PDA

View Full Version : which android should i buy?

sgerrard
28th June, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hi i need help decising which android phone is the best for what i need.

(i started another thread about deal extreme, but have since found out the phones on that site are cheap crap)

i am on virgin, i need an android phone (as it has the apps i need). i want to spend ?80-100.

i want something with a large-ish display that is easy to surf the web on. i want something that works prettymuch right away. although im not to bad with upgrading softwares etc etc i dont want to spend days and days setting the phone up.....

decent camera for stills and vids would be nice too.....

can anybody recommend a good phone for my needs?

thanks

Saltire
29th June, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hi i need help decising which android phone is the best for what i need.

(i started another thread about deal extreme, but have since found out the phones on that site are cheap crap)

i am on virgin, i need an android phone (as it has the apps i need). i want to spend ?80-100.

i want something with a large-ish display that is easy to surf the web on. i want something that works prettymuch right away. although im not to bad with upgrading softwares etc etc i dont want to spend days and days setting the phone up.....

decent camera for stills and vids would be nice too.....

can anybody recommend a good phone for my needs?

thanks

Mate, you have no chance of getting a good android phone for 80-100quid, not with the latest version of android anyway.

even a second hand phone with the latest version of android will still cost you well over 100quid depending on the condition of it etc and even at that its dodgy as you might not have a warranty.

If you could afford to go to maybe 150quid then you manage a brand new phone with the latest version of android and thats you got warranty and everything, but for 100 you are going to have to go to the local market and hope for the best mate, sorry.

Canker_Canison
30th June, 2011, 03:20 PM
Most mid ranged android handsets don't suppot flash. So if you want to suft as if it was a PC you will need to aim higher.

Bumgarner
5th July, 2011, 07:46 AM
if you have enough money,i suggest you buy htc or samsung,maybe moto also a good choise.

sgerrard
8th July, 2011, 11:56 AM
Mate, you have no chance of getting a good android phone for 80-100quid, not with the latest version of android anyway.

even a second hand phone with the latest version of android will still cost you well over 100quid depending on the condition of it etc and even at that its dodgy as you might not have a warranty.

If you could afford to go to maybe 150quid then you manage a brand new phone with the latest version of android and thats you got warranty and everything, but for 100 you are going to have to go to the local market and hope for the best mate, sorry.

thanks mate

ok i would be willing to go up in budget, becuase i dont want some cheap junk that would need replacing in 6 months anyway.

i think anrdoid is the operating system, so when you say latest version, i think you mean a phone that has the latest version of andriod on it?.......how important is that? (for example im still running windows xp!.......but is it more important to have the latest versions of android on your phone than it is to have windows on a home pc?

im guessing its not possible to buy an older andriod handset and put the latest version of android on it?

thanks

sgerrard
8th July, 2011, 11:58 AM
Most mid ranged android handsets don't suppot flash. So if you want to suft as if it was a PC you will need to aim higher.

thanks

so what would you recommend?

seems like i have to go up in budget anyway so i might aswell see whats on offer.....

flash isnt that important, but then again when surfing on your phone you want all websites to work.

are you saying things like skyplayer, youtube etc etc wouldnt work on some androids?

cheers

sgerrard
8th July, 2011, 11:58 AM
if you have enough money,i suggest you buy htc or samsung,maybe moto also a good choise.

thanks

thre are so many versions of the phones you mention, can you be more specific please?

Saltire
8th July, 2011, 10:15 PM
thanks

thre are so many versions of the phones you mention, can you be more specific please?

HTC wildfire S model is excellent mate.

andy1weir
9th July, 2011, 03:56 PM
wildfire s is a good phone, very nice design but the screen res is terrible, i have an x10, records video in 720p hd, 8.1 mp camera, carphone warehouse had them for 150 brand new other week, their getting 2.3.4 in august (hopefully) but theres already froyo and gb roms out their for them, im running 2.2 just now, so i can have flash ,

just take the time to research it m8, go into the phone shops, and lok at handsets also , i was going to get a samsung galaxy s but decidied against it once i felt it, feels cheap (just my opinion) so ill stick with my x10

