PDA

View Full Version : western digital ext/hard drive probs

blueice14
20th December, 2008, 10:34 PM
I bought an external hard drive (western digital essential edition) a few months ago and manged to successfully transfer loads of files over from my laptop onto it. Now when i plug it in I cant seem to even locate the drive letter on my computer etc - ive searched loads of sites and tried loads of system setting adjustments and still nothing.
The western digital site in terms of help and support really sucks !!
The external drive doesnt seem to turn on or owt anymore.
If anyone can help then much appreciated - other than that id advise anyone to steer clear of this particular model.:(:(

caveman_nige
20th December, 2008, 10:37 PM
can you test it on a different pc or laptop? If it is still not working then you will need to send it back for a refund..

blueice14
20th December, 2008, 10:52 PM
yeah im gonna try testing at work on monday - problem is its from pc world and now about 3 months old so out of warranty - and on top of that the drive contains data files of films, games etc. so i dont want one of their geeks to see all the downloaded films lol

im 90% sure the drives all messed up as the dam thing doent boot up with the usual light on the front when powered up - oh well not to worry too much guess i'll have to buy another one (western digital a definate no no)

caveman_nige
20th December, 2008, 11:00 PM
3 months.... ingore that quote the sale of goods act see here Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts - BERR (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html)

refer to them to the third part abou the good being fit for pupose... 3months of usage is crap and therefore they owe you a new one... if you do not get satisfaction ask to speak their manager and keep going up, then start talking about trading standards and BBc watchdog and all the places on ther internet you will teel you story and give them bad press.. don't bend over and take it, stand up and fight them. i have taken a tv back after 5 years when it failed, dixons had to replace it with a new tv. took a lot of letters but when i quoted the law they were done for and relented..