PDA

View Full Version : Advantages and disadvantages in closing EGR in VAG group.

levisdj
10th August, 2011, 07:27 AM
I'm opening this post to view your opinion about closing or not closing EGR valve.[Especially in VAG group].We all know that the EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again.The question is does it help save fuel? Does it not ? Looking forward to opinions!

bazare
10th August, 2011, 08:29 AM
you are not saving fuel by closing it ... it's not designed for that ... it's only to reduce NOx level of gases.
-you gain cleaner intake
-disadvantages ... inside chamber temp will rise + 150C

rappttor
10th August, 2011, 09:08 AM
adv:
not clogging your intake, and turbos vnt...

dis:
maybe you will not have a euro 4 car :))
temp rising but not enough to damage the engine
on some VW engines, egr is used to spin down the turbo when neded at high rpm

rossoelab
11th August, 2011, 04:45 PM
egr fact serves only to "dirty" the mixture to lower the combustion temperature, because the high temperature is due to the production of NOx (nitrogen oxide)
closing egr then raises the temperature in the combustion chamber, because the exhaust is replaced with clean air and then filled with oxygen, is a heat engine, but then improves only slightly.
the highest temperature in the combustion chamber can not cause damage to the engine, but it can certainly anticipate a failure in the event of a defective text.
egr advantages in closing is that, keeps it clean intake manifold, the intake pipes, valves, geometry turbo etc etc. ............
disadvantages are most polluting our planet with a noxious gas

marujon
11th August, 2011, 09:48 PM
Advantages :

Clean air to your engine, not recycle dirt air into engine. In my case, doing a reprogramming, if have egr original map, car consumes too much diesel. I dont know why, whith same maps tuned and closing egr, consumtion of fuel reduces. The disavantages, be bad with EPA. I close EGr WHEN it didnt causes fail engine (in some cars you cant close egr completely or makes a fail ). More powerful , because air does not comes dirty and has good combustion .

lulu2003
11th August, 2011, 10:29 PM
how about only reducing EGR by some amount?

atd
12th August, 2011, 08:37 AM
It's like breathing your farts when you can take a breath of fresh air.
Somebody reduce EGR by some amount, close earlier or change place in higher rpm.

levisdj
12th August, 2011, 08:42 AM
Very nice comparison atd :tee:

rossoelab
12th August, 2011, 08:57 AM
good atd lollollol

lulu2003
12th August, 2011, 11:08 AM
sometimes it's clever to reduce farting or eat less beans when there is no window close to you... ;)