Saltire
10th July, 2011, 12:58 AM
wildfire s is a good phone, very nice design but the screen res is terrible, i have an x10, records video in 720p hd, 8.1 mp camera, carphone warehouse had them for 150 brand new other week, their getting 2.3.4 in august (hopefully) but theres already froyo and gb roms out their for them, im running 2.2 just now, so i can have flash ,

just take the time to research it m8, go into the phone shops, and lok at handsets also , i was going to get a samsung galaxy s but decidied against it once i felt it, feels cheap (just my opinion) so ill stick with my x10

I have to disagree with you mate, the htc wildfire S is an amazing phone, does maybe everything or more the latest iphone does but in a smaller size, but horses for courses, everyone has thier own opinions on different things :)

sgerrard
10th July, 2011, 11:54 AM
thansk guys

just doing more research into this, isnt the wildfire s the one with the really poor battery though, people saying that it must be charged everyday??

also i guess the newer the phone the newer version of android it will have.....do all apps work on the new versions of android?

happy_highlander
10th July, 2011, 12:36 PM
thansk guys

just doing more research into this, isnt the wildfire s the one with the really poor battery though, people saying that it must be charged everyday??

also i guess the newer the phone the newer version of android it will have.....do all apps work on the new versions of android?
Every smart phone will need to be charged everyday if you use for what it is intended so don't let that put you off. I have a galaxy s rooted and running a custom rom that needs charged everyday and so does the wifes s2 which is completely stock. I can get 2 days out of my phone on weekdays when I am at work and not really using it during the day but seeing as I use my phone as an alarm clock it gets pluged in overnight anyway so as long as it lasts a day comfortably I'm happy. And as far as the android versions go even if you buy an older phone the operating system can be updated officially (without rooting) to the latest version supplied by the manufacturer

andy1weir
10th July, 2011, 03:00 PM
Every smart phone will need to be charged everyday if you use for what it is intended so don't let that put you off. I have a galaxy s rooted and running a custom rom that needs charged everyday and so does the wifes s2 which is completely stock. I can get 2 days out of my phone on weekdays when I am at work and not really using it during the day but seeing as I use my phone as an alarm clock it gets pluged in overnight anyway so as long as it lasts a day comfortably I'm happy. And as far as the android versions go even if you buy an older phone the operating system can be updated officially (without rooting) to the latest version supplied by the manufacturer

not every smartphone has to be charged everyday, i get two days out my x10i, with medium use, using facebook/twitter, few games calls texts and messing about with apps etc

happy_highlander
10th July, 2011, 04:00 PM
not every smartphone has to be charged everyday, i get two days out my x10i, with medium use, using facebook/twitter, few games calls texts and messing about with apps etc
As I said so can I with medium use but if I want to use it as a sat nav which a lot of people do you won't get more than a day in a heavy use situation. So even though the HTC is not my phone of choice it is not really any different to any other phone. But can I ask do you put yours on charge overnight anyway just to make sure you will have enough power for whatever you need to do with it the next day or wait till it goes dead in the middle of a call..because you have been using it a bit more than expected on day 2 when you are starting with only half the power you could be.

andy1weir
10th July, 2011, 04:49 PM
As I said so can I with medium use but if I want to use it as a sat nav which a lot of people do you won't get more than a day in a heavy use situation. So even though the HTC is not my phone of choice it is not really any different to any other phone. But can I ask do you put yours on charge overnight anyway just to make sure you will have enough power for whatever you need to do with it the next day or wait till it goes dead in the middle of a call..because you have been using it a bit more than expected on day 2 when you are starting with only half the power you could be.
i dont have to charge it overnight because i know the battery will last , by the end of the second day its between 20 -30% and i play with it a lot, angry birds and burn the rope are quite addicting

happy_highlander
10th July, 2011, 05:27 PM
Far to addictive. I had to stop playing angry birds cause it got to the stage where I was playing it every time I got stopped at traffic lights never mind driving my wife nuts when she was trying to have a conversation with me

sgerrard
10th July, 2011, 06:13 PM
thanks

andy is the x10 you mentioned the sony experia x10? doesnt look bad, good screen size and if i could get it for ?150 would be ok i guess

how do you think this compares to the htc wildfire s (which seems to be about ?130)

does either support flash making surfing all websites quicker/easier?

how easy is either to unlock?

what about the orange san fransico that everyone keeps going on about, i heard its easy to unlock and can be had for about ?100......will it do everything i want?

happy_highlander
10th July, 2011, 06:23 PM
If you look at the quadrant scores on the other thread you will see that a sanfransisco (zte blade) gives more or less the same performance once rooted and custom rom installed as a stock galaxy s on froyo with the x 10 not to far behind. I can't comment on display having not used them all, so it really depends on what you will mainly use the phone for

sgerrard
10th July, 2011, 06:38 PM
what does rooting it and custom rom allow the san fransico to do, and how hard is it to do all that?

im guessing the samsung galaxy uses a software called froyo, is this the same/similar to android?

sorry mate, what otehr thread are you talking about?

cheers...

