PDA

View Full Version : Power HP via box tuning for pajeros ? advice pls

cipijoint
1st July, 2011, 10:35 AM
i found this uk website selling this :

Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8 TD (84-00) ECU POWER CHIP & FUEL SAVER - ?49.99 : Tuning Wizard - High performance chip upgrades, fuel savers and much more, unleash your vehicles full potential. (http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_464_1621_1627&products_id=1926)

but how can sell for the Pajero 2.8 engine power for ecu because this engine DOESNT HAVE ECU AT ALL .

second, they also sell for 3.5 GDi engine after 2002, anybody have bought from this
Tuning Wizard - High performance chip upgrades, fuel savers and much more, unleash your vehicles full potential. (http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk) some box? worth or not?

lolooo1981
1st July, 2011, 11:56 AM
A good tuning box a this price, i never see it...

Best regards

oldford
1st July, 2011, 05:31 PM
How to sell a 2 cents resistor for GBP 49.99.
Now that is a profit margin to my liking.

z786
1st July, 2011, 07:26 PM
how does that resistor work then?

oldford
1st July, 2011, 08:15 PM
This is the sales talk from the manufacturer: Alfa Romeo 147 GTA 3.2 V6 24V 25 BHP POWER CHIP - ?19.99 : Tuning Wizard - High performance chip upgrades, fuel savers and much more, unleash your vehicles full potential. (http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_129_552_496&products_id=229)

I only tune petrol cars, so I will only comment on the effect on petrol cars.

The story from te seller is: the resistor will increase the voltage signal to the ecu (make it think the temperature is lower than actual), the ecu will increase injection times (add fuel), and voila you have 25bhp extra. They also claim a better mileage.

I tell the story a liittle bit different.
Modern day ecu's (say from 1986 on) have an Oxygen sensor. Obligated by law in the USA and Europe from at least the early 90's. The ecu will maintain a specified mixture (lambda 1.0) during idle and partial load.
Now you can add fuel in any way you want, but the ecu and the lambda control in the software will adjust that back to lambda 1.0. So, 70, 80 or even 90% of the time adding fuel doesn't work at all. Adding fuel will only occur at WOT.
Adding fuel at WOT may work on some vehicles (which are mapped very lean by the manufacturer) on other's like BMW's and Japanese cars it's counter productive and will actually decrease the horse power.

Wait! It gets even better.
An intake air temperature is needed when the ecu uses a map-sensor or an old-fashioned airflow sensor (old L-jetronic type with a flap). A large portion of the cars since 1996 has an air mass meter which automatically adjusts the signal for the real temperature. Therefor the ecu doesn't need the air temp to caluclate fuel. Any changes to the air temp signal have only a very limited to no effect on the amount of fuel.

So, the only thing left is the ignition timing.
Ecu's can correct (retard) the ignition when the temperature gets too high. With this wonderfull device, of course they won't, because the ecu has no idea the inlet air is that hot.
That may lead to pinking (knock) at high engine speeds. If you're lucky it will be corrected by the knock sensor(s).
Most ecu's I know use the same calculated/measured airmass as an axis on the fuel table and the ignition table. A large portion of the cars since 1996 uses the air mass meter signal, and once again manipulating the inlet temperature has no effect.

Should I go on any further?

oldford
2nd July, 2011, 10:10 AM
They even have a better version of the one I found yesterday. Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TS Selespeed 40 BHP POWER CHIP & FUEL SAVER - ?49.99 : Tuning Wizard - High performance chip upgrades, fuel savers and much more, unleash your vehicles full potential. (http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_129_552_494&products_id=227&zenid=eoovec9r0ns2k1b6k6vi4bc5s6)
Now we have 40 (fourty) bhp more.
Anybody here that believes in fairy tales?

For those who do believe in fairy tales:
BMW 116i Petrol (04-on) 40 BHP POWER CHIP & FUEL SAVER - ?49.99 : Tuning Wizard - High performance chip upgrades, fuel savers and much more, unleash your vehicles full potential. (http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_171_833_834&products_id=736)
40 bhp more from a 115bhp 1.6 litre engine.
The standard engine produces almost 72 bhp per litre. For the "chipped" engine they claim 155 bhp, so almost 97 bhp per litre. Such an increase will not damage the engine? I don't think so. I doubt if the head gasket can cope with the increased pressure in the cylinders needed to produce this much horse power.
Of course nothing will happen to the head gasket, but that's because they will not add a single bhp with this gadget.

They claim this has been tested on rolling roads across the country. But where are the printouts from these tests?
If they really gain 40 bhp and have printouts, these would be on the site to impress the ignorant?

Then there's the claim of increased mpg. Everybody wants that today with the fuel prices as they are now.
BUT, the car has a Lambda control. The mixture on part load (70 - 90% of the time) will be exactly the same as before. If the mixture is the same, them the mpg is also the same.

pablo1971
2nd July, 2011, 03:52 PM
i cant seen how it works with the 2.8,this is a basic mechanical pump...and HAS NOT GOT A INLET AIR TEMP SENSOR...i think they got the car details mixed up...this would work with the 3.2 shogum 4m41 engine..