PDA

View Full Version : 1.2m dish compared to 1m

awoods2
17th July, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hi All, I currently have a 1m dish with technomate 6900hd super receiver and am based in the east midlands. I cant currently receive Nilesat and so was thinking of upgrading to a 1.2m dish to see what additional channels I can pull in. Nilesat isnt my only hope but I was wondering does the jump from 1m to 1.2m make much difference. Realistically will I gain much more across the satellite arc from moving from 1m to 1.2, if so what so what? Is 1.2m the biggest I can bolt onto a wall?

I appreciate your advice.

Thank you

mark8393
18th July, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hi All, I currently have a 1m dish with technomate 6900hd super receiver and am based in the east midlands. I cant currently receive Nilesat and so was thinking of upgrading to a 1.2m dish to see what additional channels I can pull in. Nilesat isnt my only hope but I was wondering does the jump from 1m to 1.2m make much difference. Realistically will I gain much more across the satellite arc from moving from 1m to 1.2, if so what so what? Is 1.2m the biggest I can bolt onto a wall?

Thank you

dont think you will get much more, but you will need to get permission to get a dish that size put up, or say ~~~~ it and see if you get away with it.

kaisar1
18th July, 2011, 01:41 AM
Upgrade your lnb. Inverto ultra black lnb supposedly is the best.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

notluckyuk
18th July, 2011, 07:38 AM
also check your motor, the extra weight can be a problem.. most motors are made to a max of 1m.

kegnkiwi
18th July, 2011, 08:29 AM
It will make a big difference, i have a motorised 1m funke dish installed up in west yorkshire and on the odd occasion I could get a sniff of nilesat, but I now have a 1.25 faval dish on a patio mount with a inverto black ultra lnb. and I can get 201 services from nilesat. I can get a signal of the strongest transponder all day with just a bit of glitching between 3-5pm. Then they all start getting stronger again for the evening.

nathan2007
18th July, 2011, 09:24 AM
i had a 80 cm and upgraded to a 1.2m triax style and receive a lot more channels and obv a lot higher signal it does depends on where u are in the country tho

blueflash234
18th July, 2011, 10:01 AM
and if you go for a 1.2m dish get a good one like a gibertini, i beleive its like having a 1.5m dish very good gain and a black ultra lnb,i have a 90 cm fibo gregorian dish which is like a 1.2m dish for gain and dont get that much more and am near coventry

excollier
18th July, 2011, 06:10 PM
Bigggest Triax do is a "1.1m" but it's slightly smaller than that.
A proper 1.2m dish beside the Triax 1.1m looks a lot bigger.

fac51
18th July, 2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone know how them triax 1.1 dishes perform as I've got one in the shed waiting for a sunny weekend to be installed as I'm sure the arm on my 1 metre dish up now is sagging and does not receiving all reflected signal.

mdt
18th July, 2011, 07:59 PM
ive just ordered a 1.2 gibertini yesterday to go with my vu+duo but im sceptical as to how much more gain i will get from it but as they say "bigger is better".. as for the 1.2 gibby behaving like a 1.5m normal dish it doesnt its just more efficient at gathering signal and not noise. there used to be a 1.2m prime focus dish called the referance dish back in the day that made similar claims but again its just that its very good at doing what its supposed to.. eg. say a cheap iss 1m dish works at 70% then a gibby or andrews would work at 80%. i have a triax 1.1m dish but dont get a sniff of nilesat@7w were i am. regards mdt

