PDA

View Full Version : VM router as a ethernet switch or hub?

scotcruz
9th July, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hi guys, wanted other members advice on networking..

My current setup is Ambit Modem in Bedroom + D-Link DIR615 router both from VM.

I want to take the internet connection to the living room, for the playstation which I have done with Comtrend powerline adaptors. Now that I have bought a new Samsung Tele which has apps you can browse over the net and therefore wish to split the internet from the comtrend adaptor in the living room.

My initial thoughts are to get a ethernet switch/hub and put it in the living room but not sure if it will work as there is a wireless router already in the bedroom.

I also have the old netgear wirless router from VM. so other option is to use it as a switch/hub but not sure..

will two wireless routers cause any problems in the network? will I able to disable the wireless thing on one router and use it as a switch?

in the current setup, what could be the best option for me.. please advise

Many thanks

scotcruz
10th July, 2011, 08:31 AM
Any suggestions anyone???

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

scotcruz
15th July, 2011, 10:17 PM
anyone guys??? need help with this :(

Egren71
15th July, 2011, 11:40 PM
Not my strongest area of expertise but since you have had no other replys i will give you my two pence worth.
You should be able to use the netgear router one way or another to split the network connection from your powerline adaptor either by plugging it into the powerline adaptor and using it as a hub or by using it instead of the powerline adaptor.

To use the netgear router as a hub you would need to go into the configuration of the netgear router and turn off or disable anything to do with DSl if you are on virgin Cable or ADSL if you are on Virgin on BT lines as you won't be needing it. You don't have to turn it off you could just ignore it but for being tidy turn it off.
What you will neet to turn off is the DHCP function of the netgear Router otherwise you will have two DHCP servers on you network and that will cause you problems.
And since the netgear router won't take a DHCP address you will nedd to assign it one as by default it probably has either the same IP address as the D-Link router or one on a completely different range which means it wont talk.
The address you will need to assign the netgear router is one from the range that the D-Link router's DHCP server is supplying. What i suggest is pick an IP address from the top end of the range and reserve it in the D-Link router so it can't be assigned to anything else.
Then all you should need to do is plug the Playstation, the Powerline adapter and the TV into the 4 Lan ports on the router and it should work. Don't use the DSL or ASDL connector as it won't work and might cause you problems.

Alternatively if the Netgear Router supports Bridging Mode you can do away with the powerline adapter and and connect the Netgear router to the D-Link router by the two routers WiFi then use all 4 ports on the Netgear router for whatever you want. It is my understanding however that the software on the virgin routers are limited and don't allow bridging mode. You would need to check the model of your netgear router to see if it is supposed to support Bridging mode and then your router to see if virgin have turned that feature off.

Hope this is of some help

Kalipo
16th July, 2011, 01:25 PM
Why not just buy an homeplug..

scotcruz
17th July, 2011, 01:08 PM
Not my strongest area of expertise but since you have had no other replys i will give you my two pence worth.
You should be able to use the netgear router one way or another to split the network connection from your powerline adaptor either by plugging it into the powerline adaptor and using it as a hub or by using it instead of the powerline adaptor.

To use the netgear router as a hub you would need to go into the configuration of the netgear router and turn off or disable anything to do with DSl if you are on virgin Cable or ADSL if you are on Virgin on BT lines as you won't be needing it. You don't have to turn it off you could just ignore it but for being tidy turn it off.
What you will neet to turn off is the DHCP function of the netgear Router otherwise you will have two DHCP servers on you network and that will cause you problems.
And since the netgear router won't take a DHCP address you will nedd to assign it one as by default it probably has either the same IP address as the D-Link router or one on a completely different range which means it wont talk.
The address you will need to assign the netgear router is one from the range that the D-Link router's DHCP server is supplying. What i suggest is pick an IP address from the top end of the range and reserve it in the D-Link router so it can't be assigned to anything else.
Then all you should need to do is plug the Playstation, the Powerline adapter and the TV into the 4 Lan ports on the router and it should work. Don't use the DSL or ASDL connector as it won't work and might cause you problems.

Alternatively if the Netgear Router supports Bridging Mode you can do away with the powerline adapter and and connect the Netgear router to the D-Link router by the two routers WiFi then use all 4 ports on the Netgear router for whatever you want. It is my understanding however that the software on the virgin routers are limited and don't allow bridging mode. You would need to check the model of your netgear router to see if it is supposed to support Bridging mode and then your router to see if virgin have turned that feature off.

Hope this is of some help

mate, you are an absolute star... really appreciate your help..

I managed to disable DHCP on the other router and holla.. it works like a ethernet switch or hub..

really chuffed..

cheers mate

xNand
9th August, 2011, 12:26 AM
Why not just buy an homeplug..
As mentioned in the post, a power line is the same thing as an home plug.