PDA

View Full Version : Starview

lfc4ever
22nd August, 2011, 08:06 PM
* * * WARNING * * *

I have been given creditable information that the Starview client database has been compromised and hundreds of customer details copied including email addresses, ip addresses, paypal account id's and box mac Id's. If this is true (and from what i've seen I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this claim) then its a very serious security breach for the starview team.

Passing on some info...ta.

hatchet
22nd August, 2011, 08:14 PM
I've heard the same, from a different source.

Most worrying thing is the Paypal details.

wetdog
22nd August, 2011, 08:24 PM
oh dear!!!

another nail in their coffin??????

mick.

cactikid
22nd August, 2011, 08:42 PM
i hope that its not kv spreading rumours,but if true i can see that as a final nail in coffin

slick_dick
22nd August, 2011, 09:08 PM
I've heard the same, from a different source.

Most worrying thing is the Paypal details.

damn

:vollkommenauf:

astro77
22nd August, 2011, 09:16 PM
does that mean i get a refund ???

:vollkommenauf:

not a good idea to bring attention to yourself from paypal for paying for a service that defrauds vm

slick_dick
22nd August, 2011, 09:18 PM
:sheep: oh nooooooooooo's

cactikid
22nd August, 2011, 09:22 PM
anybody that curtain twitches has a sv box be easily spotted.

astro77
22nd August, 2011, 09:27 PM
anybody that curtain twitches has a sv box be easily spotted.

Starview client database has been compromised is hardly curtain twitcing:cobblers:

cactikid
22nd August, 2011, 09:34 PM
did not want to mention brown underwear lol

astro77
22nd August, 2011, 09:44 PM
did not want to mention brown underwear lol

or brown trousers

hilltops123
22nd August, 2011, 10:09 PM
so are the boxs gone now?

cactikid
22nd August, 2011, 10:23 PM
no boxes still there.

ellen
22nd August, 2011, 10:35 PM
lol thats the best joke i have heard all year

TheCoder
22nd August, 2011, 10:46 PM
hmm, bad news if true but also quite possible. I know for a fact they've been warned at least twice over weak security practices by people who know what they are talking about.

lincsat
22nd August, 2011, 11:21 PM
Looks like the Kryptview children spreading rumours again

Shady
22nd August, 2011, 11:22 PM

you ~~~~ing hope lol

TheCoder
22nd August, 2011, 11:34 PM

Dangerous to assume such a thing. Whether its true or not you should always plan for the worst !

lincsat
22nd August, 2011, 11:37 PM
you ~~~~ing hope lol

No - I suspect

And before anyone else suggests that I am lying because I'm a moderator on the MyStarview forum - I also moderate the Kryptview section on that forum and only accepted the invitation on the condition that it would be neutral with no flaming.

I am not and have never been involved with the Starview server, I am just an INDEPENDENT seller.

satsmo
22nd August, 2011, 11:39 PM
Gone beyond boring now, the OP makes two posts since he joined and the second one starts with *WARNING*.

Those trading and maintaining both sides are in this thread, so let's say a pinch of salt should be taken with "WARNINGS* and I heard this and that.

Getting to be a bit childish on all sides. Now if people who have dropped the ball recently on both sides try and get their acts together instead of bitching on forums would that not make more sense?

I don't do sides but I know who is from what side and if mud slinging is to be done then take it off our forum as it can be seen for what it is.

I am surprised at those that I thought I knew getting involved in this.

lincsat
22nd August, 2011, 11:41 PM
Dangerous to assume such a thing. Whether its true or not you should always plan for the worst !

You should know the amount of unfounded rumours that circulate. If it was true, then the server would likely be down and the owners running for cover - Just another scare tactic IMO

slick_dick
22nd August, 2011, 11:44 PM
You should know the amount of unfounded rumours that circulate. If it was true, then the server would likely be down and the owners running for cover - Just another scare tactic IMO

FTW!!

