PDA

View Full Version : Disc tray probs

.: JaCkPoT :.
28th December, 2008, 04:03 AM
My disc tray is having problems... It doesnt read anything... Only once in every 5 tries it reads a disc or it says play dvd or open tray...any ideas.. Will this be covered by garantee? Box is genuine...

fatlip180
28th December, 2008, 10:59 AM
i would have thought so, give m$ a ring. nothing to loose

im having a problem with my drive where the mech wont open the tray without me persuading it by turning the little wheel under neath the tray

C64
28th December, 2008, 11:30 AM
i would have thought so, give m$ a ring. nothing to loose

im having a problem with my drive where the mech wont open the tray without me persuading it by turning the little wheel under neath the tray

Replace the rubber band on the wheel mate, it has worn out and isn't providing the proper tension.

fatlip180
30th December, 2008, 11:01 AM
cheers for that pal

bhoy1
30th December, 2008, 11:29 AM
The tray can get bent down so it is off alignement, try to bend it back up, worked on my 360!!

millerlfc
30th December, 2008, 02:56 PM
my 1 ive just bought off friend is doin the same what can i do to fix this havent got a clue newbie to this its been modded tho some games work some dont it just says open tray is it cos its been modded let me no cheers

C64
30th December, 2008, 03:03 PM
my 1 ive just bought off friend is doin the same what can i do to fix this havent got a clue newbie to this its been modded tho some games work some dont it just says open tray is it cos its been modded let me no cheers

'Open Tray' means that the drive isn't detecting the disc at all, it's a pretty serious sign that your laser is either needing replaced or cleaned.

If your drive is sticking when trying to open then hit the 360 a slap on top directly above the dvd drive and it will open, this will only work for a few months though as the rubber tensioner is needing replaced.

millerlfc
30th December, 2008, 03:09 PM
how much will laser cost to fix its an old xbox hitachi drive i think

jlively
30th December, 2008, 06:13 PM
how much will laser cost to fix its an old xbox hitachi drive i think

The xbox 360 HD67 Laser that you need can be bought of ebAY for aprox ?12 but you will have to desolder the anti static point on the laser! If you dont have a soldering iron or know some one who can do it for you, i would sugest buying a new hitachi drive of ebay for aprox ?28 from the far east and put your pcb board from your knackered drive into the new drive when it arrives.

millerlfc
30th December, 2008, 09:49 PM
ive seen repair service on ebay for 40 pound postage an return mite just try that what dou reckon

C64
30th December, 2008, 10:41 PM
ive seen repair service on ebay for 40 pound postage an return mite just try that what dou reckon

Try and do it yourself mate, that's the nature of this website, to stop people having to goto Traders to pay over the odds for simple fixes.

Replacing a laser on the Xbox is incredibly easy mate, if you ask nicely then the seller may even remove the anti-static solder for u before posting :)

?6 plus postage on eBay for a laser, got to be worth a try at those prices?!

millerlfc
30th December, 2008, 11:20 PM
Try and do it yourself mate, that's the nature of this website, to stop people having to goto Traders to pay over the odds for simple fixes.

Replacing a laser on the Xbox is incredibly easy mate, if you ask nicely then the seller may even remove the anti-static solder for u before posting :)

?6 plus postage on eBay for a laser, got to be worth a try at those prices?!
what tools do u need an how much

C64
30th December, 2008, 11:28 PM
what tools do u need an how much

To replace the laser...

The case of the 360 has no screws on the outside so you need to use something very small and thin to slide into the small holes on the rear to release the plastic clasps that hold it together.

Then you'll need a torx screw driver to reveal the DVD drive and motherboard, you can ppickup a set of Torx screw drivers for a quid in these cheap 'Pound' shops.

Actually opening the DVD drive requires a standard philips star screw driver, to remove the two screws that hold in the laser you will need a small star screwdriver - I think they are called 'Jeweller / Precision Drivers' or something like that, again you can buy these screwdriver sets from 'Poundland' etc.

So it'll cost you ?2 for the tools. :)

millerlfc
30th December, 2008, 11:49 PM
tools r cheap like suppose ill have to learn then.
any guides on this site or tutorials to do it

C64
31st December, 2008, 12:08 AM

Thousands of tutorials mate.

Jump onto Youtube if you want a video tutorial or use Google for diagrams etc.

jlively
1st January, 2009, 12:53 PM

Loads of guides for anything xbox related on Llamma.com (http://www.llamma.com/)

millerlfc
1st January, 2009, 05:06 PM
nice1 for the web site ive seen on .you tube how to do the laser repair so between use an them im goin to do it im a newbie ill learn in end

.: JaCkPoT :.
2nd January, 2009, 03:28 AM
Right.... I have registered my console on xbox.com and have requested a repair... I filled in the bit where you explain the problem and so on.... Now they emailed me a ticket to print out and stick on the postage box but i thought a courier comes around with a box.. Drops it off.. We pack it... He comes back for it.. And takes it away... Is this correct? Can someone give me instructions on what to do with the printable delivery label please...