Pussyman
10th July, 2011, 06:40 PM
I?m happy with Samsung Galaxy ACE

andy1weir
10th July, 2011, 06:40 PM
thanks

andy is the x10 you mentioned the sony experia x10? doesnt look bad, good screen size and if i could get it for ?150 would be ok i guess

how do you think this compares to the htc wildfire s (which seems to be about ?130)

does either support flash making surfing all websites quicker/easier?

how easy is either to unlock?

what about the orange san fransico that everyone keeps going on about, i heard its easy to unlock and can be had for about ?100......will it do everything i want?

ye mines is the sony ericsson , very easy to unlock, easy to install custom roms and stuff aswell, as for the screen compared to the wildfire s, imo the resolution on wildfire s is horrible, the x10i again just my opinion but it is lovely, no idea about the orange one as ive never played around with one, but pretty much all android phones will do the same as its the same os on them really, and all phones (almost all) can be upgraded to latest android even if the maufacturer doesnt support it

happy_highlander
10th July, 2011, 08:46 PM
what does rooting it and custom rom allow the san fransico to do, and how hard is it to do all that?

im guessing the samsung galaxy uses a software called froyo, is this the same/similar to android?

sorry mate, what otehr thread are you talking about?

cheers...
This thread http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f198/has-anyone-done-quadrant-bench-test-their-phone-lately-215268/ will give you an idea of the difference between a phone running on stock and on custom rom if you look andy has put up three different scores from exactly the same phone running different roms and I have put up a stock galaxy s and a rooted with custom rom galaxy s and you will notice that by rooting either the x10 or zte blade (san francisco) you can get pretty much the same performace as the stock galaxy s for half the money or less with a good custom rom

the man
13th July, 2011, 01:20 PM
Phone Product Detail - Samsung Galaxy Europa (http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/init/Samsung/Galaxy_Europa?cm_mmc=affiliate-_-hotukdeals-_-blank-_-blank)

?39.99

alom5
13th July, 2011, 02:25 PM
galaxy s. and get a stock rom on it. there are plenty over at xda developers forum.

i've had it 11months now and been great....updated when required.

its cheaper now as glaxy s 2 has come out also.

sgerrard
13th July, 2011, 06:20 PM
thanks guys

ok i have ordered the HTC DESIRE S

what are your thoughts on this phone?

basically im going to pay an extra ?4 per month on my contract for it, and it ties me into a 24 month contract.....

so basically its going to cost me ?96 extra over 2 years.

do you think ive got a good deal?

i only pay ?10 per month for 600 mins, unlimted text, unlimited internet and unlimited virgin to virgin.....this deal means im now paying ?14

what do you think about the deal/package and the phone?

happy_highlander
13th July, 2011, 09:39 PM
thanks guys

ok i have ordered the HTC DESIRE S

what are your thoughts on this phone?

basically im going to pay an extra ?4 per month on my contract for it, and it ties me into a 24 month contract.....

so basically its going to cost me ?96 extra over 2 years.

do you think ive got a good deal?

i only pay ?10 per month for 600 mins, unlimted text, unlimited internet and unlimited virgin to virgin.....this deal means im now paying ?14

what do you think about the deal/package and the phone?That deal sound pretty good and you will be happy with the phone. A few pointers to remember, virgin unlimited internet is not unlimited it is subject to a fair usage policy of 3gb per month which you are not likely to even get close to ( my wife uses less than 100mb) but remember using google navigation as a sat nav uses your mobile data allowance, your phone will come sim locked to virgin which is an obstacle if custom rom is going to be installed and htc have locked bootloaders making them a little trickier to root and install custom. Can still be done relatively comfortably but may need some extra reading and holding your breath a little harder than the rest of us while flashing new rom. Virgin are advertising that your choice of phone will have 2.3 gingerbread which is the newest official release of android so you are going to have a pretty quick and responsive machine straight out the box ruling out any need to consider rooting untiil you decide you are ready if that is the road you decide to go down.

