PDA

View Full Version : hot water tap

footycard steve
11th September, 2011, 01:01 PM
i cant get any water from the hot water tap for the bath all other taps and shower working fine,its a brass tap turn anti- clockwise for water turn clockwise to turn off recently when its been turned on its just been a trickle but if i turned it anti- clockwise further it would stop then come on full turning further anti-clockwise but today i cant turn it as far as normal and no water at all is coming out,can anyone diagnose the problem and let me know what needs to be done?

Grizz
11th September, 2011, 02:08 PM
maybe the rubber washer is damaged. turn off water and take it apart. you can get washers in a hardware shop.

cactikid
11th September, 2011, 02:55 PM
strange tap turning the opposite way,most are clockwise for off and anti clockwise for on same as a screw lid bottle top.

footycard steve
11th September, 2011, 03:41 PM
strange tap turning the opposite way,most are clockwise for off and anti clockwise for on same as a screw lid bottle top.
yes i got it wrong anti-clockwise to turn on and clockwise to turn it off

patkins
11th September, 2011, 08:00 PM
It could be air locked although I doubt it or it could be that the spindle has separated from the valve face as with some instantor valves.

chucklor
11th September, 2011, 10:39 PM
I have a mixer tap and hot turns on clockwise and cold turns on anti clockwise it was a bit akward to get used to, as regards your tap i have had the same prob in the past, take off the chrome or brass cover, and you will see the brass valve inside, unscrew this and take it to the plumbers merchant and replace it, they dont cost too much and before reassembly clean inside the tap housing with a kettle descaler, also make sure you isolate the water before doing it, or drain down the water in a gravity system....chuck

daithi
12th September, 2011, 12:07 AM
I have a mixer tap and hot turns on clockwise and cold turns on anti clockwise it was a bit akward to get used to, as regards your tap i have had the same prob in the past, take off the chrome or brass cover, and you will see the brass valve inside, unscrew this and take it to the plumbers merchant and replace it, they dont cost too much and before reassembly clean inside the tap housing with a kettle descaler, also make sure you isolate the water before doing it, or drain down the water in a gravity system....chuck

this happens mate so the hot and cold mix together
god nos how many taps ive turned on and the water flows one half cold and the other hot

footycard steve
12th September, 2011, 10:32 AM
just had a try to get the top half of the tap off it seems like a nut but i'm using a thick adjustable spanner and i dont have much room to grip and turn due to the spindles on the tap (4 nobbly spindles) and it seems to be taking the brass coating off,should i be trying to remove the whole tap?

Grizz
12th September, 2011, 12:00 PM
prise off the plastic button that says H on the top, there should be a screw underneath to remove spindles.

edit
(H might screw off too. i think ive seen some that do)