PDA

View Full Version : Gutters and Downpipe painting

Kalipo
2nd October, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hi, Anyway we're in the process of doing the outside of our house up..

We have had a large problem with the previous owner and his paint colour prefrences on the external paint.. EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING is/was painted terracotta UGG..

Yesterday i painted the soffit boards black from that rank colour.. :(.. im now at the stage of the gutters.. ive replaced a few sections due to them being cracked. so today i started to paint with gutter and drain gloss.. but it doesnt apply too well with a paint brush :(.. it says on the tin that its waterbased.. so i cleaned the brush with just plain water and it all came off :)..

So i was wondering if a small roller would do the job?? or are there any other ways to apply this ??

Gates > terracotta GONE
Bay window tiles > terracotta GONE
Lead flashing > terracotta GONE
Door step and sandstone > terracotta GONE
Garage doors > terracotta GONE

torchy
3rd October, 2011, 02:17 PM
You need something more hard wearing than water based paint outside kal a good downpour and it will be on the floor.Get yourself a tin of gloss and just paint it out with either one coat paint or undercoat then gloss for a longer lasting finish.

Kalipo
3rd October, 2011, 05:42 PM
You need something more hard wearing than water based paint outside kal a good downpour and it will be on the floor.Get yourself a tin of gloss and just paint it out with either one coat paint or undercoat then gloss for a longer lasting finish.
How do torch..

Yeah i know :P.. the paint is a gloss pal.. its a proper drain/gutter paint.. but it goes on water based.. doesnt wash off as i tried it on a section :).. and as you know it pissed it down yesterday.

torchy
3rd October, 2011, 07:06 PM
How do torch..

Yeah i know :P.. the paint is a gloss pal.. its a proper drain/gutter paint.. but it goes on water based.. doesnt wash off as i tried it on a section :).. and as you know it pissed it down yesterday.

Kal get yourself one of those little radiator rollers not the fluffy one get the smooth sponge one. You will rip through that in no time m8 :)

maca
3rd October, 2011, 07:14 PM
mini rollers = smooth = gloss. woolen = emultion ;)

Kalipo
3rd October, 2011, 08:17 PM
Cheers guys.. legends are always here to help.. :) :)

i shall go buy one.. i was gonna go up today but the wind made my knees nobble at the thought.. so i went back to bed after work lol..

Thanks again :)

patkins
7th October, 2011, 11:02 PM
Kal you can get Hammerite in black and it might be better on the drain pipes.
Was the previous owner Terry Cotter by any chance?

Kalipo
8th October, 2011, 04:29 PM
Kal you can get Hammerite in black and it might be better on the drain pipes.
Was the previous owner Terry Cotter by any chance?

Cheers pal.. ive got a few tins of diferent style paints im waiting to try.. still waiting for a day that is A) Dry and B)not windy..

I finish work @ 2 daily so have plenty of light left before the end of the month.. just need good weather :)

I will keep this in mind if it all fails.. ..

Want the front of the house done at least before winter comes.. Thanks guys :)