will most likely get my old number transfered now onto giffgaff too, I was just testing it out for a while to see how it went, but I have to admit it is great :)

I would prefer the signal was better though especially when the O2 coverage checker says I should have excellent coverage inside and ouside the house, but I dont, but I dont mind too much as I let the phone automatically connect to the internet etc using my wireless internet router whilst in the house, but I am waiting on my new O2 sims in the post to try them to see if the connection is much better with those sims, if so then its a giffgaff issue and I can then raise the issue with giffgaff, if not then I can raise the issue with O2 as O2 have informed me, they will not even comment on giffgaff, but they will if I stick an O2 sim in, so I am hoping that I still get a weak signal with the O2 sims and then they will raise a fault report with thier transmitter engineers, until then I cant do anything.

But ye, giffgaff is the dog ballocks man as far as I am concerned, its like having a contract sim except its pay as ya go really, bloody great in my opinion :);)

skitano
22nd July, 2011, 09:36 PM
Found this site with a comparison of SIM only deals (http://www.simonlydealsandcontracts.co.uk/). There seems to be many offers available with the cheapest starting from ?5. It all depends on the minutes, texts and web that is the most suitable for you but you can save heaps with SIM only.