PDA

View Full Version : DreamUP -

Motorsat
21st December, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hello, I have just picked up a DM500+. Trying to flash a new image with Universal DreamUp v1.3.3.4 but an error message says 'Unable to open COM-Port, Aborting'.

I have already successfully set up my Communications, and tested the connection by pinging. Any help would be much appreciated.

Devilfish
21st December, 2008, 12:03 AM
You need a null modem cable to use Dreamup. It connects to the com port on your PC and to the com port on the dreambox, ethernet is not used.

Motorsat
21st December, 2008, 12:06 AM
Thankyou for the quick reply.

Unfortunately my VAIO does not have a serial port, therefore I must use the Ethernet method. Any idea why this message is displayed and how to work around it?

opsmonkey
21st December, 2008, 12:09 AM
you need to buy a rs232 to usb converter..

just type rs232 to usb into ebay :)

Dreamup will not work with ethernet connection, has to be direct connection

Devilfish
21st December, 2008, 12:40 AM
even if you have a usb to serial adapter, you still need the null modem cable to go between the adapter and the box.

opsmonkey
21st December, 2008, 12:44 AM
i thought he would have known that bit lol..

try this mate..

Null Modem with USB Adapter (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/cablestar/items/item.aspx?itemid=4786653&source=googlebase)

Motorsat
22nd December, 2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks all for your advice. I will order a Null Modem with USB Adapter as kindly recommended by opsmonkey. It will probably be in the New Year when it arrives.

In the meantime I have persevered with the trying to find what caused the message 'Unable to open COM-Port, Aborting' when I start DreamUp. I discovered that removing the 'Fax Services' in Windows Component Wizard under Control Panel sorted this problem out. The Fax Services component was using the COM Port.

I am now able to launch DreamUp and connect to my DM500+ but it just says 'Connection prepared, now switch on the dreambox!' I have waited 20mins but nothing happens, the message is just displayed.

I am connected from my laptop to router and then router to DM500+. The connection is definately there now, but stalling at this point. I have ensured the Dreambox was unplugged before launching DreamUP, no other cables are connected to the Dreambox (just the ethernet cable), then I put the power lead in and nothing happens.

Questions are then:-
a) Is it possible to flash and image (Pli Jade) onto the DM500+ using ethernet?
b) Must I ONLY ever use the serial null modem method?
c) If b) is true, why is there a 'Use Network' option on DreamUP?

Thanks,

opsmonkey
22nd December, 2008, 11:23 PM
for DreamUP you must use Null Modem cable.. its the easiest way to use DreamUP

for other progs like DCC, CCcam CC and CCcam InfoPHP you can use connection via ethernet or via wireless through router..

for instance i connect to my dreambox via my laptop wirelessly through my router..

Motorsat
22nd December, 2008, 11:49 PM
OK thanks for clarifying that. This means I will have to wait a few days until the Null Modem with USB Adapter arrives and then I can try flashing a new image.

I also want to access my dreambox wirelessly from my laptop - I have ordered a Linksys WET54G Wireless Bridge to connect to the Dreambox downstairs, which will (hopefully) communicate with the wireless router (Linksys WAG200G) upstairs. If I have problems with that I guess I should start a new thread on here. In the meantime if you have any recommendations on the best Keys to use with CCcam that would be most appreciated.

westkill
22nd December, 2008, 11:54 PM
it is possibly to use dreamup with null modem cable and ethernet /crossover
i flashed my dm7025 this with both usally when just null modem i got speed 16kb/s with both leads i had about 1000 kb/s or some thing never seen dreamup move so fast lol

opsmonkey
23rd December, 2008, 12:15 AM
OK thanks for clarifying that. This means I will have to wait a few days until the Null Modem with USB Adapter arrives and then I can try flashing a new image.

I also want to access my dreambox wirelessly from my laptop - I have ordered a Linksys WET54G Wireless Bridge to connect to the Dreambox downstairs, which will (hopefully) communicate with the wireless router (Linksys WAG200G) upstairs. If I have problems with that I guess I should start a new thread on here. In the meantime if you have any recommendations on the best Keys to use with CCcam that would be most appreciated.

download and extract this

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/mydreambox-keyupdater-v3a-20439/

Motorsat
23rd December, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the link. The _pli.zip file seems to be empty. It downloads as a 1kb file, even after so many attempts. Any alternative locations of these keys? Also, are there any guides to what Keys work with what channels?

opsmonkey
23rd December, 2008, 01:50 AM
ahh ur using the pli image.. im not sure if that works.. a few others have reported that too.. im on gemini 4.2

very few channels of any worth open with keys anymore.. in the past 7 months many providers have moved over to unhacked encryption..

what type of channels are you after..?

try this..

shaheduk1
23rd December, 2008, 02:48 AM
dreambox 500c new image ?

opsmonkey
23rd December, 2008, 03:15 AM
dreambox 500c new image ?

this is the dreambox sat section...!

Motorsat
23rd December, 2008, 02:41 PM
ahh ur using the pli image.. im not sure if that works.. a few others have reported that too.. im on gemini 4.2

very few channels of any worth open with keys anymore.. in the past 7 months many providers have moved over to unhacked encryption..

what type of channels are you after..?

try this..

It seems this zip file is also corrupt - unable to extract any files.
I would like to access the Discovery, History and all Movie channels. And Hispasat 30W. Not too fussed about Sport though.

What are the pros & cons between Gemini 4.2 and PLi Jade?

I might be pursuing the wrong route if I use only PLi and CCcam and Keys. Not interested in cardshr (yet). Where does this leave me?

opsmonkey
23rd December, 2008, 10:19 PM
its not corrupt mate i just downloaded to check, unziped with win rar its below:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk313/cpw1978/winrar.jpg

same with the other links.. what prog are you unziping with..?

As for keys.. what channels do you hope to watch..? Keys open very little channels of worth these days

Motorsat
23rd December, 2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks opsmonkey, I have opened it with WinRAR. Its a very small file size (1kb) thats why I previously thought it hadn't downloaded anything. Bear with me I am learning all the time.

In terms of channels, I would like to watch Discovery, History and the movie channels to start with (all on 28E). I will be setting up my motorised dish over the holls so will also want to watch alternative entertainment on Hispasat 30W. I just want to experiment a little at a time, all purley for educational purposes. I'm not into card sharing.

Based on the channels I want, is there a particular Image I should use? I know Gemini is very popular but is that becuase its suited to certain functionalities like streaming or sharing? Maybe it would be best if I use Pli Jade, but honestly I don't know what to consider when deciding which image is good for what. I have some time to decide because I am waiting for the null modem serial to usb adapter to arrive, the one you recommended.

I do need educating about keys. Is there are guide available that explains what keys open what channels? From what you are telling me it seems this is an outdated way to watch channels. What are SatansKey Bundles - is that a bunch of keys that opens many channels?

If you can point me to a link or guide on what keys do what, that would be appreciated.
Thank you for your help again.

ab339
30th November, 2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks Alot