:viking:

TheCoder
22nd August, 2011, 11:52 PM
Gone beyond boring now, the OP makes two posts since he joined and the second one starts with *WARNING*.

The problem is, how do you tell the difference between the genuine items and the rumours ?

99% of the time i'd agree with you - its just stuff posted to stir things up but just occasionally there's at least a small grain of truth in the rumours.

Still, either way there's nothing much we can do about it. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens next, if anything.

satsmo
22nd August, 2011, 11:58 PM
Indeed, there is always some truth but on this occasion the small grain as you say has sprouted wings as usual.

And agreed on the wait and see statement it usually is the best course of action if any.

TheCoder
23rd August, 2011, 12:01 AM
You should know the amount of unfounded rumours that circulate.

Yes, I agree, most of the stuff posted is crap but because I know what can be done I tend to get all paranoid when I see people just laughing the possibility off. Vicious circle I know but thats just me !

If it was true, then the server would likely be down and the owners running for cover - Just another scare tactic IMO

Why would you think they would even know they had been hacked ?

You see thats the problem. By definition hacking is stealthy - the object is to do it in such a way that nobody knows you've actually done it.

Its pointless discussing it any more now, as I said previosly - wait and see is about the only thing we can do at this time.

trajet
23rd August, 2011, 12:01 AM
What happens it will be another white wash, just like all the other rumors, as for linsat, moderating is one thing but why has kryptview got posts on a starview cardsharing forum, to me this is just another way trying to say they too are doing payed cardsharing, or have starview now taken over the krtyptview system as well but nobody is telling anyone.

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 12:03 AM
Welcome to our forum, two posts and both along these lines. We do not care what people do on other forums as long as they stay within the rules here all are welcome.

slick_dick
23rd August, 2011, 12:11 AM
seems like all the sellers are jumping on the band wagon

jolly good fun i say :p

lincsat
23rd August, 2011, 12:26 AM
What happens it will be another white wash, just like all the other rumors, as for linsat, moderating is one thing but why has kryptview got posts on a starview cardsharing forum, to me this is just another way trying to say they too are doing payed cardsharing, or have starview now taken over the krtyptview system as well but nobody is telling anyone.

This is not the place to discuss what happens on other forums, even a support forum primarily aimed at Starview owners. Personally, I offer help & support on many things, Starview, Kryptview, D-Box, Satellite boxes and many other things - maybe one day you will give back to the community some of the things you have experienced.

slick_dick
23rd August, 2011, 12:33 AM
This is not the place to discuss what happens on other forums, even a support forum primarily aimed at Starview owners. Personally, I offer help & support on many things, Starview, Kryptview, D-Box, Satellite boxes and many other things - maybe one day you will give back to the community some of the things you have experienced.

rofl well said lincsat :flowers:

dandare2020
23rd August, 2011, 07:08 AM
* * * WARNING * * *

I have been given creditable information that the Starview client database has been compromised and hundreds of customer details copied including email addresses, ip addresses, paypal account id's and box mac Id's. If this is true (and from what i've seen I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this claim) then its a very serious security breach for the starview team.

Passing on some info...ta.

This is not the case all tho many would wish so. Even if someone was to the amount of info is minimal. At the end of the day people put names in they could be fake and an email address that could be linked to paypal but your just paying for support on a forum nothing else. We take security very seriouly and if we thought for just one second someone was trying to we would do everything in our power to sort it out.

I can see this topic going the same as most of the others on the DK starview forum and being closed. Cant we all get along and do what the majority of people want on either forum and offer good support weather it be a sv or kv or anything else

Cheers

Dan

hilltops123
23rd August, 2011, 07:52 AM
heres a view, vm are running sv and kv? best of both worlds eh?:cheer::cheer::cheer:

themegakiddy
23rd August, 2011, 09:13 AM
Creditable information generally means fabrications started by competitors to promote there sales or service

Although it is complete bullshit as no information is kept except the support number as this is the only relevant piece of information

Guess it's time to start a thread :-S

themegakiddy
23rd August, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yet another rumour started by a competitor

Actually no user information is kept so how can that information be compromised!
the only information of any value or importance is the box number thus that's isthe reference to the support given!

