PDA

View Full Version : problem grass

Lainie
5th August, 2011, 09:50 PM
we have slowly but surely been gutting my b/f's garden. it really was a shoite hole. we are getting there slowly but surely however the last main bit to do is the grass. its not all that big. there was stones then bark down either side approx 3 feet wide. the lawn is almost permanently waterlogged due to previous people lowering it and the arseholes next doors trees overhanging our grass.

we got a couple of quotes in for digging it up and sorting drainage and laying a new lawn but slanting down towards the couple of patios we built at the front of the garden. cheapest quote is ?750.

someone came out today and suggested we deck the whole lot (i did think of this ages ago). however i want suggestions of what to put under the decking so the grass/weeds doesnt end up coming thru it.

any advice appreciated.

cactikid
5th August, 2011, 10:13 PM
heavy duty weed sheet made of nylon like this,kill of anything growing first then 2 layers should be sweet.

HEAVY DUTY WEED STOP CONTROL FABRIC SHEETING 40M X 1M | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-WEED-STOP-CONTROL-FABRIC-SHEETING-40M-X-1M-/290323611075)

true grit
5th August, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi Lainie, you can buy a roll of weed suppressant and cover with gravel, or the cheap way is to lay old carpet underlay and put decking above.

Lainie
5th August, 2011, 10:37 PM
i bought a roll of weed control stuff from a place in clydebank. i cut it and folded it in half then half again before putting slate chips on it in another part of the back garden.

i really like the decking idea if its very low maintenance lol however the weeds, the lawn (do we lift it) and drainage need sorted first.

thanks for your input guys.

cactikid
6th August, 2011, 08:30 AM
if as you say permanently waterlogged well yes some sort of drainage needed
types of garden drainage systems (http://www.flowerpotman.com/lawnsandgardendrainage/gardendrainagesystems.html)
or
Lawn Drainage - how to install lawn drainage, soakaways, drains to avoid waterlogged lawns (http://www.hintsandthings.com/garden/lawndrainage.htm)

nara
6th August, 2011, 10:35 AM
Cheapest solution is to dig a rubble drain. Hard work, but minimal to zero materials expense.

Lainie
6th August, 2011, 10:56 AM
rubble drain nara??

nara
6th August, 2011, 11:05 AM
rubble drain nara??

Basically it's a soakaway. You just dig a large pit at the lowest point and fill the bottom with large chunks of rubble, bits of old concrete etc. Then fill back up again.

flyingpig
6th August, 2011, 03:24 PM
If you have water logging - then you would be best to put in a soakway - dead easy - as described above.

To get the garden good you need to have a fully structured approach, it wont happen overnight. Here is what I think should be done (and it is what I done with mine and it is still like a bowling green 5 years after.

1 - Clear the garden area - then rotovate and churn up all the soil. Level it and arrange it at the level of split level or how you want it. Flatten it down then lay the barrier matting over all the garden where you want grass to grow.

2 - Leave the barrier matting down till next spring. This way the soil will be okay as water will get through, but the weeds and most forms of plant life will be dead as there is no sun getting to it for 8 / 9 months.

3 - Next Spring (April say) lift the barrier matting, aeriate the soil by 'forking it' all over, then cover with top grade top soil. Rake it level.

4 - Either put top grade turf on it, or because of all the excellent prep work done you can put down grass seed.

As said earlier, if you have water logging then you defo need to put a soakaway in.

FP.

stihl260
6th August, 2011, 06:01 PM
As already mentioned a soakaway is the best way to go.
Just remember that the more pourous your infill material is the better.
brick rubble is better than just plain broken concrete as it absorbs more water.
Dont forget to lay a permiable membrane over the top before you fill it over with soil.
Or the soil will wash into the soakaway and will not do its job properly.

As for your decking, one solution is to put your uprights in using post mix , concrete etc and then mix up a mix of small shingle and cement only (no sand).
This will form a strong yet Permiable layer that will allow water to pass through and stop any weed, plant growth.

It something i used to do under block paved driveways to stop the sand washing through the limstone sub base.
This way you dont get any movement or sinking as it forms a strong crust.

If you need any advice on decking design, construction etc just ask.

Done more than afew in my time.