PDA

View Full Version : Leeds sack Gary Mac

Burlo
21st December, 2008, 03:33 PM
Anyone surprised or upset?

OK so Leeds had a bad losing streak, but is anyone going to do much better without spending some money on decent players?

bugaloo41
21st December, 2008, 09:38 PM
Great player McAllister but poisoned chalice of a job as manager.

As you say without dough unlikely that anyone will improve the Leeds team.

Raven
21st December, 2008, 10:30 PM
Personally I think the sacking was abit harsh and highly unfair to Gary Macallister......considering that it's no coincidence that all the games we have lost this last month have all been games that Jermaine Beckford has missed out on due to injury....before that we were generally winning games......our defense has been soft for ages....so that needs sorting in January anyway.....so I don't see what greater cause sacking Gary really serves on the eve of Christmas and January transfer window aswell.....I have to say I really didn't see this one coming because the fans haven't been on his back at all either, and it's because they know we have been losing games because we depend on Beckford to keep the team ticking but he has been injured this last month or so....but on the other hand, we do have a big squad that Gary has had a hand in assembling and basically what's been proven is that our squad players just aren't good enough.

Considering how out of the blue the sacking has come it makes you wonder if there are any ulterior motives at force here....Fabian Delph and Jermaine Beckford are our star players, both now and for the future.....apparently if you buy what you read in The Sun newspaper Delph to Man United in January is a done deal....makes you wonder if a Premiership club had a bid accepted for Beckford (moneyman Bates) and Gary might possibly have said the wrong thing to Bates because of it and been sacked for it ?

Apparently our former assistant manager Gus Poyet is the bookies favorite to land the manager's job, then again Ade Boothroyd has been mentioned aswell....ironically both of these people were understudies at Leeds - Poyet was understudy to Dennis Wise and Boothroyd was understudy to Kevin Blackwell for a while when we were in the Championship.

Personally it would be good to see Gus get the job since the players clearly liked him as results started to slip badly last season when he left for Spurs....also Boothroyd would be alright aswell since he seems to have some tactical nouse....he has already won promotion to the Premiership (against us) with Watford, also he got the best out of Marlon King when he went to Watford - we had him at Leeds on loan under Blackwell and he always stuck him wide right.....Boothroyd at Watford signed him on the cheap and puts him up front and he tormented the opposition's defense on a weekly basis and was the Championship's top scorer....go figure!

Come to think of it we haven't had a "proper manager" since Terry Venables got the sack, since then they have all either been assistant managers or former players from Eddy Gray to Gary Mac.

Jose Mourinho to Leeds lol.

Nah seriously I'll go with Boothroyd.....I just hope we don't get a numpty in charge.

BigLid
23rd December, 2008, 12:21 PM
i do not think Gus Poyet should be offered the job as he cleared off and left Leeds in the lurch at the first opportunity. Now he is out of a job he wants to come crawling back. No way, we still have our pride.

Raven
24th December, 2008, 02:19 PM
It's academic anyhow lol, Simon Grayson has been appointed as the new manager at Leeds United, his first game in charge is against league leaders Leicester.

To be honest, personally I'd never heard of Simon Grayson and my first reaction to the news was to say out loud "who ?" .....apparently Grayson is from Leeds and came through at the club but didn't make the grade as a player but more importantly Grayson was in charge of Blackpool who he got promoted out of League One not so long back and he has dropped down a division to come and manage Leeds.

I feel bad for Macca because just you watch our results drastically improve upon Beckford's return from injury.

We have a big squad, but that squad is not good enough....we have 3 or 4 key players who are crucial to our success and without them as the last month has proven, we are incapable. And that's the difference.

lfc4life
27th December, 2008, 09:50 AM
McAllister was a brilliant player but was a managerial novice, and i thought he should have been given to the end of the season. Why didn't the chairman look at peter taylor?

THE GENERALIST
29th December, 2008, 12:15 PM
Third division club - third division mentality I'm afraid. They have lost too much ground to ever make an impact in English or European football. They aren't even the biiggest sporting club in Leeds now with Leeds Rhinos on their doorstep..........................

lfc4life
29th December, 2008, 12:19 PM
well leeds problem was for a long time there were living beyond there means and they finally paid for this greed! :flute:

Raven
31st December, 2008, 01:43 AM
Well we are probably further away as a team than we think from where we apparently ought to be (Premiership) but we won't ever get there until we earn the right back to play there in that league.

I do think we will be back in the Premiership somewhere down the line, all it takes is a couple of good seasons in theory and we are back in.....look at the Premiership this year where did Hull and Stoke come from ? And as Hull are proving any team can have a good first season up in the top flight. So it's not as unnatainable as some might think but it is a hell of a long road back and as I say we need to earn the right for promotion to a higher league, just because we are Leeds United FC doesn't mean anything and certainly doesn't mean we have a god given right to be anywhere just because of the history of the club. We have to earn the right to play in higher leagues and if you don't earn any such right then you are in the league you deserved to be in.

I think we will be back someday, but for now the players need to roll their sleeves up and say "right, we are not Leeds United we are 11 players on a football team and we have to earn our place in football in terms of where we want to be".....until that happens we ain't going anywhere.

cbatts
6th January, 2009, 04:58 PM
I can't help thinking that while Gus Poyet was at Leeds, they won games and played well. He was obviously the talent. so when GM was sacked and GP was seen in the company of Mr Bates I honestly thought he was coming back. Shame really. Ah well, lets hope we can still start to see a turnaround. Looking at the size of the squad I have to think that maybee quality rather than quantity should be the way forward.