PDA

View Full Version : HTC Desire S

NaNaNiii
1st August, 2011, 02:17 PM
Just ordered a HTC Desire S on a 24 month contract :D It's my 1st touchscreen smart phone (I had a sony ericsson W995 Before) so im pretty new to android. Does anyone recommend any apps or games for the desire s? Also another thing. The screen is apparently covered with Gorilla Glass. Does that mean that it's scratch proof and i wont need to put a screen protector on it??? Thanks

happy_highlander
1st August, 2011, 03:09 PM
Gorilla glass is scratch proof but don't expect it not to mark if you abuse it. If you work in a very dusty environment or tend to just chuck in beside keys and the like then a good quality screen protector is a must, brick fragments are the worst being hard small and very sharp

Canker_Canison
1st August, 2011, 06:00 PM
If you feel it's a bit slow try downloading Go Launcher.

For fun there's a tricorder app, just don't know where you get it from. Try the market place first.

NaNaNiii
6th August, 2011, 12:35 AM
Phone came yesterday and its amazing...shame but the piss poor battery life :(

eurostar
25th August, 2011, 09:26 PM
Bad battery life and my screen has light scratches on it from being in my pocket with loose change. Tough screen my ass

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

happy_highlander
25th August, 2011, 10:19 PM
Bad battery life and my screen has light scratches on it from being in my pocket with loose change. Tough screen my ass

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk
didn't you read post 2 glass and metal don't mix no matter how tough it is

Lainie
25th August, 2011, 10:39 PM
Just ordered a HTC Desire S on a 24 month contract :D It's my 1st touchscreen smart phone (I had a sony ericsson W995 Before) so im pretty new to android. Does anyone recommend any apps or games for the desire s? Also another thing. The screen is apparently covered with Gorilla Glass. Does that mean that it's scratch proof and i wont need to put a screen protector on it??? Thanks

exactly same phones as me!!

NaNaNiii
26th August, 2011, 12:19 AM
exactly same phones as me!!

Woooi we have the same taste!!!! :D how u finding yours?

Lainie
26th August, 2011, 12:37 AM
i love it. mind you textings a bit tricky with nail extensions though lol

had sony ericsson phones for 6 yrs but gotta say htc is fab.

i dont really use mine much for the internet.

NaNaNiii
26th August, 2011, 12:43 AM
LOl This was my 1st Non Sony Ericsson phone and I absolutely love it!!! Its amazing is every way lol. Dunno hoe I've lived without it :s

mtv1
26th August, 2011, 12:46 AM
htc are a great , and you can use any network cannot be locked :D

on and off topic , i got an archos tablet get my apps here AppsLib. The Android Market for Android Tablets | Android Tapp. Android App Reviews (http://www.androidtapp.com/appslib-the-android-market-for-android-tablets/) can they be used on the htc or other android phones coz there's a lot for free :D

Canker_Canison
26th August, 2011, 03:59 PM
htc are a great , and you can use any network cannot be locked :D

This is only true if the phone is SIM Free. That means you had to of picked it up from Carphone Warehouse, phones 4 u, etc.
If the phone came direct from the network or one of their shops, the phone will be locked.

gazz10
26th August, 2011, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Canker_Canison;1195807

For fun there's a tricorder app, just don't know where you get it from. Try the market place first.[/QUOTE]

Killed by CBS Lawyers
Sorry Tricorder fans, Tricorder has been deleted from the Android Market by Google, at the demand of CBS's legal weasels. This all happened without any discussion or warning -- I was simply notified after the fact.

Since I don't have legal weasels of my own, or the time to deal with this, that's it for Tricorder.

It's apparently the graphical design that's at issue, not the name. According to Wikipedia, "Gene Roddenberry's contract included a clause allowing any company able to create functioning technology to use the name". Now that GR is dead, I guess CBS believes they own swoopy curves.

This is the notification I got:

--

Hello,

Google has been notified, according to the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that your application(s) allegedly infringe upon the copyrights of others. The details of the application(s) in question may be found at the end of this message. Please note that we have attached a copy of the original notice we received for your reference.

The DMCA is a United States copyright law that provides guidelines for online service provider liability in case of copyright infringement. We are in the process of removing the materials that allegedly infringe upon the copyrights of others. If we did not do so, we would be subject to a claim of copyright infringement, regardless of its merits. See http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=254 for more information about the DMCA, and see http://www.google.com/dmca.html for the process that Google requires in order to make a DMCA complaint.

Google can reinstate these materials into Android Market upon receipt of a counter notification pursuant to sections 512(g)(2) and (3) of the DMCA. For more information about the requirements of a counter notification, and a link to a sample counter notification, see http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=lr_counternotice&product=androidmarket

Also, please note that notices concerning content in your app may result in action taken against any associated AdSense or AdMob accounts and repeated violations may result in a suspension of your Android Market Publisher account.

If you have legal questions about this notification, you should retain your own legal counsel. If you have any other questions about this notification, please let us know.

The affected application is listed below:

Tricorder

http://code.google.com/p/moonblink/wiki/Tricorder

Canker_Canison
26th August, 2011, 09:25 PM
Killed by CBS Lawyers
Sorry Tricorder fans, Tricorder has been deleted from the Android Market by Google, at the demand of CBS's legal weasels. This all happened without any discussion or warning -- I was simply notified after the fact.