SteveCrossX
18th July, 2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you

Generally speaking you need planning permission for dishes over 1m, but you do have a legal right to have a satellite dish to pick up channels from across the EU. Just type "EU law satellite dish" (without quotes) into a search engine. I was harassed and told where I could and couldn't live just for wanting any satellite dish at all. This was by "conservationists" in their "lovely old buildings". This resulted in me staying 5 years in a flat where I was harassed about loads of things apart from having a satellite dish, then eventually I was evicted and didn't even have my own place for some time, let alone a satellite dish. Now I say f*** 'em! However, if you want this dish for some channels on Nilesat which are outside the EU, then this law may not apply. I'm now planning to install a dish by myself due to lack of funds, after failing to remove my lovely Visiosat Trisat from the roof of my old building. My ambition is to install some dishes larger than 1 metre in the middle of these dreaded conservation areas, hopefully in some roads where I viewed flats with satellite dish bans, or a road I actually lived in then see what these bastards can do about it! :)

blueflash234
18th July, 2011, 10:07 PM
mdt, you explained it much better than me yes the gibertini is much more efficient with the signal, my Gregorian 90 cm is very efficient. on thor 1w bbc world agr 99% snr 94% so i think its worth paying for quality with a dish and lnb

cluelessblond
19th July, 2011, 08:57 AM
Upgrade your lnb. Inverto ultra black lnb supposedly is the best.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Does the Lnb make a difference to the frequency quality?

Shady
19th July, 2011, 09:11 AM
in theory, yes. dish pulls in the signal and rebounds it onto the lnb. higher quality lnb=better quality signal.
In practice i have found lnbs to be much of a muchness, you can spend ?10 on a cheap one and have just as good a signal as with a ?60 lnb..

B2K420
14th July, 2012, 04:27 PM
ive just ordered a 1.2 gibertini yesterday to go with my vu+duo but im sceptical as to how much more gain i will get from it but as they say "bigger is better".. as for the 1.2 gibby behaving like a 1.5m normal dish it doesnt its just more efficient at gathering signal and not noise. there used to be a 1.2m prime focus dish called the referance dish back in the day that made similar claims but again its just that its very good at doing what its supposed to.. eg. say a cheap iss 1m dish works at 70% then a gibby or andrews would work at 80%. i have a triax 1.1m dish but dont get a sniff of nilesat@7w were i am. regards mdt

Have you installed 1.2 gibertini, are you getting AD sports channels, is it motorized, how much SNR% you are getting for TV2 PL1 HD, 2, 3 (Norway) at 0.8w (Thor 5/6)?
:devil:

mdt
14th July, 2012, 04:58 PM
Have you installed 1.2 gibertini, are you getting AD sports channels, is it motorized, how much SNR% you are getting for TV2 PL1 HD, 2, 3 (Norway) at 0.8w (Thor 5/6)?
:devil:

forget ad sports on 26e as they require jodrell bank to recieve... using a motorised vu+uno on a inverto black pro lnb with matched feedhorn i get 80-84% snr. regards mdt

dp11
14th July, 2012, 05:20 PM
For AD you need at least 2.4m, TV2 PL1,2,3 HD, are receivable on a 80cm

B2K420
14th July, 2012, 05:27 PM
mdt: I would love to get a 1.2 gibertini I have TD110 I am not sure how big it will look on the wall i.e. will I get away with it?
If your is mounted on the wall is there any chance you can send me a pic (I wanted to see how big it looks if you are looking at it from close by)?
http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4575.gif

dp11:
On my 1.1m dish I have 4.8e on main focus and 0.8w on offset and I get 56% SNR on TV2 PL1,2,3 HD. The picture breaks up then goes to a blank screen that is why I am thinking to go motorized or get 1.2m dish.
http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1567.gif

mdt
14th July, 2012, 08:58 PM
mdt: I would love to get a 1.2 gibertini I have TD110 I am not sure how big it will look on the wall i.e. will I get away with it?
If your is mounted on the wall is there any chance you can send me a pic (I wanted to see how big it looks if you are looking at it from close by)?
http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4575.gif

dp11:
On my 1.1m dish I have 4.8e on main focus and 0.8w on offset and I get 56% SNR on TV2 PL1,2,3 HD. The picture breaks up then goes to a blank screen that is why I am thinking to go motorized or get 1.2m dish.
http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_1567.gif

were are you based as ive got a used 1.25 gibby for sale? ill take a photo for you of my main dish now and upload it. regards mdt

edit.. you cant see mine from the road but take it from me m8 there massive (i keep tripping over the spare in the hallway lol)