PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw chain oil

Donka
3rd July, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all, i've got a bog standard macallister electric chainsaw. Noticed chain oil wasn't getting to chain stripped it down and all connections from oil tank through the machine to the chain bar are connected. I blow through the pickup in the oil tank and it comes out the tiny pin hole on the chain guard. Then sometimes after putting it all back together the oil will come through but if i walk away and come back to it the oil stops to flow through. Could this be air block in the tube and if so how do i clear it, or any other suggestions thanks Donka.

stihl260
4th July, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hi
Cant comment on your electric chainsaw, but as im sure you noticed from my username i use a 2 stroke Stihl Chainsaw.

Assuming that your electric machine uses the same basic way of oiling the following may help.

My Oil is as yours is fed from an oil holder within the saw.
Mine is pump driven and i can alter the flow by increasing or decreasing the amount of oil flow.

You have a faulty oil pump?

The oil is usualy fed onto the bar and chain itself,

Your chain bar will have a groove in it where your chain sits, if this becomes too worn (check depth) or damaged then the chain wont oil properly.

Same applies to the chain itself , if the chain is too worn or damaged to the point where it does not run smooth on the bar then again it wont oil properly .

Regular stripping and cleaning of the bar and chain is essential to smooth running.

Saw dust clogs the oil ways and heats up your chain and bar.

Clean inside the casing (where the bar sits and the sproket for your chain), use an oild clean dry paint brush and and compressed air if you can.

If your chain is sharp then you wont get too much saw dust as it will in fact cut strips out the wood your cutting (depends upon the type of chain in use).

Kepping the tension correct will also avoid excessive bar and chain wear.
Once tension, if you pull the chain up from the bar (you should see no more than 3 links lifting) any more (too loose) any less (too tight).

Adjust the tension with the correct tool.

You should flip your bar over every time you strip the saw to keep the bar wear even.

You will know if your not oiling properly or your chain is getting hot as you will notice "blueing of the mrtal bar edging due to the excessive heat generated".

This will only lead to premature bar and chain failure.

As the bar and chain heat up and expand they tighten and if not not lubed properly will put extra strain on your sproket and the drive motor itself.

Use a decent quality chain oil, not engine Oil!
Proper fully synthetic chain oil is designed for the job and will work more effeciently than other oils that are thinner in viscosity.

Probably more info than you needed, but hope this helps.