PDA

View Full Version : Radiators and Physics

ChelseaBun
19th September, 2011, 12:47 PM
the past few days/weeks i've needed to put the radiators on, maybe an hour a day.

It is at the highest setting it can go, both on the radiators and the thermostat, but it just seems to heat the place to an 'ok' temperature.

Problem is come winter it's gonna be soo much colder,

so the question is,

will it actually feel warmer in the winter because the temperature difference (going from the cold to hot) is so much greater? So surely we will notice the heat more?

Or will it just be too cold that we wont feel the heat at all?

Shady
19th September, 2011, 12:49 PM
sounds like they need bleeding to me

ChelseaBun
19th September, 2011, 12:52 PM
will give that a try (or Garry will I don't know how) hopefully that works.

Shady
19th September, 2011, 12:54 PM
lol, go to tool shop, ask for radiator key. on one side of the rad, at the top, will be a little square nut that the key fits, put key on, get bowl ready to catch shite inside... turn key until air comes out..
when shite goes into bowl, turn key opposite way.

ChelseaBun
19th September, 2011, 12:59 PM
that sounds fun!

Im guessing the radiators have to be off so you dont get scalded with roasting water? lol

Shady
19th September, 2011, 01:07 PM
erm.....yeah lol

ChelseaBun
19th September, 2011, 01:11 PM
cool, i'll look in the 'man drawer' for a key once they've cooled, and give it a try! :p

nara
19th September, 2011, 01:33 PM
cool, i'll look in the 'man drawer'

Careful, you never know what you'll find in there!

ChelseaBun
19th September, 2011, 01:34 PM
Careful, you never know what you'll find in there!

lol on second thoughts, maybe i'll ask permission first... Haha

cactikid
19th September, 2011, 11:58 PM
How to bleed a radiator - YouTube

Evastar
21st September, 2011, 04:41 PM
i bleed the rads with the heat on, and use kitchen roll to catch the water when it comes out. just be ready to turn the key to shut the valve the second the water starts coming out.

don't worry if the water that comes out is black, that's pretty normal.

trent1579
21st September, 2011, 10:21 PM
hi,

1. check the radiator for any cold areas

2. bleed radiator valve if necessary

3. if the first 2 don't work you need to balance the radiators(this is not placing a spirit level on top of rad) but balancing the flow by adjusting the return valve at the bottom of the rad(opposite end to flow)

example: the first radiator will have the return valve nearly shut ,the second rad will have the return valve open slightly more the third rad open slighty more and so on the last rad on the system will have the return fully open.

4 if all the above fails check to see if you have the correct size of rad as per btu
Radcalcs radiator btu sizing site (http://www.radcalcs.com/)

cablefreejunkie
21st September, 2011, 11:18 PM
go to every rad and bleed as mentioned above, once you have done that on every rad do the following,,open the thermostat fully on aech one,,then shut the lockshield on each rad,,the lockshield is on the opposite end to the thermostat,,turn it clockwise until you cannot turn it anymore so its fully shut,,then switch the hesting on
then turn the lockshield a quarter of a turn anti clockwise on every rad starting downstairs waorking your way round and then upstairs,,this will then limit the water flowing through the rad too quickly,,you will then get balanced hot rads all through the house

ChelseaBun
22nd September, 2011, 04:57 AM
last 2 comments just went way over my head.

Im still to buy a key to bleed them.

But if that doesn't work don't I just phone someone in, cant imagine insurance would cover me starting mucking about with stuff. :/

cablefreejunkie
23rd September, 2011, 08:00 AM
the thermostat is on one end of the rad at the bottom and the lockshield is at the opposite end,,google it and the above two comments should then make some sense,,if you call someone in you will probably get ripped off unless you know a plumber or a good diy handyman/woman

andy91
23rd September, 2011, 08:09 AM
If your gonna bleed rads you need to do it with the heating off cos with the heating on the pump is running.
More likely to suck air in!
Always best to start from the rad nearest the pump.
Ive a dodgy cold spot on my rads and no matter what i do it comes back but sometimes shutting down the thermosat on the rad will force more hot water to the other rads so you could try turning one off completly to see if all the others get hotter.

Andy.

ChelseaBun
23rd September, 2011, 08:13 AM
thanks :), going to the shops to get a key for it today so will give it a try tonight.

Hopefully it works, don't want to freeze this winter :(

ChelseaBun
23rd September, 2011, 10:52 AM
the water is coming out clear, no gunk :(

and the bottom bit isn't moving.

Maybe i'm just destined to be dressed like a yeti all winter in my house :( lol

garry1312
23rd September, 2011, 12:19 PM
I will bleed them when I get in from work geez do I have to do everything :P lol

ChelseaBun
23rd September, 2011, 02:02 PM
I will bleed them when I get in from work geez do I have to do everything :p lol

lol yes boss :p ;)

skywash
25th October, 2011, 09:10 PM
turn heating on feel all rads if they need bleeding they will be hot at bottom and cold at the top, if you have a combi boiler dont forget to top up boiler when you have finished bleeding the rads

daithi
25th October, 2011, 09:25 PM
where the ~~~~ have ypu been washy ya slow ***** lol
shes probably got a new heating system in since she posted here lol