PDA

View Full Version : Boost Me Up

opsmonkey
28th December, 2008, 01:19 AM
Hello..

Im soon to go back to work and i live away during the week.. now i can get access to the internet.. free.. but guess what..? The router is a far way off from my room.. about 500yards away.. in a different building, it is though in line of sight

For the tech spec of my WLAN its gives:

Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100 - WiFi 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N

what bumf would i need in order to get a decent reception..?
also a mate has said i could use some of his bandwith but he's in a building over the road, about 200 yards away..

any hope what so ever..?

3G Mobile BB is not a posibility as the village i work in has no 3G coverage

Curious123
28th December, 2008, 01:24 AM
I think it is possible to connect two LANS togather so it maybe possible to connect his router and your router togather if they are within range of each other.

Devilfish
28th December, 2008, 01:34 AM
It looks like the gateway has wireless-N capabilities, you could get a wireless-N adapter and connect that way. Depending on what wabsite you look at, it says it's range is 250-300 meters outdoor and 70 meters indoor.

Or even if you can add a range extender somewhere in between you and the router, so that your signal would only need to travel half the distance before being relayed by the extender.

Check out http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk

opsmonkey
28th December, 2008, 01:47 AM
sorry my fault..

the WLAN specs are from my Laptop WiFi card..

i know he (and the free router) just has a bog standard Netgear router..

i was just wondering what i need to get, as, when i search available networks i have none in range..

i can see the free router in the barrack block 500 yards away, clear line of sight accross a grassy island and road.. do i need a usb wifi card with a big kick ass antenna to be able to 'see' his router when i scan available networks..? or can i boost the onboard card at all..?

ianmac
28th December, 2008, 03:12 AM
sorry my fault..

the WLAN specs are from my Laptop WiFi card..

i know he (and the free router) just has a bog standard Netgear router..

i was just wondering what i need to get, as, when i search available networks i have none in range..

i can see the free router in the barrack block 500 yards away, clear line of sight accross a grassy island and road.. do i need a usb wifi card with a big kick ass antenna to be able to 'see' his router when i scan available networks..? or can i boost the onboard card at all..?

Don't know if it's possible where you are, but if they don't mind loosing part signal in one direction (the opposite direction to you),
you can direct any signal from the normal 360 deg circle and project it towards a paticular direction by placing a metal plate behind the arial/router which will then reflect the signal and boost it in the opposite direction.
It has not got to be a large metal plate but if it is curved or dome shaped it will reflect better.