PDA

View Full Version : Linux...............

wetdog
16th July, 2011, 08:30 PM
.......following the advice of shadyback, i moved from XP pro to Ubuntu. and to be honest i really like it.
i had a few teething problems at first, but following help from Egren and Shady, i soon had it sorted.

if you have a computer that is a little aged and running a little slow, or just fancy a change. try Ubuntu, you will not be dissapointed.

thanks guys,

mick.

themegakiddy
16th July, 2011, 08:32 PM
:-) if people only had the bottle to try it

wetdog
16th July, 2011, 08:37 PM
:-) if people only had the bottle to try it

i'm hoping this thread will help a few folk to give it a whirl.

run it from CD guys, or do a duel boot. its definatly worth it.

also lets not forget, Ubuntu is Dr Sheldon Coopers favourite Linux based operating system.

mick.

drawflex
17th July, 2011, 07:46 PM
+1 on ubuntu, perfect choice for linux virgins. would advise to give it its own hard-drive though if poss... keep it totaly independant from windows.

spondulick
17th July, 2011, 10:38 PM
also linux mint very user friendly,and quicker than windows.ubunto also good.

Shady
18th July, 2011, 12:23 AM
also lets not forget, Ubuntu is Dr Sheldon Coopers favourite Linux based operating system.

mick.
big bang geek ;) fancy a game of rock paper scissors lizard spock? lol

Rick21
19th July, 2011, 12:13 AM
UBUNTU is simply BRILLIANT.

Swapped from XP in 2008 after once again loosing all my data and files to another Windows Crash!. Like others have said, I was a bit tentative at first, but a UBUNTU LIVE CD helped me to recover some of my lost data, I then installed it and never looked back. Now on version 10.10, don't particularly like the "unity" desktop in the latest 11.04 release, but this can be disabled at login. Ubuntu 10.10 is my main operating system and is used daily for both Work & Pleasure. I have tried Vista & Win 7 and can honestly say for me there is no competition. My teens also use Ubuntu at home, and have experience of windows on a daily basis at school - they also prefer Ubuntu.

For me, the main bugbears of Windows are heavy disk usage (caching, daily virus scans, journalling etc) and the need for constant vigilance against viruses, malware & other nasties etc. All requiring other programs running to keep the thing safe and reasonably usable. It's a self-depricating cycle, and no wonder my hard drives kept giving up. Linux works completely differently, and thanks to the many thousands of dedicated updaters, viruses and security vulnerbilities are virtually non-existant. It's no wonder the majority of internet servers run Linux!!! The main issue I've come to realise is that the majority of PC users have never experienced anything other than windows from the start, so such a change is frightening.

Also a great fan of UNETBOOTIN. Lets you try loads of other Linux Distributions by booting from a USB stick - no need to install to HDD. However, please note that not all usb drives / sticks / pens are bootable, it's often a case of trial and error. I have spent may tens of hours trying various other distributions, and believe it or not, some USB sticks will boot with some Linux versions, and others will not. The only one I've got to successfully boot with ALL distro's is a Sandisk Cruzer.

One last point - if nothing else, I would recommend all PC users try XPUD from a USB stick. it's lightining fast and just shows what's possible with Linux. Boots in around 5 to 10 seconds !!! It's a great little operating system to carry round on a USB stick, and can be a godsend if your main OS crashes.

Sorry for the long post

Be adventurous and give Linux a go :wink:

wetdog
19th July, 2011, 08:58 PM
great post there from rik21, it really is that good and simple folks.

yes shady, i am a Big Bang Theaory geek, the show is hilariuos. the script and the acting is fantastic. one of the funniest shows i have seen in a long time.

mick.

Shady
19th July, 2011, 10:33 PM
yes shady, i am a Big Bang Theaory geek, the show is hilariuos. the script and the acting is fantastic. one of the funniest shows i have seen in a long time.

mick.

too true mate..new season in september ;)

wetdog
20th July, 2011, 09:34 AM
magnificent!!!

lagerland
20th July, 2011, 06:05 PM
Which version do i go lads coz theres a few x32 x64 x86 thanks in advance..................