sgerrard
13th July, 2011, 10:11 PM
That deal sound pretty good and you will be happy with the phone. A few pointers to remember, virgin unlimited internet is not unlimited it is subject to a fair usage policy of 3gb per month which you are not likely to even get close to ( my wife uses less than 100mb) but remember using google navigation as a sat nav uses your mobile data allowance, your phone will come sim locked to virgin which is an obstacle if custom rom is going to be installed and htc have locked bootloaders making them a little trickier to root and install custom. Can still be done relatively comfortably but may need some extra reading and holding your breath a little harder than the rest of us while flashing new rom. Virgin are advertising that your choice of phone will have 2.3 gingerbread which is the newest official release of android so you are going to have a pretty quick and responsive machine straight out the box ruling out any need to consider rooting untiil you decide you are ready if that is the road you decide to go down.

thanks mate

yea it does seem like a decent deal, i think after 2 years it should still be worth ?50-?100?

since im getting this mainly for the internet i dont mind that its locked to virgin. as thats the sim thats giving me the free internet it should be fine.

i did like the idea of putting sat nav on it, is that free on android? i actually think i get 1GB usage a month (not unlimited) would using sat nav drain alot of that do you think?

xant14
13th July, 2011, 10:37 PM
You can get Aura navigation that doesnt use internet, apart from the initial download, or Skobbler.
But Google nav will use data

happy_highlander
13th July, 2011, 10:51 PM
thanks mate

yea it does seem like a decent deal, i think after 2 years it should still be worth ?50-?100?

since im getting this mainly for the internet i dont mind that its locked to virgin. as thats the sim thats giving me the free internet it should be fine.

i did like the idea of putting sat nav on it, is that free on android? i actually think i get 1GB usage a month (not unlimited) would using sat nav drain alot of that do you think?
If you use google navigation which is pre installed I think (it is on a galaxy s) it works on your mobile data which is your internet but I have no idea how much data it uses as I have unlimited internet with no fair use policy so my bill doesn't even register data use which is also your e-mails and all downloads from the app market (except when you are connected to wifi of course) so you can always use the excuse of needing to check your e-mails so you can stop at mcdonalds for the free wifi. There are a few good satnav apps that do not use your data as the maps are installed on your sd card, copilot is one of the best but is not cheap and the cracked versions I have tried do not seem to work for any length of time. Sat navs are also very power hungry as they use gps and constant display so a car charger will be a must if you are going ot use it for any length of journey.

sgerrard
13th July, 2011, 11:14 PM
You can get Aura navigation that doesnt use internet, apart from the initial download, or Skobbler.
But Google nav will use data

thanks is this free?

i have sat nav anyway so it would just be a back up, so i dont really want to pay for one....

If you use google navigation which is pre installed I think (it is on a galaxy s) it works on your mobile data which is your internet but I have no idea how much data it uses as I have unlimited internet with no fair use policy so my bill doesn't even register data use which is also your e-mails and all downloads from the app market (except when you are connected to wifi of course) so you can always use the excuse of needing to check your e-mails so you can stop at mcdonalds for the free wifi. There are a few good satnav apps that do not use your data as the maps are installed on your sd card, copilot is one of the best but is not cheap and the cracked versions I have tried do not seem to work for any length of time. Sat navs are also very power hungry as they use gps and constant display so a car charger will be a must if you are going ot use it for any length of journey.

i guess co pilot isnt free then, and from what your saying its hard to get a cracked version, thats a shame....

didnt think of downloading via wifi...i guess downloading via my home wireless or internet is possible aswell then?

what would you say are the best apps on the android market, that are free?

to get the most out of my phone i mean....

happy_highlander
13th July, 2011, 11:15 PM
Just had a quick look around and it looks like there is huge difference in the amount of data use with google navigation, here are the different tests logged 1mb data for an 8 mile journey,,,80mb data google navigation used for a couple of hours a day over 10 days but here is the biggy.. 50mb data for a 2 hour round trip with layar switched on as well as google nav. So all in all fi you don't use layar at the same time as google nav you should be ok with 1gb bearing in mind there are plenty apps out there that will keep a real time track of your data usage and 100mb of data is approx 5 hours of youtube streaming.