Since I don't have legal weasels of my own, or the time to deal with this, that's it for Tricorder.

It's apparently the graphical design that's at issue, not the name. According to Wikipedia, "Gene Roddenberry's contract included a clause allowing any company able to create functioning technology to use the name". Now that GR is dead, I guess CBS believes they own swoopy curves.

This is the notification I got:

--

Hello,

Google has been notified, according to the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that your application(s) allegedly infringe upon the copyrights of others. The details of the application(s) in question may be found at the end of this message. Please note that we have attached a copy of the original notice we received for your reference.

The DMCA is a United States copyright law that provides guidelines for online service provider liability in case of copyright infringement. We are in the process of removing the materials that allegedly infringe upon the copyrights of others. If we did not do so, we would be subject to a claim of copyright infringement, regardless of its merits. See http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=254 for more information about the DMCA, and see http://www.google.com/dmca.html for the process that Google requires in order to make a DMCA complaint.

Google can reinstate these materials into Android Market upon receipt of a counter notification pursuant to sections 512(g)(2) and (3) of the DMCA. For more information about the requirements of a counter notification, and a link to a sample counter notification, see http://www.google.com/support/bin/request.py?contact_type=lr_counternotice&product=androidmarket

Also, please note that notices concerning content in your app may result in action taken against any associated AdSense or AdMob accounts and repeated violations may result in a suspension of your Android Market Publisher account.

If you have legal questions about this notification, you should retain your own legal counsel. If you have any other questions about this notification, please let us know.

The affected application is listed below:

Tricorder

http://code.google.com/p/moonblink/wiki/Tricorder

Strange. Since I posted the tricorder recomendation I've upgraded to an Android phone.
The first app I downloaded from the market place was the tricorder. This was only 3 weeks ago.

eurostar
27th August, 2011, 09:19 AM
didn't you read post 2 glass and metal don't mix no matter how tough it is

I'll carry glass money in future so with the phone wrapped in cotton wool to protect the tough screen,thanks for the tip.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

happy_highlander
27th August, 2011, 04:25 PM
I'll carry glass money in future so with the phone wrapped in cotton wool to protect the tough screen,thanks for the tip.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be easier to put a screen protector on it. That way you wouldn't waste your money by breaking it or scratching your screen

eurostar
29th August, 2011, 02:27 AM
Point being is that they boast about how tough the screen is and then you throw it in your pocket and its all torn up.
I see videos of a guy stabbing at the screen with a biro for demonstration on the tough screen, lets see him do one throwing some lose change at it.that's all.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk

happy_highlander
29th August, 2011, 10:36 AM
Point being is that they boast about how tough the screen is and then you throw it in your pocket and its all torn up.
I see videos of a guy stabbing at the screen with a biro for demonstration on the tough screen, lets see him do one throwing some lose change at it.that's all.

HTC Desire S-Tapatalk
I know it's a pain in the arse my wife has the same problem with her sgs 2 but I carry my sgs around in my pocket at work all day in dust and mess and it is unmarked. It seems some gorilla glass is tougher than others. I have seen a live demonstration with a guy taking his keys and trying to scratch the screen and was under the impression at the time that is not the glass they are selling to us punters

Canker_Canison
30th August, 2011, 03:30 PM
If someone sells you a bullet proof vest, you don't go around looking for people to shoot you.

Ever since my first touch screen phone, some 6 years ago, I've always used screen protectors. Just because it's designed to survive doesn't mean a bit of TLC won't be appreciated.

andy1967
1st September, 2011, 05:52 PM
Had my desire over a year and my update has past to get a new phone, can't decide on the desire s or HD, can anyone recomend which and why? thanks

NaNaNiii
2nd September, 2011, 12:00 AM
The Desire S is a lot smaller and looks better than the DHD. I think they both have the same processor and ram n stuff but DHDs got a 8mp camera whereas the Desire S had a 5mp one. The screen on the Desire S is sharper than the DHD. Thats all i know

xant14
2nd September, 2011, 12:07 AM
missus just got the desire s, more ram than my desire, but same processor. It has 2.3 android, and it has unique wifi signal to phone when you get no signal in the house.. ~~~~ing neat trick that is.

Canker_Canison
2nd September, 2011, 04:15 PM
Now, I'm not trashing the HTC Desire S or HD. But there are better phones out there.

Don't get me wrong, HTC make some good heavy weight phones with amazing build quality. It's just the market is moving a lot faster now with 2Ghz dual core processors & more system RAM.

The HTC Sensation is top of their range with a 1.2Ghz dual core processor, 8MP full 1080 HD recording, 4.3" screen.

It still suffers badly on battery life & the screen has problems in direct sunlight even if it does have a massive pixel count. But it also stays in the shadows of the Samsung Galaxy S2 when it comes to shear speed.

xant14
2nd September, 2011, 06:46 PM
the missus has a slightly bigger battery too. I agree stuff is getting better, but battery tech ain keeping up.

Lainie
4th September, 2011, 07:40 PM
the desire hd is a really big phone in my opinion. too bulky

jovandamir
5th September, 2011, 05:07 PM
Try angry birds.

FreedomRunner
13th September, 2011, 08:06 AM
Angry Birds is a really nice game!!!