PDA

View Full Version : Polo 2004 1.2 3CYL new ECM

Andywill
19th September, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi all.... I've got a polo with a suspect ECM issue. I have Vas 5054a...is there a proceedure through VAS to perhaps extract ECM info, then load it to new ECM, including immobiliser info. Im worried this might need dealer coding for the immobiliser. Thank you.

Liteace
19th September, 2011, 04:17 PM
Think your going to need SKC for this, does the new ECM have a pin code with it

Andywill
19th September, 2011, 11:56 PM
the ecm isnt ordered yet, was wanting to know if it was feasible to simply extract info from old unit and transfer using vas5054A.......

chriskross
23rd September, 2011, 08:55 PM
the ecm isnt ordered yet, was wanting to know if it was feasible to simply extract info from old unit and transfer using vas5054A.......

not possible, easiest way swap the eeprom!!!

:party:

Meat-Head
23rd September, 2011, 10:18 PM
1) what is the problem
2) do you hear the sounds of horses running through the night?
3) Ever woundered what is chasing them
4) download ecu off ebay, swap e2p - 24c02 or 93c56 at a guess

alessioblaupunkt
24th September, 2011, 12:17 AM
Meat-Head is right!
What is the problem?

If you have no spark, the 1.2 3 cyl is famous to go out of timing, due to bad timing chain tensioner.

If it is, in diagnosis it's stored this kind of error "phase sensor: insufficient signal".

Crank the engine, remove spark plug, if they are wet you have fuel but no spark, do a scan and post the results here.

Meat-Head
24th September, 2011, 10:56 AM
Meat-Head is right!
What is the problem?

Crank the engine, remove spark plug, if they are wet you have fuel but no spark, do a scan and post the results here.

Yess agree with that, really WISH had kept a note of members of bad garage schemce, got bad feeling 5 maybee taken, but don't worry about it now.

Andywill
24th September, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies.... i think...lol. The vehicle issue eventuall turned out to be poor compression when investigated. But, id still like to know if a new ECM is ever put on these newer VAGs, can the stored info from the ECM be extracted and loaded in a new unit using VAS5054A...... cheers.

alessioblaupunkt
25th September, 2011, 05:11 PM
WAIT...if it is out of timing it HAS POOR COMPRESSION.
Believe me: this 1.2 3 cyl, also Nissan and Citroen with timing chain are famous for this kind of trouble.

Remember: ECU must be the last component to check/substitute, because it is very expensive and because you must do a lot of tests and measurement in the car of all other components.
Only if you check everything and you haven't what you must have from the ECU you might suspect about it.

I forgot to say a very important thing:
When you do a compression test you must ground the high voltage coming from the high voltage cable, if you don't do this the high voltage try to discharge INSIDE the coil pack, the result is coil pack destruction but outside there are no visible sign (except you have no more sparks from it).

If you have separate coils, you must ground each secondary of the coils, or disconnect the connector of the primary side of the coil ( no supply = no spark ).

Then, remember to reconnect it, or you will spend a lot of hours to understand why you have no more sparks!

Is the poor compression in all three cylinders?

AND FINALLY: ECU HAS NO RESPONSABILITY ABOUT POOR COMPRESSION!!!

First check the timing marks, if you don't know where they are give me the three letters engine code, I'll post here the Vw documentation.

Poor compression is a mechanical problem, not an ECU related problem!

Let us know as soon as possible.

Andywill
25th September, 2011, 05:30 PM
:-) Thnak you for taking time to reply. Perhaps i wasnt clear in my query. I'm happy the vehicle has a compression issue and is currently under further mechanical checks to address this. However, as a side topic, Id also like to know if anyone has any experience whether a new ECM can be correctly coded using VAS5054A by extracting old stored data, and re-introducing that data in the new ECM. For instance Renault offer this function. ..... Thank you.

alessioblaupunkt
25th September, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sorry Andywill, I didn't understand you solved the compression problem.
Excuse me, sir.

mitin
25th September, 2011, 10:25 PM
You do not need diagnosis, only transferred from the old eprom ecu to the new. it should be in it 93c76