Also within the next few weeks guys you will all see some interesting development in ref to the hd and the remaining channels n ppv :-D

But please Sv haters we all know that u have a keen interest in other box's thus providing cards and equipment but is there really any need in fabricating more bull shit!

We all know who these Sv haters are u simply have to look at your posts and see whom u work for as that's the equipment u promote then have the brain to put negativity against your competitors! Why don't ya'll create new accounts thus making it less obvious about your role and intensions!

"It is pretty simple to create new accounts! Although u all obviously like to be known for your dealings"

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 10:26 AM
Guess it's time to start a thread :-S

No it wasn't as this thread is sufficient enough and I have merged your last reply into this one.

As I said on the last page DK is not the place for this bickering between both sides and you,Dan and others also have a forum now that you can use to post these sort of rebuttals, please use it.

What was said on the last page was sufficient enough for now.

themegakiddy
23rd August, 2011, 11:49 AM
Tsat's ur one of the good guys ;-) thanks for that

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 03:00 PM
ok, people listen up !

Starview data is compromised and I should know cos i'm the one that compromised it.

Firstly some info as to why

I bought a Starview box a while back but have so far managed to get a measly four days viewing out of it despite several complaints. Anyway, long story short their attitude pissed me off big time so I decided to to take a look at how their systems work. Imagine my suprise when I saw the security they have in place is almost pathetically non existant

Anyway, I contacted Kiddie on his forum giving him his own IP address and even his location (right down to address) just to prove how compromised his system was. Waited couple of weeks, result account banned and no response yet system still as wide open as ever - they obviously aren't concerned about the welfare of their customers.

So, now i'm pissed off and concerned so I posted the above warning.

Qestion now is how do I prove I have the information so they will actually do something about it ?

I dont really want to post anything publically that will get people into trouble.

Evastar
23rd August, 2011, 03:05 PM
ok, people listen up !

Starview data is compromised and I should know cos i'm the one that compromised it.

Firstly some info as to why

I bought a Starview box a while back but have so far managed to get a measly four days viewing out of it despite several complaints. Anyway, long story short their attitude pissed me off big time so I decided to to take a look at how their systems work. Imagine my suprise when I saw the security they have in place is almost pathetically non existant

Anyway, I contacted Kiddie on his forum giving him his own IP address and even his location (right down to address) just to prove how compromised his system was. Waited couple of weeks, result account banned and no response yet system still as wide open as ever - they obviously aren't concerned about the welfare of their customers.

So, now i'm pissed off and concerned so I posted the above warning.

Qestion now is how do I prove I have the information so they will actually do something about it ?

I dont really want to post anything publically that will get people into trouble.

roflmao, getting yourself all excited are you?

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 03:12 PM
roflmao, getting yourself all excited are you?

So Eva, you want me to start publishing lists of peoples contact details ?

Before you get so cocky and just dismiss me as a crank maybe you should take a look at how easy it really is to do this stuff.

gmb45
23rd August, 2011, 03:14 PM
So Eva, you want me to start publishing lists of peoples contact details ?

try it m8 and see how long you last, even if you could.

Evastar
23rd August, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hardly, i'm just saying i don't believe you have them. :)

Oh i'm not saying that they haven't been compromised, i don't know one way or the other, i'm just saying that whoever did it is hardly gonna come on here and start boasting about it.

Shady
23rd August, 2011, 03:23 PM
how about a nice game of tic tac toe?

Shady
23rd August, 2011, 03:27 PM
im not dismissing you as a crank mate, but as you say, without posting peoples details somewhere..(ie not here), then theres no way of PROVING what you say. i agree that it is VERY possible for you to do what you've said you have. :)

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 03:41 PM
try it m8 and see how long you last, even if you could.

