PDA

View Full Version : nexiq usblink - SMD components burned out...

bynow3
25th August, 2011, 07:08 AM
greetings!
One day I have found one problem with my nexiq USBlink.
theme is below:

Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 11:56 PM
To: Detroit - Technical Support
Subject: tech inquiry

Dear sirs,
could you inform me about the diodes used in nexiq usb link adapter on places D11and D12? They have marking
BE
OCA or
BE
0CA

Adapter's PCB has 1700-076 REV H marking. These diodes burned out due to shortage in truck wiring...
Thank you in advance for your soon reply,
WBR, Alex

2011/8/25 Detroit - Technical Support <support@nexiq.com>
Good day,

You will have to send your USB Link into us and we can repair it for you. The repair cost is $125.00 plus shipping. Please ship to
Snap-on
ATTN: Service Repair
2950 Waterview Drive
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

Please include your name, phone number and brief description of the problem.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Good day,
thanks alot for your reply. The problem is concluded in the next. Trying to connect European Volvo FH12, YOM 2006. After connecting USBlink to diag socket some info from dash disappeared, such as gear selected, sensors readings, truck mesages etc concerning LCD display, truck won't start (starter turns but motor don't run) - I think because of shortage inside USBlink owing burned diodes - data lines J1708+ J1708- stay shortened. Onboard diagnostic in this state is unavailable - message appear on LCD in attempt to read faults. After disconnecting USBlink truck starts and runs OK.
After dismantling the USBlink and testing data lines - pin 14 and pin 15 of DB15 port I have found burned diodes previously described. I try to find info about these diodes from Vishay/General Semiconductors and it seems to be SMAJ12A. Please understand me, shipment costs to USA from Russia and back plus repair costs - value is too big... So I kindly ask you to inform me about the subject I asked...
Truly yours,
Alex

Anybody can help me to fix diodes types I asked from Nexiq?

jackalfa
26th August, 2011, 04:13 AM
I hope that you get a response from Nexiq and please let us know. I understand you are in Russia and it's a big problem to get it repair from Nexiq. I send them one USB Link some time ago and they fix it for a similar amount, they did a great job change it almost everything, case, usb connector and internal parts.
If you can't find the diodes try to send it to them you won't regret it.
Good luck...

bynow3
27th August, 2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks mate for your info and good wishes to me,
still waiting answer from Nexiq. BTW I order SMAJ12A diodes to have possibility to repair USBlink myself. I'll post here after exchange of diodes if it helps. I hope so... So the 1-st of September is the X-time...

bynow3
3rd September, 2011, 07:01 PM
As I promised - these diodes are for defence from high voltage in diagnostic bus only. I desolder them and my Nexiq now works fine. But I've got replacement parts and resolder them onto their places tomorrow.
WBR,
Alex

PS - Of cource Nexiq tech dept didn't answer me...

jackalfa
5th September, 2011, 05:37 PM
Great! good for you. please post pics of the burned diodes and replacements.
best regards...

bynow3
15th September, 2011, 07:37 PM
Picture of subject attached...

worldobd
25th October, 2011, 10:51 PM
I found that xxxxxxxx sells a similar product called truk diag king. Not sure if it works well.

integlikewhoa
25th October, 2011, 11:44 PM
I found that sells a similar product called Truck Diag King (http://www.ecutool.com/Truck-Diag-King-Multi-Diesel-Diagnosis-Interface-USB-Link_8010.html). Not sure if it works well.

Looks like a clone, but the online price for that is about the same online price for the real deal.

rudamie
26th October, 2011, 02:55 AM
greetings!
One day I have found one problem with my nexiq USBlink.
theme is below:

Anybody can help me to fix diodes types I asked from Nexiq?

bynow3,
great work on troubleshooting your USB-Link. I seem to be having the same problem with mine. It appears not to be connecting on the J1708 side.

bynow3
26th October, 2011, 06:33 PM
bynow3,
great work on troubleshooting your USB-Link. I seem to be having the same problem with mine. It appears not to be connecting on the J1708 side.
so dismantle the adapter, and check these diodes... hope this thread helps you!

jackalfa
23rd October, 2012, 05:36 AM
Ok, now I have the same problem, with the same diodes.
please can you tell me if the SMAJ12A diode worked as replecement?
Or can someone tell me please, the replacement part or equivalent part number for this diode?

thanks

bynow3
23rd October, 2012, 05:32 PM
Yes, it works good. Because these diodes are that all you need (I have checked it in Big Datasheet Book of VISHAY)
By the way, you may only desolder these diodes (remove) and your Nexiq will be OK. But defence from overvoltage/wrong polarity will disapear...

parezoo
5th January, 2013, 02:40 AM
I have an EDL (its made by Nexiq and looks the same) the PCB is different though.

My problem is it doesn't get any power and when i connect it to the computer, nothing happens, no light, no detection of new hardware, nothing, anybody has any similar experience or know a place to repair these please?

bynow3
5th January, 2013, 08:18 AM
Post your PCB pictures mate

parezoo
5th January, 2013, 05:00 PM
Here it is, EDL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bynow3
5th January, 2013, 09:10 PM
I think, the easiest way (but not the cheapest) is to write down a letter as I did to tech support (adress is some posts below).
Other way is to find datasheet for MCU and try to check supply voltage on it. Also you can try to check all the elements on USB interface inside your EDL...