PDA

View Full Version : Citroen C5 series I ESP G-Sensor help (Immobilize)

Night0wl
16th September, 2011, 02:34 AM
Hi everyone

First of I have to say very informative forum. Pretty awesome, but unfortunately nothing about my specific problem.

My Citroen C5 Series one has a very specific ESP/ASR problem. Please do not reply if not familiar with the things in thread title. I have heard the same standard replies way more times than I can count, which is how I ended up here. Experts can skip the next part.

Yes, the ABS wheel sensors are fine
Yes, the wiring is 100% ok
Yes, the Citroen Diagnostics test says there is no ESP/ASR fault
I have already replaced the wheel sensors, tires, tire pressure ok, Brakedisks, all hydraulic and or mechanical parts ok. EVERYTHING else works. The car is in perfect condition.
Yes, the box is definitely ESP/ARS related and not Airbag related. I made sure by unplugging it and it says ESP/ASR MALFUNCTION. I also tried unmounting it and turning it 90 degrees sideways. That was a fun ride :dancing:
And last but not least my local shop claims there is nothing wrong and the part has never ever been replaced before here where I live.. on any Citroen, Renault or Mercedes... The cars they sell.

After lots and lots of faultfinding, testing and pure stubbornness I think I have managed to pinpoint the fault to the G-Sensor in between the seats. Problem is a new one costs A LOT of money and it's not even in stock at my local (and only) Citroen shop. I can't simply unplug it, since it gives a fault right away and then deactivates ESP/ASR, so this leaves me with one option. Cheat the car into thinking it's working.

Does anyone here know the buildup of the G-Sensor and more specifically. Does anyone know how to immobilize it, without the car finding out? Thus making my car both safer and also being 100% sure that it's the only source of the problem.

Even if you don't know how to immobilize it, just the specific buildup would be great, since it's very important I don't wreck it while tinkering with it.

My car is a Citroen C5 2.2HDi 2002 model (Series I)
VIN: VF7DC4HXB 76263701
02271CJ
DAM (at least I think that is it) 10086

Thank you very much for any help anyone can provide.

Cheers

NightOwl

oldford
17th September, 2011, 09:47 AM
What is your problem?

Night0wl
17th September, 2011, 02:08 PM
Problem is that ESP/ARS kicks in when it shouldn't. I need to try and immobilize that G-Sensor, without the car finding out. I can't just unplug it, since the car gives an ESP/ASR error right away when doing that.

I need to take the sensor apart and (I'm guessing) remove some G-Force measuring component, without wrecking the thing. I am not familiar with the buildup, thus would love some info about it.

If I turn off ESP/ASR the car works perfect. I want to see if I get the same result by immobilizing that sensor, because if so, then I can start hunting down a used one from wherever I can get one cheap. The price of a new one is nuts.

oldford
17th September, 2011, 02:58 PM
Ever tried reading vehicle speeds when the ASR kicks in?
Or reading Steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration and Yaw at that moment?
It must be possible to prove what the reason is why the ESP or ASR kicks in. It would be nice just to know whether it's the ASR part or the ESP part that kicks in. That knowledge would elimate a lot of possibilities.

An ESP system uses 2 G-sensors to find out if the car is doing what the driver wants. If you mess with the signal of either one of these, the cornering is going to be interesting, to say the least. So, how do you know you have found the G-sensor that is the cause? If it is the cause.

Night0wl
17th September, 2011, 08:03 PM
I actually don't know if it is the culprit. Which is why I need to mess with it. Had no idea it was two of them though. Then the other one can just as well be at cause.

The one I found is in between the seats. Where might the other one be located?

I don't have a tester for the car right now, but will soon.

Meat-Head
18th September, 2011, 10:35 AM
so for testing purposes, can you mount this sensor to a block of wood and rubber?

would be inclined to look on ebay and see if somebody from Ingland or Emerica has one of these.

What do you call dear? Have noticed thatnon Inglish people call anything over ?10 dear.

Night0wl
18th September, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'm not English and when I say expensive, I mean 5000DKK new (+$900) and 828SEK + shipping and tax used (around $230).

+ Now oldford says there are even two of those damn things in my car :(

BTW I am getting a Lexia tester soon. Would it be able to measure all these things mentioned by oldford? If not, then what kind of equipment would, because taking to my local Citroen shop is money out the window without a solution. I've tried that already.