PDA

View Full Version : Ford mondeo 2.0L zetec Help needed

reddave
21st December, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Guys and merry christmas

I am getting hold of a Mondeo 2.0L zetec (2001) of my partners uncle it has about 73K on the clock he has told me it may have a 3rd piston problem but has and still is running fine it is also burning some oil and has to top it up every six weeks or so, the oil is not leaking. I am not car minded would the piston be a expensive repair? and how would I know it is on it's way out? also the air bag light stays on.

Any help would be helpful.

bigi
23rd December, 2008, 10:57 AM

I am getting hold of a Mondeo 2.0L zetec (2001) of my partners uncle it has about 73K on the clock he has told me it may have a 3rd piston problem but has and still is running fine it is also burning some oil and has to top it up every six weeks or so, the oil is not leaking. I am not car minded would the piston be a expensive repair? and how would I know it is on it's way out? also the air bag light stays on.

Hiya mate

If it's burning oil and definitely not leaking then it can only be one of 2 things - either an oil ring has gone on one of the pistons or the head gasket has gone and oil is leaking into the water system. if it's the former it would show in the form of blue smoke from the exhaust; if it's the latter it would show in the form of oil in the header tank and 'mayonnaise' on the dipstick and the oil filler cap. the head gasket would be the cheaper problem but would still require the head to be removed and skimmed and the engine flushing. if its an oil ring gone then you would probably be better off getting a second hand engine put in it as it would almost certainly require a rebore. This would also explain a 'piston problem' - although could do with a bit more detail on this one!

nellyscossy
24th December, 2008, 03:28 AM

first thing to do is a compression test, takes ten minutes and will show up any faults regarding leaking rings/gasket
i have just done a headgasket on one of these new cambelt/head skim/and head gasket (including new stretch bolts) set cost me ?100
took me half a day to do it myself

a garage would charge about ?350 to do the gasket....not sure about the piston though..i do know that the pistons can be removed without taking out the engine......

but in saying all this i was quoted ?100 for a new engine from my local scrapyard..