PDA

View Full Version : anything i need to know

tamgunner
14th September, 2011, 11:05 PM
hi all ive just got maself a samsung galaxy s the other day its got the latest software on it. im new to android and want to know if theres anything i need to watch or what.

like do i need antivirus?
do apps exit or keep running in the back ground?

really just any tips u have would be great :)

happy_highlander
14th September, 2011, 11:21 PM
hi all ive just got maself a samsung galaxy s the other day its got the latest software on it. im new to android and want to know if theres anything i need to watch or what.

like do i need antivirus?
do apps exit or keep running in the back ground?

really just any tips u have would be great :)

Use lookout anti virus it's free from the market. Apps will only continue to run in the background if you exit them by pressing the home key (middle button) to exit and close the app always use the right hand key to back out of it. One more tip is that when recording video if you pause it then accidentally hit the right hand key (back key) you will lose whatever you have been filming as it is not saved until you press stop. Have a read here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1170625 you might find some useful stuff

tamgunner
15th September, 2011, 12:03 AM
nice one cheers does the antivirus use up battery power? and is the android always getting viruses?

sorry for all the questions.

happy_highlander
15th September, 2011, 08:04 AM
Lookout is one of the least power hungry anti virus as it only runs when it does a back up or when it scans an app. It scans every app for virus as you install them. android has very few virus and being linux based you have to give them permission to run if you read the intro to android from the link I gave you there is an explanation on what android is how it operates and what to look out for. I have also done a guide to rooting your galaxy s that is in the android section. Rooting is explained on the intro to android. Don't worry about asking questions, we don't learn anything by keeping quiet

cdstack
15th September, 2011, 06:17 PM
you could flash it with a custom rom like a darky rom

tamgunner
15th September, 2011, 06:36 PM

would that not void the warranty tho?

happy_highlander
15th September, 2011, 06:37 PM
He could but give him a chance to get his head round the phone first. I'm running darky 10.2 extreme with the 2.9.1 darckcore kernel on a gb 2.3.4 (JVQ) base and find it very smooth sleek and fast. What do you have on your phone at the minute.

happy_highlander
15th September, 2011, 06:39 PM
would that not void the warranty tho?
yes it does mate so does rooting and none of them are necessary to run cracked (free) apps but the performance increase is immense without the battery draining anymore than if on stock (standard)

tamgunner
15th September, 2011, 06:48 PM
yes it does mate so does rooting and none of them are necessary to run cracked (free) apps but the performance increase is immense without the battery draining anymore than if on stock (standard)

i thought it might do im unsure if i should go down that road because its under warranty and only had it for a few days. so far ive only found one app that needs the fone rooted. and found another one with regards to wifi that doesnt work. doubt i can talk about that app here tho.

happy_highlander
15th September, 2011, 06:53 PM
i thought it might do im unsure if i should go down that road because its under warranty and only had it for a few days. so far ive only found one app that needs the fone rooted. and found another one with regards to wifi that doesnt work. doubt i can talk about that app here tho.
If you have any questions you don't want to ask in the open forum feel free to pm me. If you have a look at posts 4 and 8 in this thread http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f198/has-anyone-done-quadrant-bench-test-their-phone-lately-215268/ you will see the performance difference a custom rom can make to exactly the same phone

tamgunner
15th September, 2011, 08:37 PM
thanks m8 i will do. have got one question ive seen pictures of the galaxy s havin a clock and weather bar at the top of the homescreen and the google search bar underneath im assuming thats live wallpaper or an app? any ideas where i could get it?

happy_highlander
15th September, 2011, 11:10 PM
thanks m8 i will do. have got one question ive seen pictures of the galaxy s havin a clock and weather bar at the top of the homescreen and the google search bar underneath im assuming thats live wallpaper or an app? any ideas where i could get it?

They are widgets just have a look on the market for a weather app them download it. As for google search and clock you should already have them to add the widget to your home screen, goto whatever one of your home screens you want it displayed on and holds your finger on the screen where there is nothing to press and you will get a pop up box asking what you want to instal on that screen. Select widget and that will bring up another list of all your available widgets. Just have a play about with them to are what suits you. To remove a widget or anything else you have added to a home screen press and hold what you want to get rid of and a bin will appear at the bottom of the screen. Drag what you are holding towards the bin and when it turns red let it go and it will disappear. You have only deleted a shortcut by doing this so if you want to put it back bring up your widgets list and it will still be there. You just need to have a play around these phones can be customized in more ways than you can imagine. I like my home pages pretty clean so don't use a lot of widgets. What you need to remember is a widget is streaming live info to your home page so is always running, in short if you have a lot of live feed widgets you will not have as good battery life as someone who hasn't many running. Don't let that put you off using them there is probably only about an hours difference from lots of widget to none in battery life

happy_highlander
16th September, 2011, 08:38 AM
Is this the type of weather thing you are looking for. I found one last night and took a screen shout of my phone

tamgunner
16th September, 2011, 10:03 AM
Is this the type of weather thing you are looking for. I found one last night and took a screen shout of my phone

aye something like that. that looks quite good actually :)

:party:

happy_highlander
16th September, 2011, 07:07 PM
aye something like that. that looks quite good actually :)

:party:

That one is called 3D digital weather and is a widget