Shady
20th July, 2011, 06:06 PM
what processor you got?
if its a 64bit cpu, get the 64 bit version,
if its not then get the x86

markybhoy007
23rd July, 2011, 03:02 PM
A friend of mine was at me for maybe 10 years to make the change from microshite to linux, been using Ubuntu for nearly a year now, once you get your head round it its easier than windows, got to admit though, got a small 20gb partition on the hard drive for xp just in case summat cant be done on linux (which is very rare!) the good thing is when you install linux it gives you the option to try before you completely wipe M$ from your comp!!!!

keymaster
25th July, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hi
I prefer MINT also, sorry all you ubuntu guys
Key

wetdog
25th July, 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi
I prefer MINT also, sorry all you ubuntu guys
Key

no worries dude, the thread is about trying to get folk to try Linux, im not bothered which one they use, Ubuntu, Mint, its all the same to me. just free yourself of Microsoft.

mick.

Rick21
25th July, 2011, 11:41 PM
Wetdog - spot on!!. I also encourage people to try different "versions" of Linux, as people have different preferences. By "Versions", I mean "Distributions" - to the newcomer it can seem a bit daunting as there's over 100 different versions to try, but you soon realise that the different distributions/versions are more like varying user interfaces with their own unique querks and features. The heart of the O.S. is the Linux Kernel which is pretty much universal.

Like someone else said, I would promote Ubuntu as the first one to try, since it is very friendly for windows users. Mint is a variant of Ubuntu/Debian with it's own features, Puppy is a fantastic distro for old PC's as it runs totally in memory and is lightening fast even on VERY old hardware.

Finally XPUD must be tried to be believed !!!!!

I've tried many, and will stick with 'buntu for now, but it's definitely a case of each to their own.

Good Luck. :ciao:

martij976
26th July, 2011, 04:27 AM
My op.
As an normal user of win. have really good experience with Parted Magic from UBCD, which is Linux-based os.
Really nice adapter, helped with cloning win hdds and fix up an older win server.
Nice work!

xzaq
12th September, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hi
I prefer MINT

mitchellp86
21st September, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hi
I prefer MINT

Mint or PCLinuxOS for newbies.

Arch is my favorite though.

garry1312
29th September, 2011, 05:36 PM
Right guys considering going Linux, never even used it before but may give it a try on my computer which is running XP.

What im most concerned about is not being able to control my Dreambox so questions

Can Dreambox control centre used on it?

Can DreamboxEdit be used on it?

I currently flash my receivers with Internet explorer, what way would it be done on a Linux Operating system?

Shady
29th September, 2011, 05:38 PM
dont think it can which is funny considering dm is a linux machine. suppose uyou can use wine, which is the linux windows emulator. or dualboot between win and linux

garry1312
29th September, 2011, 05:43 PM
See I was wondering if they would be daft questions as the receivers are Linux.

So how would the dual boot work?

Shady
29th September, 2011, 05:46 PM
You should have some free space on your hdd, read here on how to partition it.
Create and format a hard disk partition (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition)
this essentially splits one hard drive into 2, you can then install linux to your newly created partition leaving windows intact
then whenever you start up pc, you will have the option of which os to use.

garry1312
29th September, 2011, 05:49 PM
lol I already have the option between 2 XP's lol. Disk drive is ~~~~ed but so cant install it.

Can I install Linux without a disc?

Shady
29th September, 2011, 05:50 PM
yep can create a bootable usb stick from the iso

garry1312
29th September, 2011, 05:55 PM
And any tips on how to do that lol

Shady
29th September, 2011, 05:56 PM
~~~~ing hell, are u wetdog in disguise? lol
Download | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download)
go to number 2 and click on 'show me how' button

Eight
29th September, 2011, 06:00 PM
Using ubuntu since 6.xx version, has a lot of potential and great open source tools for electrical engineering study.
Netbeans is great for programming and for electrical circuits qucs rocks.

BR

trippleface
5th October, 2011, 04:09 PM
This is great! a new soul has converted to Linux!

There is a lot of customization you can do to your linux as well =)

garry1312
7th October, 2011, 09:49 AM
Trying out Linux today looking forward to it. May have questions along the way.