PDA

View Full Version : New to dream box

bornnslippy
24th December, 2008, 04:13 AM
Just got my dreambox today from my dad in cyprus one he didnt want so i put Gemini_0450_DM500_max_var on it and now i get

warning - clone box detected system stop- contact you dealer -adios amigo

Guess i need to JTAG the dreambox now is it possible to buy a cable already made up here in the uk?

Thxs

opsmonkey
24th December, 2008, 04:34 AM
you should have read about mate, gemini kills clone boxes, anything above 4.2 is bad for clones..

read this..

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/jtag-repair-dreambox-11795/

also JTAG cable ready made..

you'll be lucky.. sometimes one is available on ebay but not at this time

bornnslippy
24th December, 2008, 11:36 AM
Cheers 4 the reply but ive opened it up and its doesnt look like a clone looks like the real thing

How are they allowed to do this

felix1
24th December, 2008, 03:36 PM
not sure the 'look' is gonna help you. the firmware detects fake mac addresses and has determined the box to be fake.

opsmonkey
24th December, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cheers 4 the reply but ive opened it up and its doesnt look like a clone looks like the real thing

How are they allowed to do this

your eyes cant tell.. the software can..

of course they can do it........

would you want people ripping off your inteligent property or making cheap quality fakes under your trademark name..???

bornnslippy
24th December, 2008, 09:02 PM
your eyes cant tell.. the software can..

of course they can do it........

would you want people ripping off your inteligent property or making cheap quality fakes under your trademark name..???

Yeah but what about the people who are sold boxes by being told they were original?

opsmonkey
25th December, 2008, 12:38 AM
its not Dream Multimedia's problem that is it..?

so its ralph lauen's fault that cheap crap sold on the market shrinks..?

the market trader said it was real..

have a word...

if someone is daft enough to buy a 'new' dreambox 500s and think its real when they havent been made for over a year thats their problem

alunfennell
26th December, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ooooh opsmonkey I feel your fustration coming out regarding this subject, I realy think the problem is people do not do ther homework when staring out patching there receivers, and blast there way into it without a care in the world, what I would love to know is why is everyone starting out heads straight for Gemini software as there are far better images, then comes the clone receiver issue especially the DM500 as you said this model has not been made for over a year but still people are still buying what they belive are real or even sometimes they know they are a clone.

The message I have for everone is do your research before you begin and continue to research long after.

Regards:
Alun

Curious123
27th December, 2008, 12:00 AM
You have to ask yourself the question why do people still keep going for the Gemini images and I think it is because they were the probably the best in their field. We can all argue till the cows come home but all of the images since have been based on their developement or their work or so to some degree so I can understand why they want to protect themselves from the clone makers.The Gemini team have made their intentions quite clear so as far I am concerned when people kill their boxes it is their own fault for not listening to Geminis warning.

red_erik
27th December, 2008, 07:09 PM
You have to ask yourself the question why do people still keep going for the Gemini images and I think it is because they were the probably the best in their field. We can all argue till the cows come home but all of the images since have been based on their developement or their work or so to some degree so I can understand why they want to protect themselves from the clone makers.The Gemini team have made their intentions quite clear so as far I am concerned when people kill their boxes it is their own fault for not listening to Geminis warning.

I also understand why they want to protect themselves. But is it OK to place SW-bombs, bricking peoples hardware, in "open-source" Linux based firmware?

Thanks / Red Erik :beer:

opsmonkey
27th December, 2008, 07:47 PM
I also understand why they want to protect themselves. But is it OK to place SW-bombs, bricking peoples hardware, in "open-source" Linux based firmware?

Thanks / Red Erik :beer:

yes it is.. why..? because these clones and fakes are illegal.. its not like IBM who licenced companies to make clones of their originall PC, Dream have not licenced it to anyone, chinese manufactures are ripping their intellectual property off.. in the same way Apple would be allowed to make Itunes updates to kill cloned chinese ipod copies..