PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking a galaxy S2

cunny
16th August, 2011, 09:27 PM
Guys been given a S2 to unlock. Its on orange and he wants it opening up to any sim card. I have tried 2 custom roms from samsung firmware but its still locked to orange.

Any idea on how to unlock the sims?

cunny
16th August, 2011, 09:46 PM
Done it

I followed the rooting guides here

How to SIM Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy S2 (SII) ? | Inspired Geek (http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/05/25/how-to-sim-unlock-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-sii/)

How to Root Samsung Galaxy SII (S2) Using Odin and SuperOneClick ? [Step-by-step Guide] | Inspired Geek (http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/04/30/how-to-root-samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-using-odin-and-superoneclick-step-by-step-guide/)

Downloaded a simunlocking program off the market :)

happy_highlander
16th August, 2011, 10:16 PM
the only thing you have to be careful of when unlocking them is that there has been few occasions where the imei on a galaxy s has has been messed up and you can't download from the market. I am assuming the same can happen with the s2...Easy solution is to backup the efs folder after root but before unlock that way you can put the original back if the imei gets messed up

cunny
16th August, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well after getting the code, it does not work, not sure about this but it only works with certain HW versions and unsure how to determine them.

Tried a few times an googled all sorts looking for an answer but no joys

kam
17th August, 2011, 06:49 PM
you could try samsungs universal code...but this will reset your imei to all zeros...so please take a backup as suggested by happy highlanders

happy_highlander
17th August, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well after getting the code, it does not work, not sure about this but it only works with certain HW versions and unsure how to determine them.

Tried a few times an googled all sorts looking for an answer but no joys
To find the HW version type *#2222# into the dialer this will bring up the version number but as you said chainfire's apk only seems to work on HW 1.2...... Further enquiry's have led to this though m8....if you are on hw 1.4 use the code finder you have tried from chainfire (odia) but do it in this order

1.Run the app and get the unfreeze code..
2. Put the unfeeze code into the phone then shut the phone down.
3. Pull the battery (may or may not be necessary)
4. Restart the phone and put in the unlock code.

This has been confirmed as working

happy_highlander
2nd February, 2012, 11:42 PM
Why don't you just use an unlock code?

Unlock the Samsung Galaxy S2 - Mobileunlocked.co.uk (http://www.mobileunlocked.co.uk/samsung/i9100+galaxy+s+ii/)

Done.:congrats:

Because it's 20 quid and incase you hadn't noticed there are issues with unlocking the s and s2 which sometimes results in the imei being reset to zeros, even with "official" unlock codes.

gji25
13th February, 2012, 10:35 PM
as with any samsung phone be very wary using unlock codes as they can brick your phone by reverting your imei number to 000000000000000 . the best and proper way is to get it hardware unlocked eg: z3x box or get it done proffesionally by a good mobile phone unlocker

Hackdroid
14th February, 2012, 08:30 PM
i used zegrush method to root then downloaded galaxy_s unlock app by helroz as mentioned on xda and few other online blogs and that was it followed the instructions from a guide (i will find again and post here if needed) and that was it galaxy s2 unlocked for free ,its a been a couple of weeks now and no problems and imei is ok too

Hackdroid
14th February, 2012, 08:54 PM
this is how to use the app skip to 02.43 to start . Iknow it shows the galaxy s but the same method is used for the s2 as it uses the same app....very easy stuff

Unlock Samsung Galaxy S from stock Android 2.2 Froyo - YouTube