PDA

View Full Version : cars on veg oil

rangers71
24th April, 2008, 06:23 PM
i was reading the papers and heard on the news about being able to run your diesil car on veg oil and found this site whitch list what cars can but u need the correct injectors.http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/qswhichcars.html

a would apreciate a bit more info if any 1 has any cos if it works then a will run mine with it

jiggy
24th April, 2008, 07:13 PM
do not do it if you have a modern diesil you can do thousands of pounds worth of damage
what kind of car is it and what age ?

rangers71
24th April, 2008, 07:33 PM
peugeot 406 hdi x reg 200 model m8

smirnoff_rules
24th April, 2008, 07:58 PM
it clogs all the pipes and filters up m8 and ~~~~s the injectors after a bit to

rangers71
24th April, 2008, 08:00 PM
it clogs all the pipes and filters up m8 and ~~~~s the injectors after a bit to

thanks for the advice guys a think a will give it a miss then

jiggy
24th April, 2008, 10:03 PM
dont use it with that car it would kill the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors for sure a pump costs ?500 and the injectors are ?250 each x 4 just for the parts

Neil
24th April, 2008, 10:36 PM
My Xantia 1.9TD ( same as Pug 1.9TD engine) used to love veg oil. In summer when it was warm I used to poor it straight in. Those 3 litre bottles form Asda/Tesco fit straight in the filler. A couple of squeezes on the bottle and it is in. Used to run about 90% straight veg without any mods to the engine. It was a little slower top end on the motorway but was quieter and smoother at low revs.

smirnoff_rules
24th April, 2008, 10:38 PM
the 19 is a strong lump and runs on anything lol ..

bigguns247
25th April, 2008, 12:53 AM
You can run most diesels on vegetable oil except HDi ones, this is normally asperated diesel and TDi. In summer you can run your car on 100% pure but in the winter months, 75% diesel to 25% vegetable oil is recommended as it will solidify. Tip! buy some bio diesel one a month when you see some, you can get at some petrol pumps, keep the reciept's in the car, if the fuzz ever pull you and do a fuel test actually looking for red they will question why your not running on diesel, inform them that you purchase bio diesel for your car.
don't tell them you use cooking oil unless you inform customs and excise and pay the 28p per litre tax. You have to be registered and pay monthly so don't blag it and say you do as they will check, but evidence of buying bio diesel and they can do f all!!! Pros of running on cooking oil, I've never known motoring so cheap, buy 20litre drums from Costco for around ?11.50, it gives the same range and power.
Neg of running on veg oil is the smell out of the exhaust, having to transfer 20litres to 5litre containers to pour into the car.
Cars that I have ran with veg oil are 1.4 renault clio diesel, peugeot 1.4 diesel,, peugeot 306 Dturbo and golf MK 4 TDi without any probs, driven hundreds of miles in a day on the stuff, if your car is suitable to it, do it, I wish I had done this years ago.

Tizzer22
27th April, 2008, 09:28 AM
Punto 1.9 JTD can run on reg oil, have to chane the fuel filter though every 6 months.

caveman_nige
1st May, 2008, 12:46 PM
Loads of my mates at work run there cars on veg oil without any converstions at all, they say the french cars a fine if not the best of the lot for doing it, although on guy runs a sodding great Shogun on it, smells like a doughnut van sometimes but who cares. If i had a diesel I would run it on veg oil. I am just stuck with my petrol lump until it blows up..

Donnie Darko
2nd May, 2008, 09:45 AM
Supposedly works best with cars that have a Bosch pump.

janobi
4th May, 2008, 10:17 AM
My mate done it for about a year with a citreon xantia. Cooking oil from Tescos, pure, not even mixed with diesel. Used to run better than when on diesel, but stunk like a chip shop. His car was old, so he didnt care if it was wrecked because of it, but personally I wouldnt do it on a new car.

Bertie
1st June, 2008, 11:36 AM
My rover 45 runs on vegetable oil. Does require fiter changing more often and i steered clear of using it in the cold months as i didn't want the embarassment of going to the garage cos my car had clogged up. Yey, Rover

wiiman
1st June, 2008, 01:37 PM
Would my 53 zafira 2.0 dti run ok on veg oil? wouldn't want to kill my car!

smirnoff_rules
1st June, 2008, 01:53 PM
IF U LIKE THE CAR U DRIVE THEN NEVER USE IT M8 .. ITS FOR OLD SHIT HEAPS

Jocky666
1st June, 2008, 02:26 PM
IF U LIKE THE CAR U DRIVE THEN NEVER USE IT M8 .. ITS FOR OLD SHIT HEAPS

I went to Carlisle specifically to get a 1.9 td xantia for the purposes of running on veg!! cost me ?1000 R reg genuine 28k on the clock!!!! Old dude 80 yrs old had it from new!!
Works a treat on bio but never tried straight veg as found a bio vendor...
Will try the oil from costco and let you know..
I have some e-books on bio diesel kaming your own etc. and i seem to remember that straight veg oil runs better if diluted with 10% white spirits and Waste veg oil with 3% once filtered that way there is no need for a 500? fuel heater conversion!!

Jocky:goodpost:

blacklisted
5th June, 2008, 01:28 AM
Supposedly works best with cars that have a Bosch pump.

yep the one with the bosch pumps works the best ie

can go stright veh oil

the lucas need a twin tank system fitted

some bmw will need a new heavy lift pump fitted they work great with the ones the dirt bikes use

the best is bio diesel made properly filtered down to few micron will do the trick great

jimbo69jones
5th June, 2008, 01:16 PM
It can't be that difficult to make a Bio-Diesel unit. The price they charge is very high considering the very few components that make the unit up. Maybe we should put our heads together and make a DK one :)

rickets
16th June, 2008, 09:20 AM
I am v interested in making bio-diesel from waste oils. Sunday times pointed to these guys yesterday http://www.hxxp://www.greenfuels.co.uk/Info/info-help.aspx.

Presumably this is far better than straight veg oil and can be used in any standard diesel ?

Meanwhile got this recently - dunno if old news

Tips on Filling your Vehicles...
This is a Message received from a friend:
I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.
Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.
ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 1 of 2
WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,
Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 2 of 2
middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET?S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.

frankharrison
28th June, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I've run a Synergie on a mixture of cooking oil and a small amount of diesel for ages now.

Have you all noticed veg oil has gone up to almost the same as diesel.

It has where I live!

gooddeed
28th June, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hi,

I've run a Synergie on a mixture of cooking oil and a small amount of diesel for ages now.

Have you all noticed veg oil has gone up to almost the same as diesel.

It has where I live!

Veg oil Costs a fortune round our way out the supermarkets here as well.

Worth it if you can get a costco card though, got a friend running a 1.9 van on around 86p a litre.