If I were to publish it then you certainly wouldn't be able to do anything about it so dont make threats you cant possibly back up. There's thousands of places I could post this stuff without problem. You want to ban me fine, makes no odds. My problem isn't with you - its solely with starview.

All I really want is for starview to be honest about what they are offering and listen when somebody has a problem rather than just fobbing them off with any old crap. It would also be nice if they fixed their system while they are at it - it leaks info like a sieve, not so good for protecting their customers.

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 03:42 PM
This is gone beyond a joke now, we have script kiddies joining in or so it is assumed, the info you posted and you have now edited was easy enough to attain without any hack.

This thread will be closed if it continues to become any further of a shambles than it already is.

gmb45
23rd August, 2011, 03:46 PM
If I were to publish it then you certainly wouldn't be able to do anything about it so dont make threats you cant possibly back up. There's thousands of places I could post this stuff without problem. You want to ban me fine, makes no odds. My problem isn't with you - its solely with starview.

All I really want is for starview to be honest about what they are offering and listen when somebody has a problem rather than just fobbing them off with any old crap. It would also be nice if they fixed their system while they are at it - it leaks info like a sieve, not so good for protecting their customers.

oh cant i ? :boring: your entitled to your opinion on here but if you post any thing on this forum that affects it, then it will be deleted.

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 03:48 PM
i agree that it is VERY possible for you to do what you've said you have. :)

Yes, its very possible, Kiddie knows it as i've already given him an idea but he's obviously not interested.

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 03:50 PM
You are signed up under two user names here and under a proxy. Both this account and the other one are on this thread, security is never a given no matter what you do.

BTW I will delete one or both accounts soon.

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 03:51 PM
oh cant i ? :boring: your entitled to your opinion on here but if you post any thing on this forum that affects it, then it will be deleted.

Dont worry, I have no intentions of putting people at risk by posting their details. The issue is that I could get them so easily in the first place. If I can do it then so can others.

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 04:01 PM
You are signed up under two user names here and under a proxy. Both this account and the other one are on this thread, security is never a given no matter what you do.

BTW I will delete one or both accounts soon.

I'm glad you said that - you illustrate exactly the point i'm trying to make. Security is never a given.

btw, I think you've got the accounts slightly wrong. Proxy, yes (sort of) , 2nd account, maybe, 3rd account - nah, no point. I know what can be done so not that much point in stockpiling accounts.

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 04:06 PM
I also know what can be done but choose not to come on forums and sit behind them and talk about hacking accounts.

As said we do not allow two accounts, one has to go so I think it is best to disable this one in a while.

I also understand your frustration but this is not the place to post about compromising systems. We go elsewhere for that and there are many here that do without posting here.

And this thread is near closing either way I would say.

PeteSmith
23rd August, 2011, 04:15 PM
I also understand your frustration but this is not the place to post about compromising systems. We go elsewhere for that and there are many here that do without posting here.

Perhaps not, but how else do you warn people about such things ?

Unless you can back a claim up with some kind of proof then nobody believes it so nothing ever changes

Anyway, this account has now served its purpose in illustrating such things so consider it deleted.

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 04:19 PM
Fair enough but there are many here with that info and more but don't post it. It really is of no interest to do so on a public forum, regardless of what frustration they may have caused you.

We do the deleting/banning accounts here and as said will do so now.

FixerUpper
23rd August, 2011, 04:30 PM
@lfc4ever...do you think you would have gone to all this trouble if you WEREN'T a Super Mod on a p!ss poor website, in the throws of dying, that gets fewer hits per day than my car gets sh!t on by flamingos??

Just a thought, FixerUpper.

lagerland
23rd August, 2011, 04:33 PM
Peter smith you sure you aint gary mckinnon in disguise .........

satsmo
23rd August, 2011, 04:34 PM
@ FixerUpper We know that too but even so this is not the thread for bickering about other forums as said already throughout this thread.

Second thoughts, no one listens, we allow threads to go on until some resolution is made or not, but this one has just one intention and it has served it.

Thread Closed.