PDA

View Full Version : VU+ pc required?

danped
25th June, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I'm still trying to figure out my vu box but after some reading my thinking has been thrown into doubt. Can I set up my vu box so it is hooked up to a router in isoltion from my pc?

I know I need to hook it up to my pc to set it up and ftp files across, but I want to have two separate networks when it is up and running, one for my pc and broadband on the fixed line and the vu+ and tv on another router and mobile broadband connection. Is this ok to do?

dell_xps
25th June, 2011, 12:23 PM
I've not a clue what you are asking m8.

Yes you can use a mobile internet connection to run your Vu+.
If you have a router why would you want to use a mobile router if you are using it in your house ?
Confused.com m8.

lincsat
25th June, 2011, 12:25 PM
You can do that - with some images you may be able to also configure the box without connecting to the PC at all.

danped
25th June, 2011, 02:56 PM
I've not a clue what you are asking m8.

Yes you can use a mobile internet connection to run your Vu+.
If you have a router why would you want to use a mobile router if you are using it in your house ?
Confused.com m8.

I just dont want my pc and main internet network on the same netwerk as c/s

lincsat - which images would this be? - I have put vix 2.1 at the moment.

lincsat
25th June, 2011, 03:16 PM
Some images posted on forums have all the extra's pre-loaded. You can edit cccam.cfg with the File Manager/Tuxbox commander using the remote - although it's much easier with a PC

dell_xps
25th June, 2011, 03:23 PM
I just dont want my pc and main internet network on the same netwerk as c/s

lincsat - which images would this be? - I have put vix 2.1 at the moment.

Ok so your broadband is from Sly I take it ?
Wise move :-)

danped
25th June, 2011, 08:16 PM
Ok so your broadband is from Sly I take it ?
Wise move :-)

That would be a reason to do it (I'm not with Sly Bband) - but I'm more doing it because my wireless connection isn't actually attributable to me whereas my fixed land line is.

lincsat - ty. I don't mind hokking up pc and box for setup, but I need to be able to run the dns software on the box not on my pc.

dell_xps
25th June, 2011, 10:17 PM
Still not 100% what your asking m8...lol
Have you thought about using home plugs ?

theinvoice
3rd July, 2011, 10:12 PM
Home Plugs work a treat. Give them a try danped dell_xps is right.

RuberDuck
4th July, 2011, 09:51 AM
Still not 100% what your asking m8...lol
Have you thought about using home plugs ?

he wants to set up his receiver so that his share goes through a mobile phone type internet dongle rather than through his home router. i'd say yes it is possible but i'ts by no means a easy task to do.

dell_xps
4th July, 2011, 12:25 PM
If the dude has an Iphone it's easy to do, mywi does it all for ya :-)
Not sure why he doesn't just use home plugs with his router though, each to there own :-)

RuberDuck
4th July, 2011, 01:39 PM
lol probably scared of getting busted for sharing a card.

danped
4th July, 2011, 08:55 PM
lol probably scared of getting busted for sharing a card.

U Got it Ruber.

Why the big smile though? is it cos its unlikely or because you could always be busted no matter what you try or am I missing something...

TY