PDA

View Full Version : CPU core speed not showing right

roryson
6th July, 2011, 09:09 PM
my board is a ASUS M4N78 PRO and my processor is a AMD ATHLON 64 X2 6400+
When i first boot up the core speed is what it should be at 3200MHz. after 10 seconds or so it drops to 1000MHz.
i recently updated my bios to the latest that was on the website. any ideas people..??

TheCoder
6th July, 2011, 10:09 PM
Could be some kind of power-saving mode dropping the cpu clock speed when the processor isn't active or needed. Try loading the processor by running some cpu intensive tasks and see if you can increase the clock speed.

drawflex
6th July, 2011, 10:17 PM
Stole this from wiki
Athlon 64 also features CPU speed throttling technology branded Cool'n'Quiet, a feature similar to Intel's SpeedStep that can throttle the processor's clock speed back to facilitate lower power consumption and heat production.[49] When the user is running undemanding applications and the load on the processor is light, the processor's clock speed and voltage are reduced. This in turn reduces its peak power consumption (max TDP set at 89 W by AMD) to as low as 32 W (stepping C0, clock speed reduced to 800 MHz) or 22W (stepping CG, clock speed reduced to 1 GHz). The Athlon 64 also has an Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) which prevents the CPU die from accidentally being damaged when mounting and unmounting heat sinks. With prior AMD CPUs a CPU shim could be used by people worried about damaging the die.

you should be able to turn this feature off if you really want... either in the BIOS menu... or in advanced power management in windows.

roryson
6th July, 2011, 10:33 PM
where abouts is advanced power management in windows m8..?? im running win7

C64
6th July, 2011, 10:36 PM
where abouts is advanced power management in windows m8..??

It's not, it's in your BIOS - unless you install the application that allows it to be changed from Windows.

As your machine is turning on, press the DELETE key and it should take you into your BIOS.

If your computer starts loading Windows then you must restart your computer and try again.

On some machines you might need to press F1 or some other key to enter your BIOS.

roryson
6th July, 2011, 10:38 PM
cheers bud

drawflex
6th July, 2011, 10:54 PM
It's not, it's in your BIOS - unless you install the application that allows it to be changed from Windows.

ummm.. i think you'll find it's in power management aswell... like i said :P

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3605583/Untitled.png

C64
6th July, 2011, 10:59 PM
ummm.. i think you'll find it's in power management :P

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3605583/Untitled.png

Hmm. I'm not sure exactly what that option does but it has absolutely no effect on my CPU speed.

Maybe because I have it disabled in BIOS.

drawflex
6th July, 2011, 11:03 PM
c+c needs to be on in bios and windows set to slow processor for it to work right

C64
6th July, 2011, 11:12 PM
er.. c'mon.. stop being a nob-head.

What's with the reply?

lol

I only told the guy to disable power management in his BIOS and now I'm a knob head.

Got to love the Internet.

drawflex
6th July, 2011, 11:14 PM
:D i read your post in the wrong tone... edited... cant really do tone-of-phrase on the internet eh ?

peace'n'ting

C64
6th July, 2011, 11:16 PM
:D i read your post in the wrong tone... edited... cant really do tone-of-phrase on the internet eh ?

peace'n'ting

Like I said mate, you've got to love the Internet. :)

:beer:

roryson
6th July, 2011, 11:55 PM
no Cool'n'Quiet in my bios people..

roryson
7th July, 2011, 12:02 AM
got that sorted in advanced power setting. got minimum processor state set to 95% will that wear my processor out..??

C64
7th July, 2011, 12:02 AM
no Cool'n'Quiet in my bios people..

It should be within another menu mate.

I think mine is buried somewhere in the CHIPSET menu, but it may be system dependant.

One question, have you tried the Windows solution offered by drawflex?

I know when I change mine it has no effect at all on CPU speed.

I'll reboot and post the path to my CnQ option.

C64
7th July, 2011, 12:04 AM
got that sorted in advanced power setting. got minimum processor state set to 95% will that wear my processor out..??

No not at all. What you are doing is telling your CPU to run slower than usual, this is great for the CPU as it means it will run cooler.

I have my CPU set to 30% and it makes no difference, my CPU is constantly reported as 3.2Ghz.

Setting the CPU to 95% is called 'underclocking', it's good for the CPU but it means that your machine will run slower than normal.

"Overclocking" is making your CPU run faster than it should, this is usually not a problem as long as you have extra cooling to remove the extra heat, this makes your computer run faster than normal.

roryson
7th July, 2011, 12:04 AM
tried the windows option m8 and got my processor running at full speed all the time now..

drawflex
7th July, 2011, 12:09 AM
its in advanced/cpu configuration matey.

Here's a link to a page hosting the user manual for that board... give it a read.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4N78 PRO (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M4N78_PRO/#download)

Just a tip : CoolnQuiet is a good thing and would recommend leaving it on, and set min to a value below 70%, unless you're tinkering about with other advanced speed settings. It keeps an eye on the workload of the CPU , and when it's not got any work on... CnC slows the speed of the CPU down because there's nothing for it to do.. otherwise it'd be wasting power and getting hot for nothing... like sitting in traffic with your foot flat-down on the accelerator pedal. When jobs come along for the processor, CnC speeds it back up to it's NORMAL rate ready to do what's needed... there is a tiny delay while the CPU ramps back up to full speed but i doubt you'd notice it at all... A much more efficient way of working and will make the CPU last longer... and save a few pennies on the leccy bill...

C64
7th July, 2011, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one confused lol

He has no BIOS settings but has the option in Windows. :)

I had jsut rebooted and took note of the path but drawflex beat me to it. :)

drawflex
7th July, 2011, 12:35 AM
I had jsut rebooted and took note of the path but drawflex beat me to it. :)

:D Teamwork