happy_highlander
13th July, 2011, 11:40 PM
thanks is this free?

i have sat nav anyway so it would just be a back up, so i dont really want to pay for one....

i guess co pilot isnt free then, and from what your saying its hard to get a cracked version, thats a shame....

didnt think of downloading via wifi...i guess downloading via my home wireless or internet is possible aswell then?

what would you say are the best apps on the android market, that are free?

to get the most out of my phone i mean....
It depends what you want to use your phone for and remember it is an android so it will run cracked apps without any modification. The best way to describe your phone is like a miniture computer it will read and edit microsoft office documents it will add things to a shopping list by scanning the barcode it will print to any wifi printer direct from the phone it will track your total distance covered when out for a walk or cycle, it will play any mp3 file it will play play any movie in the same standard format that you download onto your computer (avi) It can be a spirit level,or a compass it can e-mail your gps postion to a friend if you are lost who can then select get directions on google nav and come find you, it can wake you up in the morning, it can wake you up and make you do a maths question to snooze it or turn it off. It cannot make toast and tea..Oh and it does make calls and texts,,nearly forgot that bit. And unlike an i-phone you can do all these things without having to pay for any of them if you don't want to...One of the most important apps you will need if you plan to install apps that you have downloaded for free (cough cough) onto your computer is Astro File manager. This will install them for you. This method is not really necessary anymore though as there are a few app markets that let you download cracked apps directly onto your phone. Once you are up and running we can go through that.

You should always connect to wifi when you can, remember most pubs and restraunts offer free wifi nowadays anyway, and it is the quickest way to browse or download and makes sure you stay under your data limit

Being locked to virgin will only become an obstacle if you decide to flash a custom rom as it is very dangerous (to your phone) to try and flash a sim locked phone and there is a high possibility that it will be rendered useless.

sgerrard
14th July, 2011, 12:47 AM
It depends what you want to use your phone for and remember it is an android so it will run cracked apps without any modification. The best way to describe your phone is like a miniture computer it will read and edit microsoft office documents it will add things to a shopping list by scanning the barcode it will print to any wifi printer direct from the phone it will track your total distance covered when out for a walk or cycle, it will play any mp3 file it will play play any movie in the same standard format that you download onto your computer (avi) It can be a spirit level,or a compass it can e-mail your gps postion to a friend if you are lost who can then select get directions on google nav and come find you, it can wake you up in the morning, it can wake you up and make you do a maths question to snooze it or turn it off. It cannot make toast and tea..Oh and it does make calls and texts,,nearly forgot that bit. And unlike an i-phone you can do all these things without having to pay for any of them if you don't want to...One of the most important apps you will need if you plan to install apps that you have downloaded for free (cough cough) onto your computer is Astro File manager. This will install them for you. This method is not really necessary anymore though as there are a few app markets that let you download cracked apps directly onto your phone. Once you are up and running we can go through that.

You should always connect to wifi when you can, remember most pubs and restraunts offer free wifi nowadays anyway, and it is the quickest way to browse or download and makes sure you stay under your data limit

Being locked to virgin will only become an obstacle if you decide to flash a custom rom as it is very dangerous (to your phone) to try and flash a sim locked phone and there is a high possibility that it will be rendered useless.

wow thanks for such a detailed post mate!

i think you mentioned that my htc will come with google nav installed for free, so as long as i turn layer off (not sure what that is and how to turn it off but i guess ill figure that out lol)
then i should be fine. 80 mb for 2 hours a day over 10 days is nothign really. and most of the time you can switch a sat nav off when ur on motorway etc it would just be a back up to the one sat nav we have in the house hold anyway.....

where is best to look for cracked apps? would i just down load the apps to Astro File manager on my computer then link the phone to computer and transfer them over, or is it safe to download them direct to my phone?

with them being cracked i guess they arent strictly cosher so whats the chances of getting caught etc?

love the idea of the maths puzzle, might get my lazy ass out of bed quicker!

some of the apps im using i dont want people to see or be able to use or access, is it easy to lock them in a specific folder? and only have pin code accsess to that folder and info?

i also need to be able to use a spreadsheet on my phone, its pretty basic but i think i did read somewhere that a phone couldnt use an excell type spreadsheet program?

also are there any drawbacks of having the latest software/version of android? are there apps that only work on older versions?

wouldnt the latest software be designed for me to be able to get less cracked apps and not make the cracked apps work aswell in the future?

xant14
14th July, 2011, 06:57 AM
I very much doubt in normal use that using Google maps for Nav would cost you anything, in the UK that is, but, I did read in Stuff Mag or T3, that if you used it to drive from Calais to Marseille return, it would cost you ?270 in roaming data charges. So beware if using your phone abroad.

