PDA

View Full Version : Green Tomatoes

Evastar
4th September, 2011, 11:05 AM
i've given up on my tomatoes ever turning red and have picked a couple of bowls of them, anyone any ideas on the best way to ripen them?

i currently have them in a bowl with some ripe tomatoes i bought from the shop.

nara
4th September, 2011, 11:48 AM
" Put 5 -10 tomatoes in a paper bag with a ripening banana, apple or tomato and leave in a warm place. Periodically open it up to check for any that show signs of mould or rotting."

http://www.growveg.com/growblogpost.aspx?id=103

cactikid
4th September, 2011, 12:18 PM
omg green chutney for sale.free jar included lol

Evastar
4th September, 2011, 12:47 PM
i've tried the brown paper bag and banana before a couple of years ago, it does work :)

but they ripened quicker on a windowledge in a bowl with other tomatoes, might try both again and see what happens :)

if you want some green tomatoes you're welcome cacti, but you can make your own chutney lol

cactikid
4th September, 2011, 03:23 PM
lol no thanks i am not a chutney eater,it would need plenty of ketchup lol

magic94
18th September, 2011, 09:53 PM
Just put them on a sunny window sill and they will eventually turn red. When they are still on the tomato plant remove some of the leaves this will help ripen them

havocn16
19th September, 2011, 02:26 PM
what kind of tomatoes are they

mtv1
19th September, 2011, 02:28 PM
green ones doh lol

Mjolinor
19th September, 2011, 02:32 PM
Make green chutney :)

Evastar
21st September, 2011, 04:38 PM
they are actually doing great in a bowl with bananas, have a few ripe ones now :)

cactikid
21st September, 2011, 09:30 PM
chiqita bananas?? lol

KathyRRozier
16th October, 2011, 02:00 PM
Ripening tomatoes can be a challenge for some years. Most gardeners have had a green tomato summer, when there just seem to turn red. And, every gardener is left with Green Tomatoes at the end of the season ... is the natural way of the mother after all. But with a little care, can grow their harvest before, and even save the majority of late in the season finale. Let me share with you some tips garden gnome to ripen tomatoes, even the coolest of the summer!
Do not plant tomatoes early. Yes you read right. Most tomatoes do not grow well until the soil temperature is 60 degrees F, and you prevent the growth of plants that go too soon. Usually not recover to grow vigorously, so you know when to plant. To raise the temperature of the soil, trying to cover the tomato garden area with clear plastic for two weeks before your subscription set plants.Don t "in the tomatoes until the soil temperature is at least 70 degrees F . The land will heat faster without it.
Studies have shown that a plastic cover on your plants and fruit ripen more quickly. The surprise is that the padded red plastic is more effective, but if not found, it will black.
Tomatoes can flourish, but most varieties do not fruit set until the night temperature is at least 55 degrees F, so the flowers start to the nights are warmer so the plants can focus on green growth.
You can increase the night temperature by placing gallon jugs of milk filled with water around your young plants. They absorb sunlight during the day and radiates to your plants at night. If you have more money than milk bottles, you can buy a commercial product called Water Walls O '.
Learn how to prune your tomato plants, so you get fewer plants and fruit that ripen earlier. This includes the head of the plant when it reaches the top of the trellis and pruning side branches away.
When a light frost is expected, cover the plants with a tarp, plastic sheet or tray at night so it does not frost damaged and stop ripening. (This is one of those moments you might want to be a gnome and could predict the weather before it happens!)
If a hard frost is expected to pick green tomatoes and bring them inside. If there are any yellow or pink in ripe fruit is very likely that in a few days to two weeks. A few rots, but most mature very well. Even many of the fruits ripen completely green.
To ripen at home, place them on a platter and cover with a thin sheet of paper or cloth. Keep in a warm and dry, where it gradually begin the process of maturation. Avoid overheating your tomatoes! Too much moisture and sunlight can cause decomposition, and can be a heartbreaking loss. Most years they are still eating the ripe fruit in the den until Christmas.
When the tomatoes begin to ripen, they will release the ethylene gas, which helps speed the process. If you want to slow the process and the dissemination of tomatoes over time, eliminate mature green tomatoes. For a large batch of fresh tomatoes for a casserole, just the opposite! You can also place ripe bananas, or apples with tomatoes to help them grow at a rapid pace.

Kalipo
16th October, 2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry eva, but why are you asking how to rippen tomatoes when you know how too LOL..

Anyway you know.. but stick them on a window sill make sure they aren't touching other tomatoes.. i generaly keep turning them daily.. so all sides get sun :)

Jo-Jo
16th October, 2011, 11:17 PM
stick them in a draw for a about a week and they will go red

Evastar
31st October, 2011, 04:06 PM
my tomatoes were very disappointing this year, when they eventually ripened didn't have a great flavour at all :(

don't think i'll bother with them next year, or else just might have a couple of cherry tomato plants, certainly not going to bother planting them from seed :(

hotlife
14th November, 2011, 04:03 AM
This includes the head of the plant when it reaches the top of the trellis and pruning side branches away