PDA

View Full Version : Stopping apps running in background

lee_hdi
17th July, 2011, 12:16 AM
How do you stop apps running in the background?

Whenever I look to see what apps are running, theres always ones that I haven't even loaded up, and they all aid battery drain.

How do I stop them booting up?

Thanks

andy1weir
17th July, 2011, 08:59 AM
if your device is rooted, you can download and install tatanium backup, that allows you to freeze apps and delete apps that come preinstalled on the phone, so you could delete all the crap that the network install

xant14
17th July, 2011, 09:03 AM
Or Advanced task killer if your phone aint rooted, available on the market.

happy_highlander
17th July, 2011, 09:14 AM

If phone is on gingerbread 2.3.3 there is a very good chance advanced task killer will trigger the the gingerbread battery drain bug it is a known app that can set it off

lee_hdi
17th July, 2011, 12:10 PM

Yeah I have advanced task killer, but when you kill apps, they just fire back up again.

Shit its just updated to gingerbread 2.3.3 yesterday :-(

happy_highlander
17th July, 2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah I have advanced task killer, but when you kill apps, they just fire back up again.

Shit its just updated to gingerbread 2.3.3 yesterday :-(

Not to worry what you need to look out for with battery drain bug is android os over 30 to 40% quick fix is turn phone off till it vibrates then turn it back on. That will stop the drain but it will take a while for the percentage to drop

xant14
17th July, 2011, 08:50 PM
2.3.3 ?
what phones and what networks are you on? still 2.2 here with Desire and T-Mobile.

As regards task killer, there are people and sites that dont like it... they reckon some programs don't like being shut down dead.
So make your own mind up.

lee_hdi
18th July, 2011, 11:27 PM
Xperia ARC on Vodafone

MooFrog987
18th July, 2011, 11:38 PM
thanks guys

happy_highlander
21st July, 2011, 07:43 PM
2.3.3 ?
what phones and what networks are you on? still 2.2 here with Desire and T-Mobile.

As regards task killer, there are people and sites that dont like it... they reckon some programs don't like being shut down dead.
So make your own mind up.

Galaxy s with talkmobile using vodafone network running darky's 10.1 extreme with a voodoo kernel on a 2.3.3 base from ficeto, now 10.2 on a GB 2.3.4

garry1312
27th July, 2011, 08:56 AM
The Arc was released with Gingerbread :/ I have the same phone.

lee_hdi
27th July, 2011, 10:44 PM
Mine updated to it :/

paj
18th August, 2011, 12:39 AM
As a developer, I think that in almost all cases, the task killers are absolutely unnecessary, knowing how Android manages the system resources. The operator preinstalled crapware that maybe runs in the background is only removable trough root anyway.

jakimamo
6th September, 2011, 09:37 AM
I use Taskpanel, I like the fact that you can kill all normal tasks once or you can have a killer list where youset which apps to be added as normal task.

Canker_Canison
6th September, 2011, 03:03 PM
The operator preinstalled crapware that maybe runs in the background is only removable trough root anyway.

If it's a Samsung handset it's very easy to flash generic software to the phone. Leaving you with a phone the way Samsung wanted it. No more network bloatware.

matmanlives
6th September, 2011, 03:39 PM
my sister in law just updated to "gingerbread" what does this mean?

happy_highlander
6th September, 2011, 05:42 PM
my sister in law just updated to "gingerbread" what does this mean?

Gingerbread is the name of the 2.3 series operating system