That coont who used his phone as a internet tether for his laptop in Italy, streaming to his UK local radio racked up a ?7000 bill.

I think I have Aura cracked somewhere, pm me if you want it.

happy_highlander
14th July, 2011, 12:17 PM
wow thanks for such a detailed post mate!

i think you mentioned that my htc will come with google nav installed for free, so as long as i turn layer off (not sure what that is and how to turn it off but i guess ill figure that out lol)
then i should be fine. 80 mb for 2 hours a day over 10 days is nothign really. and most of the time you can switch a sat nav off when ur on motorway etc it would just be a back up to the one sat nav we have in the house hold anyway.....

where is best to look for cracked apps? would i just down load the apps to Astro File manager on my computer then link the phone to computer and transfer them over, or is it safe to download them direct to my phone?

with them being cracked i guess they arent strictly cosher so whats the chances of getting caught etc?

love the idea of the maths puzzle, might get my lazy ass out of bed quicker!

some of the apps im using i dont want people to see or be able to use or access, is it easy to lock them in a specific folder? and only have pin code accsess to that folder and info?

i also need to be able to use a spreadsheet on my phone, its pretty basic but i think i did read somewhere that a phone couldnt use an excell type spreadsheet program?

also are there any drawbacks of having the latest software/version of android? are there apps that only work on older versions?

wouldnt the latest software be designed for me to be able to get less cracked apps and not make the cracked apps work aswell in the future?Glad to be of help.
First of all have a read at the overview on what android is in this post http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f198/beginners-guide-android-216467/ I have tried to give basic insight as to what android and apps/widgets are and do, I also give basic safety measures to look at when installing apps both cracked and direct from the app market but best safety measure of all is use your common sense. With android you must give the app permission to access the operating system which is why virus are rare and if you do get a virus that costs you money by sending premium rate texts or so on it WILL have asked YOU for permission to do so before you installed it. There are a few good free antivirus apps out there that will scan all apps upon installation and I would recommend LOOKOUT until you are more familiar and comfortable with the system and set up. I have personally removed that app now as if i mess things up it is my own fault and should know better. Antivirus do run constantly in the background using resources the same as with a pc.

There is no drawback updating android to the latest versions as it is open source there is no concern of blocking cracked apps, that has been left to google and the app developers, it only gets better with every new release.

Almost all mobile office apps can read and edit microsoft excel documents and you will probably have one pre installed when phone arrives.

I'm not to sure about hiding apps but you can certainly lock them so they can't be used without a pin but you can hide photo's and other data so that they can't be viewed.

Most apps are not mass produced they are delveloped by individuals trying to make the community better which is why most apps are relatively cheap and almost all have free versions with ads but they do ask for extra permissions upon install so that the ads can access the internet and stuff so although they are not cosher there is an app market that stores cracked apps for direct download exactly the same as the normal market. There doesn't seem to be any policing policy trying to catch people out.

The maths puzzle alarm is just a free clock app from the android market and believe me when the sodding thing is trying to get you answer questions at 0600 while the wife is pissin and moanin cause you can't think straight enough to turn it off it gets a bit annoying.

Astro file manager is an app for your phone which will allow you to install any .apk file (app) that you have downloaded onto the computer. And there is your clue for what to put after the app name you are searching the internet/torrent for.

If you do get stuck ther is usually someone on here that has already done what you have done and will know how to fix it.

sgerrard
14th July, 2011, 12:39 PM
thansk xant14, pm sent mate :)

yea highlander youve been a great help, it would take me hours and hours of surfing to get all the info your giving me, so thanks alot!

ok phone has arrived, they dikheads have sent me the HTC WILDFIRE S!!

despite the guy tellign me the phone isnt made anymore and convincing me to get the desire s, the idiot sent me the wrong phone!

it will be going back, but it gives me a couple of days to play with it before i send it back now.

i will read that thread you suggested mate, in fact i only noticed last night, so sorry if ive asked you things already covered in there. i will read today at some point.

