PDA

View Full Version : fitting a masthead amplifier

okmate
9th September, 2011, 06:34 PM
afternoon guys i've been asked from by mother to instal an aeriel in here loft i'm pretty handy when it comes to diy and have fitted my own in the past but i'm really stuck when it comes to masthead amplifier

i have a new aeriel that i will fit in the loft i need to run a short amount of cable to the back bedroom for a new wall mounted lcd tv but at a later date may need to run 2 more cable runs of the main aeriel for freeveiw so how does a masthead amplifier work
theres no power supply in the loft thats were i'm stuck ? thanks in advance chaps

cactikid
9th September, 2011, 08:21 PM
i am in same situation as i will have to bring a power feed into the loft also think about a light for future use,i have one that i bought about 4 years ago as it needs a power supply and input of aerial and output up to 6 tvs.

okmate
10th September, 2011, 03:55 AM
i am in same situation as i will have to bring a power feed into the loft also think about a light for future use,i have one that i bought about 4 years ago as it needs a power supply and input of aerial and output up to 6 tvs.
i'm sure someone with the know how willbe along sometime soon
at my old house i found a constant 240v from the cieling rose in the loft then plugged in a power amp ? not sure if thats completley safe running a spur off a light ring

cactikid
10th September, 2011, 09:12 AM
i will be adding more cable runs through a hole in the ceiling where pipes were for sat and terrestrial,sometimes best to have an earthed appliance in attic as some houses just have 2 wires.

cablefreejunkie
10th September, 2011, 11:10 AM
just spur off of your existing lighting circuit that runs through the loft feeding the upstairs lighting,
as mentioned earlier you need to come from a ceiling rose,,spur off of the permanent 240v side in the rose,,if in doubt or a bit nervous with electric get a pro in,,you wouldnt want to burn your house down now, would you