PDA

View Full Version : editing VIN number in flash - is it safe?

VTS_Tibi
4th August, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys!

I would have to change the VIN number in a Bosch ECU (from a MAN TGA 18.430)
now
I've found the VIN in the AM29F400BT flash. Now I would have to change it to the new VIN.

Is it safe if I simply replace the old VIN with the new one? So just simply replace the characters?

Or could I run into problems afterwards?

Regards,

Tibi

p.s.: I've attached the dump from the flash and the immo chip, but I haven't found the VIN in the immo.

javilette
4th August, 2011, 02:29 PM
i think that you have a problem whith check sum and the car dont start

alfabit
4th August, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hi Guys!

I would have to change the VIN number in a Bosch ECU (from a MAN TGA 18.430)
now
I've found the VIN in the AM29F400BT flash. Now I would have to change it to the new VIN.

Is it safe if I simply replace the old VIN with the new one? So just simply replace the characters?

Or could I run into problems afterwards?

Regards,

Tibi

p.s.: I've attached the dump from the flash and the immo chip, but I haven't found the VIN in the immo.

You can do that only by a sw, and change the VIN in ALL the places where it is written :ECU, ABS, Airbag and so on. Practically every computer unit in the vehicule it is personallized with the VIN of that vehicle. Otherwise one looking profi will see the modifications.
And that sw will calculate and write the new good checksum in every ECU for no errors !

VTS_Tibi
4th August, 2011, 04:00 PM
but... will it work, or the car will not start OR throw out error codes regarding to this?

jovime
4th August, 2011, 04:14 PM
I made it on several DAF BOSCH MS6 and meanwhile you correct the checksumm, there should not be any problem. Never tried on a MAN.

Anyways if you keep a complete copy of the ECU data (eeprom & flash) you can try it without worrying about.

VTS_Tibi
5th August, 2011, 08:53 AM
thanks guys! btw. I will not try it as I suspect some kind of illegal thing behind this truck and the VIN change... whenever I speak to the guy he tells a different story why the ECUs were replaced...

So I just gave him back and told good bye!

alfabit
5th August, 2011, 09:42 AM
thanks guys! btw. I will not try it as I suspect some kind of illegal thing behind this truck and the VIN change... whenever I speak to the guy he tells a different story why the ECUs were replaced...

So I just gave him back and told good bye!

C`mon m8 ! Don`t worry ! Nobody suspected you of nothing bad !
We are between friends here !

ATB

VTS_Tibi
5th August, 2011, 11:04 AM
yeah, right

but I found out that this VIN change is because the truck was too old to do international trips, as they don't allow trucks to leave the country, and go abroad if they reach a certain age

they've sourced a new chassis, and they wanted me to put the new vin into the components, to make an old truck look new, when VIN is checked - and knowing how arsey they can be in germany, where they want to go,if the truck would be involved in accident I could be in trouble... this does not worth the risk, especially for that 50GBP I wanted to ask!

atd
7th August, 2011, 02:53 AM
It's punishable in my country...So be careful