i been having a little play with the phone, it does seem really good. one thing i dont get is if i connect to the internet, google, go to sly sports news and view a few pages, how do i turn it off?

it seems that everytime i go back to the internet icon, it is still on that same page? isnt that using my mobile data, by running in the background?

same thing applies to youtube, i watched a video, then got a call, when i went back to youtube the last search was still there, isnt that using my data?

ill try not to ask many more questions without reading that tread now though.....

cheers once again.

happy_highlander
14th July, 2011, 01:43 PM
They shouldn't be using your data when you are not viewing them but to switch them off you need to backup out of the app instead of using the home button or go to task manager and manually stop all running apps

sgerrard
17th July, 2011, 05:52 PM
ok mate up and running now....

have been having a play around with the phone for a few days getting used to things.

have downloaded the astro file manager now.

i didnt download "lookout" yet as i think there is a premium version, is it possible to get this, or is the free version enough?

what is your opinion on this battery saving app, its available for free but does it really work?!

also im not sure how to use this astro file manager, i have a cracked app that someone sent me but how do i get that on my phone now?

finally where is the best place/forum for the cracked apps? i tried the xda-developers forum but it doesnt seem very newbie freindly...

thanks

happy_highlander
17th July, 2011, 10:37 PM
ok mate up and running now....

have been having a play around with the phone for a few days getting used to things.

have downloaded the astro file manager now.

i didnt download "lookout" yet as i think there is a premium version, is it possible to get this, or is the free version enough?

what is your opinion on this battery saving app, its available for free but does it really work?!

also im not sure how to use this astro file manager, i have a cracked app that someone sent me but how do i get that on my phone now?

finally where is the best place/forum for the cracked apps? i tried the xda-developers forum but it doesnt seem very newbie freindly...

thanks
Ok first off xda is a developer site and a lot of the apps come from the guys on there so they won't be too happy if you are asking for cracked apps. Second of all cracked apps is piracy and is not condoned on any site.

Ok thats that bit out of the way.
Astro File manager allows you to install apk files that you transfer from your computer to your phone whethter you do it by bluetooth or by plugging the phone in to the pc. Remember where you put the app on your phone and what the apk file was called. Open astro file manager and search for the name of the apk which can be done by using the search function or navigating to the folder you stored the apk in.
When you download lookout from the app market it will install the premium version as a trial then you just let the trial run out and use the free version that is plenty good enough, what it does is scan the app when you install it to ensure it is safe (absolute necessity if you are installing cracked apps).
The best battery app to use is juice defender ultimate it no longer needs root access and allows you complete control over automatic turning on and off of data and wireless meaning when the lock screen comes on wifi and data turns off but you need to install juice defender basic first then ultimate over the top.

Check your PM.

htquang
27th July, 2011, 11:56 AM
samsung galaxy ii

Synx
27th July, 2011, 04:25 PM
Just got myself a Dell Venue. Seems pretty good to me.

davidmcl1980
10th September, 2011, 02:26 PM
samsung galaxy mini is the worst out there defo

Canker_Canison
12th September, 2011, 01:10 PM

You've not looked at Sony Ericsson's feeble efforts then.

manxspud
26th September, 2011, 09:41 PM

Disagree with you there lol

have just bought my daughter 1 for her 13th birthday added to a giffgaff unlimited data usage its a good little phone. I played around with it for a week before her birthday and would recommend this phone with out hesitation ... i will admit to buying her a bigger battery ... but i tend to always do that anyway lol

having had the opportunity to play with a friends Sony Ericsson x8 and my sister in laws wildfire the galaxy seemed a better choice ... and so far all is well lol

dzogani
10th February, 2012, 07:47 PM
Guys what do you think about HTC Desire? A lot of people wrote bad reviews (battery is weak) but I never use many applications so battery life is fine with me.
Do you have some recommendations about this model?
Thanks

Canker_Canison
13th February, 2012, 02:17 PM
The desire is an old phone now. It's not just the apps that drain the battery.

Having spent a bit of time in a shop that deals with warranty claims on phones.... The HTC handsets do seem to have a few issues at the moment.

The people here prefer to sell samsung phones as they have far fewer returns for fault issues.

dzogani
13th February, 2012, 03:56 PM
Canker, thank for info. But best models from Samsung (galaxy s II) are much expensive then average HTC models. Also it's my second phone and it doesn't have to be too good :)